Re: Elegant Punt Stretched

  • pvanderwaart
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 23, 2009
      > Has anyone toyed with the idea of building
      > an Elegant Punt 50% to 100% larger than the plans?

      There are different ways to look at this. Bolger's instant boat
      designs all have compromises of one sort or another to make efficient
      use of plywood. Once you enlarge one, even just a little, you can find
      you've doubled the amount of ply you have to buy.

      The EP was designed as a small boat that could be dominated and kept
      upright (or to the desired small angle of heel) by the crew. Once you
      go to a bigger boat, it might be better to change the lines a tad for
      sailing heeled more of the time. The change might be very small in
      looks, but make a worthwhile difference in action. PCB has written
      that EP sails better than one of his bigger boats (I think he was
      referring to the Thomaston Galley, but I'm not sure) on account of the
      tall rig. If you make the boat bigger, and the crew stays the same
      size, the rig will have to be reduced, and that might not be good. But
      it might be OK.

      You would do well to look at PCB's Fieldmouse variants. I think they
      are the sort of boat you are looking for. It's usually a good trade
      off to upgrade your building skills to get the better boat, rather
      than downgrading your expectations for expediency. There is not really
      a lot of difference in cost. Mostly, it's time.

      All that said, yeah, I did once think (not very seriously) about using
      EP as a basis for a pram schooner design in the 28' range. I forget
      why I was thinking about designing such a boat, but for a liveaboard,
      it would have volume and compactness.