Re: [bolger] Small boat vs. small boat

  • Jim Michaels
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 2, 2009
      Cathy:

      Likewise, what are the tradeoffs between a Brick and the PDRacer that

      > has gotten so much attention?

      My sons (age 10 & ll)  and I built a PD Racer last summer and had a blast!

      It is log and chine construction, we used no epoxy - only Titebond II and PL Premium construction cement.  We painted it with latex enamel paint and made a polytarp sail (the Bolger 59 Leg 'O Muttom rig).  It sails great, weighs 90lbs. (car-toppable on our Volvo) and seats me and my 2 kids comfortably.  It is very stable.  The cost was under $200.00  The PD Racer is a variation of the Bolger Brick - Shorty Routh, founder of the PD Racer group, built a Brick, then fiddled with the hull rocker.   The PD Racer is an easy to build, inexpensive and fun entry level sailboat.   I am really glad I built it as my first sailboat because it was so easy, yet I learned a lot about boat building.

      Anyway, the PD Racer Website details the birth of the PD Racer in 2003.  Nearly  300 of these boats have actually been built, and there are many variations.   I think most of the builders, though somewhat dubious initally, have been thrilled by the fun of sailing the finished product.   I believe the reason we are hitting 300 owes to the ease of the build, the strength of support within the PD Racer Community, and the fun of the finished boat.

      Personally, I am ready to "move up" from that build -  Basically, I want to build a sharpie now that I've built a scow.   That is why I am setting my sights on the Junebug.

      I know the PD Racer is not in name a Bolger Design, but It is a variation on the Brick - and with the Bolger 59 Leg 'O Muttom rig, it has a lot of Bolger in it (I love that rig).

      Good Luck!

      Jim in St. Louis

      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 3, 2009
        There's Bolger's Big Tortoise (Payson calls it a Brick too). Little
        extra weight than Tortoise, same pile of materials, for a longer
        waterline.

        [ Hey gang, what is the design number for this one? It is not on the
        group database, and Dynamite doesn't include it in his study plans
        packet (yet it is in there on the price sheet). I've heard tell that
        it is actually a plan of Dynamite's own doing to compete with the
        Brick as once offered by Bernie Wolfard, but Dynamite wouldn't mess
        with PCB's name... eg. it is clearly marked as a "Phillip C Bolger"
        plan, but I can't make out the number at the Instant Boats site:
        http://www.instantboats.com/brick.htm ]

        Another small easily cartopped boat (the brief was for a pair of
        toppers), and well recommended by PCB, is the Peero. If thought too
        unstable, add stability like Gregg did:

        http://www.carlsondesign.com/projects.html#Pirogue
        bet that sailed ok against wind and tide

        Plans and building guide are still here:

        http://www.friend.ly.net/users/dadadata/boat/bolger.html#peero

        and I believe the price is unchanged.

        Graeme
      • graeme19121984
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 3, 2009

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jhkohnen@...> wrote:

          > I've found that, if two boats are about the same weight, the longer
          boat
          > will be easier to get on top of a car.
        • Charles Rouse
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 4, 2009
            - In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984" <graeme19121984@...>
            wrote:

            Hi, I have the plans for that boat, and the boat in the garage. I
            need to paint it and put on the rig. I hope to sail it this spring.
            The number on the plan is #597. There's no name, but the plan
            indicates it's for "Montgomery Boat Yard." It's more of a Stretch
            Tortoise than a Brick. I adapted the rig myself, using the Brick as
            an example.Mr. Payson has some information about this one in his
            latest book.

            Charles Rouse

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 6, 2009
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Rouse" <ro43use@...> wrote:
              > Hi, I have the plans for that boat, and the boat in the garage...

              Thankyou Charles,

              I've entered the info in the database.

              Fair winds this spring
              Graeme