Re: [bolger] Thai Catamaran

  • Kevin Burns
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 2, 2009
      Gregg,
           Looks like a Wharram to me. Pahi 52 model.  Chap named Guenther Nutt owns the 'Seascape' Company and is building Wharram TIKIs and PAHI 52s (and possibly PAHI 60s) in Phuket, Thailand.  Probably looks better because of the center pod, maybe the professional build.
      Kevin Burns

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 3, 2009
        I saw a very similar boat on the hard next to me one winter in the
        south of France (mouth of the Rhone). I wasn't familiar at the time
        with Wharram's boats and was amazed by the lashed amas, but even more
        so by the fact that it was a New Zealand registered boat and according
        to a liveaboard in the next boat, a retired couple had built it in
        their backyard and sailed it to the Med over a couple of years...

        Cheers, Brian

        > Gregg,
        >
        > given that Wharram builders add mods at least as much as Bolger
        > builders ;) that cat is pure Wharram. I'd say a Pahi 42 with a Tiki
        > 38 or 46 ketch rig. If your partner saw bow dagger boards that would
        > nail it a Pahi as do the rudder mounts. The aft bridgedeck boarding
        > ramps are not usually full width. The Pahi 42 has a single motor
        > mounted centrally just before the aft ramp but the Pahi 63 has
        > similar dual motor mounts of that mid swing down type as often do
        > earlier design examples. There's a lot of "mix and match" goes on.
        > http://wharram.com/pahi42.html
        >
        > Talk about "stealing" pacific islanders ideas and not much metal
        > http://wharram.com/childofthesea.htm Glen Tieman roamed the North
        > Pacific for many years on a Wharram Tikiroa (Pahi 26) and has built
        > and set out once more on a Child of the Sea heading for the South
        > Pacific http://wharram.eu//live//index.php?topic=20080416175514782
        >
        > Graeme
        >

        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ghartc" <gregg.carlson@> wrote:
        > >
        > > My sailing partner returned from Thailand recently with a series of
        > > pictures of an odd and interesting catamaran. Essentially, a
        > series of
        > > beams lash into dovetails in the amas, and it appears the house
        > sits in
        > > the middle. Most all the rigging is soft, and there appear to be
        > some
        > > great ideas on how to spread the point loads, probably without much
        > > metal.
        > >
        > > It looked like outboards swing down in wells, and a swinging deck
        > > appears ready to launch and retrieve a dinghy. Masts are in
        > > tebernacles. I wasn't there, but he'd understood the
        > builder "stole"
        > > many of the ideas from pacific islanders. That's about all I know
        > about
        > > it. Appears a lot more exotic than a Wharram.
        > >
        > > I posted the pics on the main Bolger groups pics under "Thai
        > Catamaran".
        > > Hopefully, this link will take you there:

        > > Regards, Gregg Carlson

      • ghartc
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 4, 2009
          Kevin,

          Thanks - maybe I didn't dig deep enough at Wharram's website, and I
          had no idea they had some professionally-built designs. Wharram
          really looks like a little parallel universe; I'd expect Bolger looks
          the same way to outsiders. I understand there are a few boatbuilders
          there - we might go visit next year. We'll have to put that yard on
          our list.

          Gregg

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Burns <captparnell@...> wrote:

          > Gregg,
          > ���� Looks like a Wharram to me. Pahi 52 model.� Chap named Guenther
          Nutt owns the 'Seascape' Company and is building Wharram TIKIs and
          PAHI 52s (and possibly PAHI 60s) in Phuket, Thailand.� Probably looks
          better because of the center pod, maybe the professional build.
          > Kevin Burns

        • Kevin Burns
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 4, 2009
            Gregg,
               I agree that in some ways Wharram is in a parallel universe.  Many don't like Wharram for his supposed hedonistic lifestyle, but if you read enough Wharram writings he mentions PCB more than once.  Some call both simplistic.  I prefer to think of it as getting back to fundamentals and am a fan of both men.  Wharrams are sailing all over the world, many have done circumnavigations (the smallest is a Tiki 21),  and he has developed a cult not unlike Bolgeristas.  There is also an outfit in the Phillipines building his designs and a new one in Florida building Wharram Tikis.
            Kevin Burns

            Thanks - maybe I didn't dig deep enough at Wharram's website, and I
            had no idea they had some professionally- built designs. Wharram
            really looks like a little parallel universe; I'd expect Bolger looks
            the same way to outsiders. I understand there are a few boatbuilders
            there - we might go visit next year. We'll have to put that yard on
            our list.

