Bantam plans

  • hobyarr
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 27, 2009
      Hello Bob, John and all
      There are heaps of mods to the original Bantam that enhance it's
      useabilty and economy. When ordering plans what do we ask for or what
      do we get. Do we just recieve the original and annoy you fellows later
      on and work it out or do the plans include the mods mentioned in
      So far we've seen lengths from 20'-26'in 2' increments and bridgedeck
      clearance from 5"-12" and transom depth from 0-6".
      Are there any variations on the motor mounting, extending the sponsons
      behind the main hull and motor mount to protect motor and provide
      steps for access. Any other design thoughts, mods, etc
      Thanks - Darrell
    • Bob Slimak
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 27, 2009
        Hi Darrell,
        Glad to see that John did read the post and answer. Now I'm really
        psyched up to try the 9.9 instead of the 25. I really want better gas
        mileage. I know gas will not stay this cheap. His posting makes me
        want to get back to Florida next winter and do the keys.
        What I mean by the cabin not being attached is that the cabin sides
        fold up and hook to the underside of the cabin top. At that point the
        cabin top and sides are only floating on the cables from the 4 post.
        When you have the top winched all the way up you then fold up the rear
        panel and the two front panels. The front door is hinged to the port
        side front panel. These panels are attached to the boat. With them in
        the up position you then unhook the side panels and let them drop
        down. Then you slowly winch the top down until it mates with the other
        panels. You then lock the top into place with two turnbuckles at the
        front, snugged up only by hand. This locks the top and sides to the
        panels that ARE attached to the boat. As I said before, this is
        actually easy with two people, but a pain with one, as the cabin top
        and sides float on those cables and wind, gravity by not being level,
        etc means it has to be pushed into alignment for it to snap into
        place. Easy with two, a pain with one. If I end up keeping the boat as
        is, I'm thinking of changing the hand winch over to a 12V remote
        controlled motor so I can be inside as it lowers to push things into
        place. I can't do that and be outside hand cranking the winch. John
        solved all this by building a regular non folding cabin since he was
        not trailering far. If you order the plans from Bolger I believe you
        get all the updates.
        Oh yeah. Toms article mentions the removeable bow section. That was
        on the original because the original client wanted the boat to fit
        into a small garage. Not ever having a reason to want to remove the
        bow I built it without that. Much easier. Because I don't remove the
        bow I trailer it in the normal bow forward way instead of trying to
        back onto the trailer, which you have to do in order to remove the
        bow. You can see that in Toms photos.
        Anyway, all this talk about boating has me wishing summer would hurry
        up and get here. Also have to make sure I don't get stuck here next
        winter like I did this one. I have been gone the last three winter and
        don't much like being stuck here this one:(
        On another note, I have a friend who is down in Melbourne for a few
        weeks. He emailed that he wanted to walk down by the water to see if
        he could find some boats to look at, but said everything was being
        ruined by condo construction. Such a shame that you're having the
        same destruction that we have had with these human sized beehives. I
        always hope for Hurricanes to come along and knock them down. They
        don't belong on a coast.
        Bob

        In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "hobyarr" <knic0014@...> wrote:

        > Hello Bob, John and all
        > There are heaps of mods to the original Bantam that enhance it's
        > useabilty and economy. When ordering plans what do we ask for or what
        > do we get. Do we just recieve the original and annoy you fellows later
        > on and work it out or do the plans include the mods mentioned in
        > So far we've seen lengths from 20'-26'in 2' increments and bridgedeck
        > clearance from 5"-12" and transom depth from 0-6".
        > Are there any variations on the motor mounting, extending the sponsons
        > behind the main hull and motor mount to protect motor and provide
        > steps for access. Any other design thoughts, mods, etc
        > Thanks - Darrell

      • hobyarr
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 28, 2009
          Thanks for the explanations Bob and it's good to see you excited by
          the prospects for improvements.
          With the option to run the bottom up to the waterline at the stern,to
          reduce wake and hence improve economy, would this then mean the Bantam
          would only be happy operating in displacement (semi) mode.
          This is not personally a problem for me provided it would run up to
          about 9/10 knot. Do you believe this is achievable and what would be
          the hull speed do you thimk. Is it going to cheat the mono formula due
          to narrow hulls if we built at about the 24'-26' ft mark.
          The fixed bow option sounds like the way to go, don't fancy trying to
          back onto a trailer especially with some wind and wave. You'd have to
          cut and raise the motor to avoid fouling the trailer pretty early I
          imagine.
          I was in Melbourne about a month ago and had similar problems but
          luckily found a ferry that toured along the waterfront to
          Williamstown, this was the only way to see anything much.
          Thanks again - Darrell

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Slimak" <otter55806@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > always hope for Hurricanes to come along and knock them down. They
          > don't belong on a coast.
          > Bob
          >

