New june bug on the block

  • Maximo
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4 2:16 PM
      From january to april, I helped a friend to build a June bug, we tested
      under oars and with a Tohatsu 5 hp (long shaft) my friend already has. We
      are very happy. We had to modify the transom to accept the long shaft. He is
      going to use sail and mast from an optimist.

      http://www.promax.com.ar/junebug/

      PS: I sold my Diablo. I m thinking finally to build Idaho. I have to figure
      out the weight, because my club crane only support up to 1000 kilos.

      Regards, Maximo.
    • Sam Glasscock
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4 4:45 PM
        Sold the Diablo!!  Did you consult your dog first? Somebody sure got a pretty boat when you sold that one, Maximo.  I don't think an Idaho will weigh more than 1000 kilos all up.  Sam

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 5 4:47 AM
          They are wonderful pictures of the Junebug, especially in the water. It is a wonderful boat. We use one as a rowing dingy on the bolger Houseboat #481 and built it very light weight to cary on the roof. It is a joy to move it around and to row. Also occassionally with the 2 h.p. honda it is a great skiff and also transports well on the roof racks of almost any car. regards and congratulations Maximo on a nice job. Paul

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Maximo" <grupos@...> wrote:

          > From january to april, I helped a friend to build a June bug, we tested
          > under oars and with a Tohatsu 5 hp (long shaft) my friend already has. We
          > are very happy. We had to modify the transom to accept the long shaft. He is
          > going to use sail and mast from an optimist.
          >
          > http://www.promax.com.ar/junebug/
          >
          > PS: I sold my Diablo. I m thinking finally to build Idaho. I have to figure
          > out the weight, because my club crane only support up to 1000 kilos.
          >
          > Regards, Maximo.

        • Fred Schumacher
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 5 5:35 AM
            What kind of plywood is that with such wild grain? I love it.

            Fred

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 5 7:12 PM
              Hello Sam! yes, my dog agree :)
              OK I will do the math with Idaho weight.

              Thank you Paul, we also transport june bug on the car roof.

              Fred, the plywood is "Guayca". I have no idea how to translate.
              One face regular and one face bad :)

              It is very difficult to find 4 x 8 foot plywood (1.22 m x 2.44 m), because
              for construction, they use 1.60 m x 2.20 m

              Máximo
            • Mark Albanese
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 5 8:54 PM
                In the US, ply that looks like this is sold under the name Auroco, a
                Chilean plantation grown pine.

                I bullt a Brick with it once. The sheets were quite well made,
                probably B/C, and inexpensive, though here in the moist PNW quite
                subject to rapid mildew.
                Mark