Monhegan Friendship

  • vscopeland
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8, 2009
      I'm trying to get the plans for the 18' Monhegan. I've faxed and mailed PB & H and haven't gotten a response. Anybody have a set of plans they'd part with?
      Thanks,
      Scot
    • pvanderwaart
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 9, 2009
        > I'm trying to get the plans for the 18' Monhegan. I've faxed and mailed PB & H and haven't gotten a response.
        > Anybody have a set of plans they'd part with?

        In the podcast on http://www.furledsails.com/, Bolger says he has a stack of old mail that will never get answered, but that they are keeping up with new correspondence. I would have thought they would keep up with orders in any event, but who knows. If you didn't try recently, I try again.
      • vscopeland
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 9, 2009
          I've faxed and mailed a letter all within the past two-three weeks, and I left two different ways of reply. In the past I've corresponded with prompt replies. This is why I suspect there's someone out there with an unused set of plans that might be willing to let them go. I read elsewhere that this boat was originally drawn for use by the Amateur Yacht Building Society, which I guess Jim Betts founded.
          Scot

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 9, 2009
            >> > I'm trying to get the plans for the 18' Monhegan. I've faxed and mailed

            I am pretty sure that the full set of Monhegan plans is reproduced in
            small scale in Bolger's book _Small Boats_. And, that book while out
            of print, is the most easily available out of print Bolger book. (I
            see two copies presently for sale right now for under $17 at
            www.abebooks.com)

            Here are a few isometric renderings of Monhegan which I made from the
            plans in the book.

            http://www.flickr.com/photos/hallman/tags/monhegan/
          • vscopeland
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 9, 2009
              Ah, so you're the fellow that has done all that beautiful work! Wow. I have seen them, but many thanks. The first thing I want to do is make a half model of the Monhegan; it's such a beautiful hull it's a shame half of it is under water!
              Scot

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:

              > I am pretty sure that the full set of Monhegan plans is reproduced in
              > small scale in Bolger's book _Small Boats_. And, that book while out
              > of print, is the most easily available out of print Bolger book. (I
              > see two copies presently for sale right now for under $17 at
              > www.abebooks.com)
              >
              > Here are a few isometric renderings of Monhegan which I made from the
              > plans in the book.
              >
              > http://www.flickr.com/photos/hallman/tags/monhegan/

            • John and Kathy Trussell
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 9, 2009
                I got hooked on traditional boats when I saw a profile drawing of Monhegan
                in a "Motorboating and Sailing" magazine in the early 70's. I subsequently
                ordered a portfolio of plans from PCB which included Monhegan. With the
                addition of a few more designs and an essay on each design, the portfolio
                became Small Boats. As much as I lusted after the lovely Monhegan, I saw a
                picture of one in the 'Launchings' section of "Woodenboat" in the late 70's
                or early '80's. It was apparent from the picture and crew that Monhegan is
                a big model of a Freindship and is too small for normal sized adults to sail
                in (similar to the very pretty but too small Cape Dory Typhoon). Even with
                the simplified concrete ballast, Monhegan is a pretty complicated and
                expensive shape. If you want a small keel boat, I think PCB's Yarrow might
                be a better choice. But I still think Monhegan is the prettiest boat PCB
                ever drew.

                JohnT

                _____