          > In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "hobyarr" <knic0014@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello Bob, John and all
          > > There are heaps of mods to the original Bantam that enhance it's
          > > useabilty and economy. When ordering plans what do we ask for or what
          > > do we get. Do we just recieve the original and annoy you fellows later
          > > on and work it out or do the plans include the mods mentioned in
          > > So far we've seen lengths from 20'-26'in 2' increments and bridgedeck
          > > clearance from 5"-12" and transom depth from 0-6".
          > > Are there any variations on the motor mounting, extending the sponsons
          > > behind the main hull and motor mount to protect motor and provide
          > > steps for access. Any other design thoughts, mods, etc

        • Bob Slimak
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 1, 2009
            Hi Darrell,
            If you put rocker into the aft hulls you are now a displacement hull.
            Trying to go up on plane would only make the rear squat down and the
            bow rise. need a straight run aft to plane. It's the same old thing
            of no one boat perfect for all things. An efficient displacement hull
            does not plane well. A boat that planes well will leave more of a wake
            at displacement speeds and use more fuel due to drag. Such is life,
            nothing is perfect:) I don't think it's possible to get 9/10 knots if
            you build with rocker, even at 26'. At 26' with the added weight of
            the hull, larger cabin, etc. you may not get that with the 25 HP
            without rocker. There are so many options with engines nowdays that I
            wish there was somewhere to rent all the different ones for an hour or
            two at a time. I have a friend who has the 9.9 on his Micro Trawler,
            so maybe I can talk him into letting me try that for a day this
            summer, but no way to try the other options. It would be nice to see
            what the Honda 15 and 20 does. If one wanted high speed more than low
            it would even be interesting to see what the 40 HP high thrust does,
            and what kind of mileage one would get with it cut back to, say 15
            mph. That may get better mileage than the 25 running all out. All
            kinds of options, no way to try them:(

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 2, 2009
              > of no one boat perfect for all things. An efficient displacement hull
              > does not plane well. A boat that planes well will leave more of a wake
              > at displacement speeds and use more fuel due to drag. Such is life,
              > nothing is perfect:)

              The biggest trade off, having a deep in the middle belly, versus a
              flat run aft; you mention. The other trade off is weight. A very
              light boat, per wetted area, planes easier than the same boat with
              lots of heavy topside work, cabin etc.. I conclude that this light
              weight is key to the PCB theory of the Tennessee and the state series
              boats. I think that is what he is saying when he mentions that these
              boat are planing while stationary, and why they have such a low wake.
            • hobyarr
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 2, 2009
                Hello Bob, John, Bruce and all
                So do you reckon that it is a straight trade off - rocker and 7/8
                speed with very good economy or flat rear run and higher speed but
                lower economy.
                What about the larger motors and running at most economical revs.
                Or possibility of keeping cabin weight down (as Bruce mentions in next
                post) with sitting headroom height and poptop all out of foam and
                keeping it to about 11'/12'with larger for and aft deck. Is this going
                to provide the "planing while stationary" state.
                Thanks - Darrell

              • Harry James
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
                  I have always been a fan of the Moccasin since I first saw it in Folding
                  Schooner. I just ran across this picture on a blog of a new Moccasin
                  taken in the Pacific NW somewhere last summer. It is on a private dock
                  and looks absolutely pristine. Anybody know anything about this boat,
                  seen it at Port Townsend?? Might not be wood.

                  http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_eB0yHCJcprg/SOvYGNPA7RI/AAAAAAAAAIw/poal-NDGJ4M/s1600/HPIM3358.JPG

                  *http://tinyurl.com/c3k9mx*

                  I would love to get my hands on pictures of this boat under sail. Pretty
                  good chance the boat is in BC judging form the other pics in the blog .
                  Any of you BC guys know of her?

                  HJ

                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
                    > I just ran across this picture on a blog of a new Moccasin

                    Wow!
                  • Harry James
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
                      I bet you THATS a Bolger boat you always wanted to build <VBG>.

                      Wow is correct, in addition to liking to see it sail, I wouldn't mind
                      just sitting and looking at it for an hour or two.

                      HJ

                      Bruce Hallman wrote:
                      >> I just ran across this picture on a blog of a new Moccasin
                      >>

                      > Wow!

