Alter Pointy Skiff for Power?

  • maxmerlin30
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3, 2009
      To build a pointy Skiff primarily for use with a small motor, wouldn't one want the stern to be full width and the aft rocker eliminated, providing more volume to better support the motor and operator's weight? Would construction be as simple as leaving the bottom of side panels flat from midships aft, then fitting an appropriately sized transom?
    • dnjost
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2009
        I used a 4hp 20" cycle Johnson on my pointy skiff for years. I now use an electric trolling motor as the trout like it better. I don't believe any modifications are necessary. Sit on a pair of oars laid between the center and stern thwarts.

        David Jost
      • maxmerlin30
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5, 2009
          Thanks. Another thought along those lines was to omit the stern
          thwart and build a seat/storage box unit which I could place wherever
          needed to properly trim the boat.

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <davidjost@...> wrote:

          > I used a 4hp 20" cycle Johnson on my pointy skiff for years. I now use
          an electric trolling motor as the trout like it better. I don't believe
          any modifications are necessary. Sit on a pair of oars laid between the
          center and stern thwarts.

          > David Jost

        • dnjost
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 7, 2009
            I had a similar thought but realized its best use is as a flotation compartment. Mine is filled with cut up pieces of Styrofoam that I scavenged from the harbor after a few storms had busted up the docks during the winter. (It is a good time to go on a Styrofoam expedition through your local salt marsh. The environment benefits and so do you.