Re: [bolger] Thai Catamaran

  • Kevin Burns
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 2 9:48 PM
      Gregg,
           Looks like a Wharram to me. Pahi 52 model.  Chap named Guenther Nutt owns the 'Seascape' Company and is building Wharram TIKIs and PAHI 52s (and possibly PAHI 60s) in Phuket, Thailand.  Probably looks better because of the center pod, maybe the professional build.
      Kevin Burns

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 3 5:55 AM
        Hi Greg,

        > Appears a lot more exotic than a Wharram.

        The hulls look like the Wharram "Pahi" style.

        Jon
      • graeme19121984
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 3 6:23 AM
          Gregg,

          given that Wharram builders add mods at least as much as Bolger
          builders ;) that cat is pure Wharram. I'd say a Pahi 42 with a Tiki
          38 or 46 ketch rig. If your partner saw bow dagger boards that would
          nail it a Pahi as do the rudder mounts. The aft bridgedeck boarding
          ramps are not usually full width. The Pahi 42 has a single motor
          mounted centrally just before the aft ramp but the Pahi 63 has
          similar dual motor mounts of that mid swing down type as often do
          earlier design examples. There's a lot of "mix and match" goes on.
          http://wharram.com/pahi42.html

          Talk about "stealing" pacific islanders ideas and not much metal
          http://wharram.com/childofthesea.htm Glen Tieman roamed the North
          Pacific for many years on a Wharram Tikiroa (Pahi 26) and has built
          and set out once more on a Child of the Sea heading for the South
          Pacific http://wharram.eu//live//index.php?topic=20080416175514782

          Graeme

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ghartc" <gregg.carlson@...> wrote:

          > My sailing partner returned from Thailand recently with a series of
          > pictures of an odd and interesting catamaran. Essentially, a
          series of
          > beams lash into dovetails in the amas, and it appears the house
          sits in
          > the middle. Most all the rigging is soft, and there appear to be
          some
          > great ideas on how to spread the point loads, probably without much
          > metal.
          >
          > It looked like outboards swing down in wells, and a swinging deck
          > appears ready to launch and retrieve a dinghy. Masts are in
          > tebernacles. I wasn't there, but he'd understood the
          builder "stole"
          > many of the ideas from pacific islanders. That's about all I know
          about
          > it. Appears a lot more exotic than a Wharram.
          >
          > I posted the pics on the main Bolger groups pics under "Thai
          Catamaran".
          > Hopefully, this link will take you there:

          > Regards, Gregg Carlson

        • Brian Anderson
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 3 8:24 AM
            I saw a very similar boat on the hard next to me one winter in the
            south of France (mouth of the Rhone). I wasn't familiar at the time
            with Wharram's boats and was amazed by the lashed amas, but even more
            so by the fact that it was a New Zealand registered boat and according
            to a liveaboard in the next boat, a retired couple had built it in
            their backyard and sailed it to the Med over a couple of years...

            Cheers, Brian

            > Gregg,
            >
            > given that Wharram builders add mods at least as much as Bolger
            > builders ;) that cat is pure Wharram. I'd say a Pahi 42 with a Tiki
            > 38 or 46 ketch rig. If your partner saw bow dagger boards that would
            > nail it a Pahi as do the rudder mounts. The aft bridgedeck boarding
            > ramps are not usually full width. The Pahi 42 has a single motor
            > mounted centrally just before the aft ramp but the Pahi 63 has
            > similar dual motor mounts of that mid swing down type as often do
            > earlier design examples. There's a lot of "mix and match" goes on.
            > http://wharram.com/pahi42.html
            >
            > Talk about "stealing" pacific islanders ideas and not much metal
            > http://wharram.com/childofthesea.htm Glen Tieman roamed the North
            > Pacific for many years on a Wharram Tikiroa (Pahi 26) and has built
            > and set out once more on a Child of the Sea heading for the South
            > Pacific http://wharram.eu//live//index.php?topic=20080416175514782
            >
            > Graeme
            >

            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ghartc" <gregg.carlson@> wrote:
            > >
            > > My sailing partner returned from Thailand recently with a series of
            > > pictures of an odd and interesting catamaran. Essentially, a
            > series of
            > > beams lash into dovetails in the amas, and it appears the house
            > sits in
            > > the middle. Most all the rigging is soft, and there appear to be
            > some
            > > great ideas on how to spread the point loads, probably without much
            > > metal.
            > >
            > > It looked like outboards swing down in wells, and a swinging deck
            > > appears ready to launch and retrieve a dinghy. Masts are in
            > > tebernacles. I wasn't there, but he'd understood the
            > builder "stole"
            > > many of the ideas from pacific islanders. That's about all I know
            > about
            > > it. Appears a lot more exotic than a Wharram.
            > >
            > > I posted the pics on the main Bolger groups pics under "Thai
            > Catamaran".
            > > Hopefully, this link will take you there:

            > > Regards, Gregg Carlson

          • ghartc
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 4 6:18 AM
              Kevin,

              Thanks - maybe I didn't dig deep enough at Wharram's website, and I
              had no idea they had some professionally-built designs. Wharram
              really looks like a little parallel universe; I'd expect Bolger looks
              the same way to outsiders. I understand there are a few boatbuilders
              there - we might go visit next year. We'll have to put that yard on
              our list.