                    • Doug Pollard
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
                        Harry James wrote:

                        > I have always been a fan of the Moccasin since I first saw it in Folding
                        > Schooner. I just ran across this picture on a blog of a new Moccasin
                        > taken in the Pacific NW somewhere last summer. It is on a private dock
                        > and looks absolutely pristine. Anybody know anything about this boat,
                        > seen it at Port Townsend?? Might not be wood.
                        >
                        > http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_eB0yHCJcprg/SOvYGNPA7RI/AAAAAAAAAIw/poal-NDGJ4M/s1600/HPIM3358.JPG
                        > <http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_eB0yHCJcprg/SOvYGNPA7RI/AAAAAAAAAIw/poal-NDGJ4M/s1600/HPIM3358.JPG>
                        >
                        > *http://tinyurl.com/c3k9mx* <http://tinyurl.com/c3k9mx*>
                        >
                        > I would love to get my hands on pictures of this boat under sail. Pretty
                        > good chance the boat is in BC judging form the other pics in the blog .
                        > Any of you BC guys know of her?
                        >
                        > HJ

                        Beautiful boat and fast according to a friend the sailed on the first
                        one. She and a Crocker 30 1/2 ft. ketch that I once owned were the
                        inspiration for My Aluminum Wolftrap. Moccasin is probably my all time
                        favorite boat.
                        Doug
                      • Bob Slimak
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
                          Darrell,
                          At this point I really couldn't say. If you don't mind the slower speeds, that is a sure thing. Trying to get higher speeds AND good gas mileage is iffy. That's why I said I wish there was a way to try all the outboard options, both for speed and fuel usage. I don't have that option. I can tell you a story with a Micro Trawler, however. A friend of mine owns the Micro trawler I built in 1994. That was the one Bolger designed to plane with a 25 hp outboard. As everyone knows, it didn't. It may have if you never went cruising, but once filled with the food, water, etc. it was just too heavy. It turned out that 40 to 45 was really needed. I didn't want to go that route and simply used it with a 9.9 high thrust and settled for slow speeds. When my friend got it he put on a big 70 2 stroke, after beefing up the transom considerably. With this he achieved 27 mph with a couple of people, and one time with 6 people aboard still hit 22. With normal loading of two people cruising he could cruise at 18 or 20 at 2/3s throttle. However, like me, he prefers spending most of his time going slow near shore to view the scenery and wildlife. He has gone back to a 9.9 high thrust. I guess the moral here is that Bantam, like the Micro trawler probably could benefit from using a 40 hp, but would only be good for people who think boating is all about getting somewhere fast. Another option for SOME people, not me, is to find a way to have twin outboards. Use one when you want to go slow, both when you need speed. Two 15's, however, would not give as high a speed as one 30, and would probably use more fuel, not to mention the higher cost of two engines.
                          Trying to go fast cheaply just seems to be a dream. Can only be done in a very small boat.

                        • Harry James
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
                            I was thinking that she was way up on her lines and then after blowing
                            up the pic a little bit I think she is in a berth that puts her aground.

                            HJ

                            Doug Pollard wrote:
                            > Harry James wrote:
                            >
                            >> I have always been a fan of the Moccasin since I first saw it in Folding
                            >> Schooner. I just ran across this picture on a blog of a new Moccasin
                            >> taken in the Pacific NW somewhere last summer. It is on a private dock
                            >> and looks absolutely pristine. Anybody know anything about this boat,
                            >> seen it at Port Townsend?? Might not be wood.
                            >>
                            >> http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_eB0yHCJcprg/SOvYGNPA7RI/AAAAAAAAAIw/poal-NDGJ4M/s1600/HPIM3358.JPG
                            >> <http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_eB0yHCJcprg/SOvYGNPA7RI/AAAAAAAAAIw/poal-NDGJ4M/s1600/HPIM3358.JPG>
                            >>
                            >> *http://tinyurl.com/c3k9mx* <http://tinyurl.com/c3k9mx*>
                            >>
                            >> I would love to get my hands on pictures of this boat under sail. Pretty
                            >> good chance the boat is in BC judging form the other pics in the blog .
                            >> Any of you BC guys know of her?
                            >>
                            >> HJ

                            > Beautiful boat and fast according to a friend the sailed on the first
                            > one. She and a Crocker 30 1/2 ft. ketch that I once owned were the
                            > inspiration for My Aluminum Wolftrap. Moccasin is probably my all time
                            > favorite boat.
                            > Doug

                          • Ron Badley
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
                              I think that boat is in a little lagoon inside Maple Bay on
                              Vancouver Island. It's been while since I was over that way, but, one
                              never forgets a pretty boat. Try Google earth maybe?

                              RonB.

