Re: Design choice --BW?

  • eohiggins
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 25, 2009
      Hard to imagine anything even worse than coastal sandflies. I found those flies were the
      only sure way for me to lose weight!
      Eric

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "hobyarr" <knic0014@...> wrote:

      > Hello Eric
      > I'm only 5' 16 1/2" but gotta have 7' to be comfy and I'm gunna be
      > comfy. Found sitting on floor/cushions and resting on sides in BW to
      > be relaxing, too, and that security for grandpups and dogs is also
      > appealing . Our hound is probably too good a swimmer or likes it too
      > much.
      > We'll be trying really hard to dodge the sandflies. When they're on
      > the go they create a fog looking into the sun at dawn and dusk. They
      > start to appear about a week after the floodwaters start to drop so
      > "theoretically" we should be able to stay in front of them. These
      > inland sandflies are like the coastal ones on steroids. 3 or 4 of them
      > can carry you away.
      > Thanks - Darrell
      >
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "eohiggins" <eohiggins@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Morning Graeme and Darrell:
      > > I'm 6ft4 and find the berth length in BW quite confortable. My
      > wife is 5ft2 and gets into
      > > the boat by sitting on the bowsprit from standing on the beach
      > alongside -- no problem.
      > > One of my initial reasons for liking the BW design was that
      > grandkids and dog can roam
      > > around free without ever going on deck. That's a biggie for me,
      > 'cause we used to have a
      > > clumsy little mutt who couldn't swim very well and fell overboard
      > frequently. Poor thing
      > > lived in a doggie lifejacket with his lead attached.
      > > Even so, there were a couple of occasions where all that kept me
      > from having to jump in
      > > after the dog was the loop on top of its lifejacket that I could
      > snag with the boathook.
      > > Sitting inside BW, like sitting in Black Skimmer, is quite
      > comfortable if you lean against
      > > the flaring sides. One of our boats (not a Bolger) had vertical
      > backs on all its sitting spots
      > > and my back would be pretty sore after a week or two. That's always
      > kind of put me off
      > > the 'box' designs.
      > > All that said, I admire your spunk in planning a three-month drift
      > amid the sandflies!
      > > Eric
      > >
      > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "hobyarr" <knic0014@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello Graeme
      > > > Your're definitely keen on BW, so am I if it was just me but it just
      > > > ain't right for longer periods or with the boss.
      > > > The berth problem is length but it has been suggested to me that it is
      > > > an easy fix to move bulkhead 6" without any probs.
      > > > Will check out Black Skimmer but cannot find anything on Wish 2. How
      > > > does it differ to BS and what are the main features. Does anyone have
      > > > articles/drawings that could be put in files
      > > > Thanks - Darrell