              Gregg

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Burns <captparnell@...> wrote:

              > Gregg,
              > ���� Looks like a Wharram to me. Pahi 52 model.� Chap named Guenther
              Nutt owns the 'Seascape' Company and is building Wharram TIKIs and
              PAHI 52s (and possibly PAHI 60s) in Phuket, Thailand.� Probably looks
              better because of the center pod, maybe the professional build.
              > Kevin Burns

            • Kevin Burns
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 4 7:40 AM
                Gregg,
                   I agree that in some ways Wharram is in a parallel universe.  Many don't like Wharram for his supposed hedonistic lifestyle, but if you read enough Wharram writings he mentions PCB more than once.  Some call both simplistic.  I prefer to think of it as getting back to fundamentals and am a fan of both men.  Wharrams are sailing all over the world, many have done circumnavigations (the smallest is a Tiki 21),  and he has developed a cult not unlike Bolgeristas.  There is also an outfit in the Phillipines building his designs and a new one in Florida building Wharram Tikis.
                Kevin Burns

                Thanks - maybe I didn't dig deep enough at Wharram's website, and I
                had no idea they had some professionally- built designs. Wharram
                really looks like a little parallel universe; I'd expect Bolger looks
                the same way to outsiders. I understand there are a few boatbuilders
                there - we might go visit next year. We'll have to put that yard on
                our list.

                Gregg

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups. com, Kevin Burns <captparnell@ ...> wrote:

                > Gregg,
                > ���� Looks like a Wharram to me. Pahi 52 model.� Chap named Guenther
                Nutt owns the 'Seascape' Company and is building Wharram TIKIs and
                PAHI 52s (and possibly PAHI 60s) in Phuket, Thailand.� Probably looks
                better because of the center pod, maybe the professional build.
                > Kevin Burns

              • Greg Flemming
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 4 12:09 PM
                  Interesting thing about Wharram is, like Bolger, he looks into the
                  history of boat design and picks the best ideas from the past and
                  applies them to the present. So that idea of "stealing" design
                  features from the Polynesians is almost right, in a way.

                  I agree with Kevin that the boat is a Pahi 52, possibly, although
                  when I first looked I thought maybe it was a Pahi 42 but with the
                  gaff schooner rig from the bigger boats such as the Pahi 52, Tiki 46
                  or Pahi 63. The first of their designs to have that rig was the Tiki
                  31 quite few years ago now, and they applied it to the bigger
                  designs after realising how well it went to windward in relation to
                  similar single masted rigs.

                  But Kevin is no doubt correct about it being a 52. I think the Pahis
                  are great looking boats. He has a similar boat but a lot more basic,
                  called the Tama Moana and Wharram has just delivered one (or two?) to
                  Tikopia so that the locals will be able to recover some of their
                  ancient ability to connect with the outside world. Tikopia is in the
                  Santa Cruz Islands just north of the Solomons and are Polynesian
                  islands geographically within Melanesia

                  That's all on wharram.com now I think??

                  GregF

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Burns <captparnell@...> wrote:

                  > Gregg,
                  >      Looks like a Wharram to me. Pahi 52 model.  Chap named
                  Guenther Nutt owns the 'Seascape' Company and is building Wharram
                  TIKIs and PAHI 52s (and possibly PAHI 60s) in Phuket, Thailand.
                  Probably looks better because of the center pod, maybe the
                  professional build.
                  > Kevin Burns

                • Bill
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 4 2:46 PM
                    Tangentially related (except that it involves some interview time with
                    Wharram) is this film, posted online. Nice bit of video. The interview
                    with Wharram appears around 2:44 in part I. Part II is worth watching
                    too.
                    http://bluewaterfilm.org/

                    Bill in Ohio.
                    Long Micro Pugnacious
                  • Greg Flemming
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 5 12:21 PM
                      There's another parallel an'all! PCB mentioned in the furledsails
                      podcast that he'd run out of steam until Suzanne came along and gave
                      him a new lease on life, as it were. Much the same thing did seem to
                      happen with Wharram when Henneke Boon came along with her design
                      impetus.

                      Wharram's lifestyle was hardly conducive to getting him accepted by
                      the "yachting" set in the UK or anywhere else, for that matter.

                      That's a great quality video that Bill has posted the link to, still
                      haven't looked at part 2 but very impressive.

                      GregF

                    • Pierce Nichols
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 5 1:47 PM
                        Not being accepted by the 'yachting set' strikes me as a personal
                        recommendation... or at least a case of having the right enemies.

                        -p

                      • Jim
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 5 3:18 PM
                          Kevin,
                          Can you provide any more information about the "outfit in the
                          Philippines?"
                          Thanks
                          Jim

                        • Kevin Burns
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 5 3:52 PM
                            Hi Jim,
                                 It's Andy Smith Boatworks.  Here is a link to their website.
                             http://www.andy-smith-boatworks.com/psd/home/index.html  The last two they built were the two ethnic style cats that Wharram and Heneke Boon are sailing around the Pacific as we speak, retracing the ancient Polynesian's routes.

                          • graeme19121984
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 6 4:57 AM
                              >There is also an outfit in the Phillipines building his designs and a
                              new one in Florida building Wharram Tikis.

                              Franchised builders also in Mumbai, in South Africa, in Germany, and
                              there's somewhat of a rebel to the sea people hardline cedar bucket PC
                              in Texas.