                              On 3-Mar-09, at 1:08 PM, Harry James wrote:

                              > I have always been a fan of the Moccasin since I first saw it in
                              > Folding
                              > Schooner. I just ran across this picture on a blog of a new Moccasin
                              > taken in the Pacific NW somewhere last summer. It is on a private dock
                              > and looks absolutely pristine. Anybody know anything about this boat,
                              > seen it at Port Townsend?? Might not be wood.
                              >
                              > http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_eB0yHCJcprg/SOvYGNPA7RI/AAAAAAAAAIw/poal-NDGJ4M/s1600/HPIM3358.JPG
                              >
                              > *http://tinyurl.com/c3k9mx*
                              >
                              > I would love to get my hands on pictures of this boat under sail.
                              > Pretty
                              > good chance the boat is in BC judging form the other pics in the
                              > blog .
                              > Any of you BC guys know of her?
                              >
                              > HJ

                              > ------------------------------------

                              > dead horses
                              > posts
                              > Fax: (978) 282-1349
                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • alefoot
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
                                Home port shown as Cowichan Bay, there are a couple of pictures on this thread on WoodenBoat magazine's forum

                                http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86262

                                ...one of which shows her afloat, but under power rather than sail.

                                cheers
                                Derek
                              • Harry James
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
                                  Thanks for that further link, I saved all the photos.

                                  Boat lust is a peculiar thing, mostly unrequited--quite similar to
                                  feelings for unobtainable persona's of great attractiveness on screen or
                                  in magazines. I first fell in love with the Moccasin in the 70's reading
                                  Folding Schooner in a cold bunk in a cabin in Nome AK. I daydreamed
                                  about winning the OSTAR with her.

                                  This gentleman has spent a fortune to achieve his dream and I thank him
                                  for it.

                                  HJ

                                  alefoot wrote:
                                  > Home port shown as Cowichan Bay, there are a couple of pictures on this thread on WoodenBoat magazine's forum
                                  >
                                  > http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86262
                                  >
                                  > ...one of which shows her afloat, but under power rather than sail.
                                  >
                                  > cheers
                                  > Derek

                                • Dave Gentry
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 4, 2009
                                    > I just ran across this picture on a blog of a new Moccasin
                                    > taken in the Pacific NW somewhere last summer. It is on a private dock
                                    > and looks absolutely pristine. Anybody know anything about this boat,

                                    I took those pics, I suspect that's my blog, etc. I posted pics of her here, a while back.

                                    She is indeed in a little cove on the S end of Maple Bay, on Vancouver Island. Yes, you can just make her out on google earth. It's a very shallow inlet, and the boat was sitting on the bottom when I took those pics from my kayak.

                                    One of my favorite Bolger designs . . . I couldn't believe it when I saw her!

                                    Dave Gentry

                                    Interesting to find that people have actually seen my old cruising blog.
                                  • Harry James
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 4, 2009
                                      Found the blog with a google of Moccasin and I can't even remember why I
                                      was looking now. I totally missed your posting the pics. Many thanks.

                                      HJ

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 6, 2009
                                        Thanks for all your assistance Bob
                                        It looks like displacement is the way to go unless you turn up something miraculous in your future mods.
                                        Will look out for your results.

                                      • graeme19121984
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 10, 2009
                                          The heavy boat needs more power to provide more speed to provide more dynamic lift. Either way if it's an efficient planer at speed its bottom's angle of attack to the horizontal water plane will be similar - around 2 to 3 degrees. The stern will be deeper than the bow - the opposite to a normal displacement sailing hull or the usual tin or plastic run-about with the deep forefoot.

                                          On the plane, only a very short length of the aft bottom will actually support the boat. Usually, like a water skier taking off, there will be a lot of the bottom in contact with the water and the attitude will be steep at low (semi ?) planing speeds, but, keeping lift constant (the force opposing the skier's weight), both contact area and attack angle will decrease to the smaller values necessary at higher planing speeds. The planing State boats are there in that attitudinal zone already when stopped - they just rise up a litle.

                                          Graeme

                                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:

                                          > > of no one boat perfect for all things. An efficient displacement hull
                                          > > does not plane well. A boat that planes well will leave more of a wake
                                          > > at displacement speeds and use more fuel due to drag. Such is life,
                                          > > nothing is perfect:)
                                          >
                                          > The biggest trade off, having a deep in the middle belly, versus a
                                          > flat run aft; you mention. The other trade off is weight. A very
                                          > light boat, per wetted area, planes easier than the same boat with
                                          > lots of heavy topside work, cabin etc.. I conclude that this light
                                          > weight is key to the PCB theory of the Tennessee and the state series
                                          > boats. I think that is what he is saying when he mentions that these
                                          > boat are planing while stationary, and why they have such a low wake.

                                        • my48cj2a
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Mar 12, 2009
                                            I had a chance to see the Bantam Houseboat Pelican about a month ago.What a nice boat. It just glides along with little or no wake.I had a chance to board her and she was very stable.A fine piece of work.I can only hope to meet up with them again soon one day.In my new Phil Bolger Tennessee Sharpie.Maybe I will get lucky and get to see the Sneakeasy he has.After watching her glide away I am sure it gets the mileage he says it does.He mentioned something about a sail could be installed on her also.Now that is thinking ahead.