    • captjbturtle
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 26, 2009
        hi guys, In regard to Bantam mileage, I use a 2000, yamaha 9.9 4
        stroke, not the high thrust. power is very adequate. we usuaqlly
        cruise at 2,500 to 3,000 rpm on the tac h. thats a very pleasant
        guessing 6 or 7. the top end is not much faster. but where she shines
        is m,otoring in 11 inches slowly over the soft bottom in fl and in
        just 9 inches wth the honda 2 auxilary , also surprisingly adequate
        get home power. The mileage however is astounding.I get in
        the high teens. Very high teens.Some of this is no doubt the eficient
        motorbut perhaps partly from transformation of the underwater lines.
        When i was contemplating stretching her because of speed limited by
        the motor and short planing length i taqlked to Mr Bolger. Ny idea
        was to rocker the bottom extension aft for a cleaner run.The rear
        transom used to be immersed about 6 or 7 inches and sucked a wave
        when i tried to go fast. Bolger drew a rockered addition which I drew
        out to 6 feet and ended at the water surface. Fairly simple to do and
        gives me a 26 foot long waterline and a clean run aft. a 4 foot
        longer cabin and also huge afterdeck. now maybe speed is limited by
        the limited power but very happy with the performance. I built her
        lightly and underdeck clearance is about 5 inches with no double
        bottom. She has gone from Fort Pierce to Key West, Fort Myers then
        back across the Okeechobee waterway twice, about a 700 mile round
        trip with some rough chop on Lake Okeechobee and boat wakes here in
        Fl with no structural problems so far, but not aqn offshore boat
        though she does have 5 seperate sealed hull compartmlnts.She is in
        the Keys again as I write hoping to complete the same trip.
        Unfortunately I am not the one driving but my friend Herb, a Chris
        Craft guy just loves her and is able to do this trip each year
        winkling into the most amazing ditches, private anchorages, swales
        gullies etc you can imagine and usually doesnt have to pay a single
        cent for dockage in 2 months in Florida while seeing the best of the
        area other boaters dont. He has been throung the shark river
        everglades small boat trail twice for example and the view throung
        thje Glass house is great. At night the stars swing aqround the
        windows when you are on the bunk and you feel like ou ae on the
        bridge of a spaceship. I can't say enough good things of this design
        of Mr Bolgers.She trailers on a single axle behind a 6 clynder
        easily. A ouple of more motor notes. When first launched without the
        cabin and used a whole winter while cabin and windows were being
        built she did plane with that 9.9 at the original length. Also to
        get my moneys work out of that motor I use it on Sneakeasy in thje
        smme up north for a clean plane with one or two up and even more
        astounding mileage at lower speeds. And the moswt impressive design
        wrinkle of all. That same motor fixed with a hignh trust prop which
        happens to be smaller than the prop on the high thrust motor which
        wont fit the lower unit. DRives the 32 foot states class sharpie
        turtle at about 8 mph and get me about 12mpg with no problems doing
        the Rideau Canal severaql times. Thats a big boat with double bed 35
        pound anchors bookcases, galley dinette and a kayak andTortoise on
        top etc. Thanks agaqin Mr, Bolger, regards to all, john
      • hobyarr
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 27, 2009
          Hello Eric
          I maybe better get out there and at it, started to cultivate a bit of
          a gut lately. Those S/F out west are pretty big and the bites itch
          pretty bad for 2-3 weeks but you develop an immunity to them after a
          fortnight and you lose it if your away from them for as little as a
          week. We used to light wet bales of hay and let them smoulder to make
          smoke for the stock to hang in, otherwise you'd lose them. The S/F
          would either smother, suck blood or strees them so they couldn't eat.
          Ears ,nose, throat, any bare area including their ring would be
          completely covered.Whichever the stock and roos could die in their
          thousands. Nasty animals.

        • hobyarr
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 27, 2009
            Hello John
            Whoa pull up, you've won me over, along with Bob and others.
            Is the Bantam extension in files yours, the one that looks like a
            beaut water ute. This is all good stuff. You don't sell Yamaha do you.
            All these mods and OK'd by the man (Bolger) and make it work.
            Thanks -Darrell

            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 27, 2009
              Darrell:
              I promise this is my last contribution on sandflies. The Kiwis claim that eating Vegamite
              will give you immunity from sandflies because of the vitamin B content.
              Our non-Kiwi doctor friend agrees but says the best way to use Vegamite is to coat it
              thickly on exposed surfaces of the skin.
              Don't think he likes Vegamite.
              Eric
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "hobyarr" <knic0014@...> wrote:

              > Hello Eric
              > Those S/F out west are pretty big and the bites itch
              > pretty bad for 2-3 weeks but you develop an immunity to them after a
              > fortnight and you lose it if your away from them for as little as a
              > week. We used to light wet bales of hay and let them smoulder to make
              > smoke for the stock to hang in, otherwise you'd lose them.
              > Ears ,nose, throat, any bare area including their ring would be
              > completely covered.Whichever the stock and roos could die in their
              > thousands. Nasty animals.
              > Thanks - Darrell

            • Harry James
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 27, 2009
                I would say that eating vegamite or getting bit by sandflies is a pretty
                tough choice.

                HJ

                eohiggins wrote:
                > Darrell:
                > I promise this is my last contribution on sandflies. The Kiwis claim that eating Vegamite
                > will give you immunity from sandflies because of the vitamin B content.
                > Our non-Kiwi doctor friend agrees but says the best way to use Vegamite is to coat it
                > thickly on exposed surfaces of the skin.
                > Don't think he likes Vegamite.
                > Eric
                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "hobyarr" <knic0014@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Hello Eric
                >> Those S/F out west are pretty big and the bites itch
                >> pretty bad for 2-3 weeks but you develop an immunity to them after a
                >> fortnight and you lose it if your away from them for as little as a
                >> week. We used to light wet bales of hay and let them smoulder to make
                >> smoke for the stock to hang in, otherwise you'd lose them.
                >> Ears ,nose, throat, any bare area including their ring would be
                >> completely covered.Whichever the stock and roos could die in their
                >> thousands. Nasty animals.
                >> Thanks - Darrell

              • dave seeton
                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 27, 2009
                  Those who drink large quanities of BEER seldom are bitten by bugs. Seems they dont like the yeast.(silly bugs). anyway, it's worked for me for yrs. Cant remember the last time I was bitten by a bug.
                  Dave