            Gregg

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups. com, Kevin Burns <captparnell@ ...> wrote:

            > Gregg,
            > ���� Looks like a Wharram to me. Pahi 52 model.� Chap named Guenther
            Nutt owns the 'Seascape' Company and is building Wharram TIKIs and
            PAHI 52s (and possibly PAHI 60s) in Phuket, Thailand.� Probably looks
            better because of the center pod, maybe the professional build.
            > Kevin Burns

          • Greg Flemming
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 4, 2009
              Interesting thing about Wharram is, like Bolger, he looks into the
              history of boat design and picks the best ideas from the past and
              applies them to the present. So that idea of "stealing" design
              features from the Polynesians is almost right, in a way.

              I agree with Kevin that the boat is a Pahi 52, possibly, although
              when I first looked I thought maybe it was a Pahi 42 but with the
              gaff schooner rig from the bigger boats such as the Pahi 52, Tiki 46
              or Pahi 63. The first of their designs to have that rig was the Tiki
              31 quite few years ago now, and they applied it to the bigger
              designs after realising how well it went to windward in relation to
              similar single masted rigs.

              But Kevin is no doubt correct about it being a 52. I think the Pahis
              are great looking boats. He has a similar boat but a lot more basic,
              called the Tama Moana and Wharram has just delivered one (or two?) to
              Tikopia so that the locals will be able to recover some of their
              ancient ability to connect with the outside world. Tikopia is in the
              Santa Cruz Islands just north of the Solomons and are Polynesian
              islands geographically within Melanesia

              That's all on wharram.com now I think??

              GregF

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Burns <captparnell@...> wrote:

              > Gregg,
              >      Looks like a Wharram to me. Pahi 52 model.  Chap named
              Guenther Nutt owns the 'Seascape' Company and is building Wharram
              TIKIs and PAHI 52s (and possibly PAHI 60s) in Phuket, Thailand.
              Probably looks better because of the center pod, maybe the
              professional build.
              > Kevin Burns

            • Bill
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 4, 2009
                Tangentially related (except that it involves some interview time with
                Wharram) is this film, posted online. Nice bit of video. The interview
                with Wharram appears around 2:44 in part I. Part II is worth watching
                too.
                http://bluewaterfilm.org/

                Bill in Ohio.
                Long Micro Pugnacious
              • Greg Flemming
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
                  There's another parallel an'all! PCB mentioned in the furledsails
                  podcast that he'd run out of steam until Suzanne came along and gave
                  him a new lease on life, as it were. Much the same thing did seem to
                  happen with Wharram when Henneke Boon came along with her design
                  impetus.

                  Wharram's lifestyle was hardly conducive to getting him accepted by
                  the "yachting" set in the UK or anywhere else, for that matter.

                  That's a great quality video that Bill has posted the link to, still
                  haven't looked at part 2 but very impressive.

                  GregF

                • Pierce Nichols
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
                    Not being accepted by the 'yachting set' strikes me as a personal
                    recommendation... or at least a case of having the right enemies.

                    -p

                  • Jim
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
                      Kevin,
                      Can you provide any more information about the "outfit in the
                      Philippines?"
                      Thanks
                      Jim

                    • Kevin Burns
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
                        Hi Jim,
                             It's Andy Smith Boatworks.  Here is a link to their website.
                         http://www.andy-smith-boatworks.com/psd/home/index.html  The last two they built were the two ethnic style cats that Wharram and Heneke Boon are sailing around the Pacific as we speak, retracing the ancient Polynesian's routes.

                      • graeme19121984
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 6, 2009
                          >There is also an outfit in the Phillipines building his designs and a
                          new one in Florida building Wharram Tikis.

                          Franchised builders also in Mumbai, in South Africa, in Germany, and
                          there's somewhat of a rebel to the sea people hardline cedar bucket PC
                          in Texas.