Re: [bolger] Re: More on Design/ BW

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 25, 2009
      > and in light of Bruce's comment- "IMO, headroom on a boat is needed
      > about as much as headroom is needed in an automobile."

      I don't want to take credit for this being an original thought. I
      recall that L. Francis Herreshoff wrote, (I think in his book Sensible
      Cruising Designs) that he never sleeps, reads, or eats standing up so
      he doesn't miss standing headroom. And, I recall reading. I forget
      where (Annie Hill?), that a negative effect of standing headroom in
      rough conditions is that you have further to get tossed around with
      increased risk of injury.
    • Doug Pollard
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 25, 2009
        Bruce Hallman wrote:

        > > and in light of Bruce's comment- "IMO, headroom on a boat is needed
        > > about as much as headroom is needed in an automobile."
        >
        > I don't want to take credit for this being an original thought. I
        > recall that L. Francis Herreshoff wrote, (I think in his book Sensible
        > Cruising Designs) that he never sleeps, reads, or eats standing up so
        > he doesn't miss standing headroom. And, I recall reading. I forget
        > where (Annie Hill?), that a negative effect of standing headroom in
        > rough conditions is that you have further to get tossed around with
        > increased risk of injury.

        I would say standing head room or not is to a great degree what you
        are doing with the boat. We lived abord Bolgers Wolf trap for 18
        months. While we were traveling, sailing the Bahammas, Florida keys and
        messing around the carolina's and Georgia stahnding head room was never
        missed. Most time was spent outdoors anyway. We slept in the cabin
        part of the time on deck some and in the cockpit some. There was
        standing room for me 5' 7" in the head where it counts cause it's nice
        to stand and pull your pants up.
        The problem began when we worked in the winter in the Chesapeake
        bay. Here you are trapped inside by cold weather snow and such. A
        winter of that gets to be a drag. We sold her and bought a Fantasia 35
        though I din't like the boat much with it's 7 ft of headroom in the main
        salon and 6ft farther forward and the aft cabin we felt much less
        confineing. A boat with lots of headroom has the feel of a much bigger
        boat though it may not be. Other than living aboard in colder climates I
        very much like the boats that are lower on top the water.
        On Wolf trap we used a biminy and izenglass side curtains. ( only
        in the winter) With a kero heater out there, a few fairly warm cloths,
        an enclosed cockpit can be great on a cold and even rainy day. The top
        needs to be plastic as any amount of rain will beat through a sunbrella
        one no matter how much you water proof them. Set under one long enough
        and the fine mist that comes through will eventually get you damp all
        over.
        Here on the Chesapeke in some places we have what is locally called
        sheep flies. The buggers bite! The must hve teeth like a tiger cause
        they hurt like hell when they bite. They are striped and look like a
        F18 with their swept back wings.

        Doug
      • hobyarr
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 27, 2009
          Thanks Doug
          Got your message and you can keep your sheep flies
          Thanks -Darrell