Thai Catamaran

  • ghartc
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 2, 2009
      My sailing partner returned from Thailand recently with a series of
      pictures of an odd and interesting catamaran. Essentially, a series of
      beams lash into dovetails in the amas, and it appears the house sits in
      the middle. Most all the rigging is soft, and there appear to be some
      great ideas on how to spread the point loads, probably without much
      metal.

      It looked like outboards swing down in wells, and a swinging deck
      appears ready to launch and retrieve a dinghy. Masts are in
      tebernacles. I wasn't there, but he'd understood the builder "stole"
      many of the ideas from pacific islanders. That's about all I know about
      it. Appears a lot more exotic than a Wharram.

      I posted the pics on the main Bolger groups pics under "Thai Catamaran".
      Hopefully, this link will take you there:

      Regards, Gregg Carlson

    • Kevin Burns
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 2, 2009
        Gregg,
             Looks like a Wharram to me. Pahi 52 model.  Chap named Guenther Nutt owns the 'Seascape' Company and is building Wharram TIKIs and PAHI 52s (and possibly PAHI 60s) in Phuket, Thailand.  Probably looks better because of the center pod, maybe the professional build.
        Kevin Burns

        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/bolger/ photos/album/ 518296840/ pic/list
        <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/bolger/ photos/album/ 518296840/ pic/list>

        Regards, Gregg Carlson

      • adventures_in_astrophotography
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 3, 2009
          Hi Greg,

          > Appears a lot more exotic than a Wharram.

          The hulls look like the Wharram "Pahi" style.

          Jon
        • graeme19121984
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 3, 2009
            Gregg,

            given that Wharram builders add mods at least as much as Bolger
            builders ;) that cat is pure Wharram. I'd say a Pahi 42 with a Tiki
            38 or 46 ketch rig. If your partner saw bow dagger boards that would
            nail it a Pahi as do the rudder mounts. The aft bridgedeck boarding
            ramps are not usually full width. The Pahi 42 has a single motor
            mounted centrally just before the aft ramp but the Pahi 63 has
            similar dual motor mounts of that mid swing down type as often do
            earlier design examples. There's a lot of "mix and match" goes on.
            http://wharram.com/pahi42.html

            Talk about "stealing" pacific islanders ideas and not much metal
            http://wharram.com/childofthesea.htm Glen Tieman roamed the North
            Pacific for many years on a Wharram Tikiroa (Pahi 26) and has built
            and set out once more on a Child of the Sea heading for the South
            Pacific http://wharram.eu//live//index.php?topic=20080416175514782

            Graeme

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ghartc" <gregg.carlson@...> wrote:

            > My sailing partner returned from Thailand recently with a series of
            > pictures of an odd and interesting catamaran. Essentially, a
            series of
            > beams lash into dovetails in the amas, and it appears the house
            sits in
            > the middle. Most all the rigging is soft, and there appear to be
            some
            > great ideas on how to spread the point loads, probably without much
            > metal.
            >
            > It looked like outboards swing down in wells, and a swinging deck
            > appears ready to launch and retrieve a dinghy. Masts are in
            > tebernacles. I wasn't there, but he'd understood the
            builder "stole"
            > many of the ideas from pacific islanders. That's about all I know
            about
            > it. Appears a lot more exotic than a Wharram.
            >
            > I posted the pics on the main Bolger groups pics under "Thai
            Catamaran".
            > Hopefully, this link will take you there:

            > Regards, Gregg Carlson

          • Brian Anderson
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 3, 2009
              I saw a very similar boat on the hard next to me one winter in the
              south of France (mouth of the Rhone). I wasn't familiar at the time
              with Wharram's boats and was amazed by the lashed amas, but even more
              so by the fact that it was a New Zealand registered boat and according
              to a liveaboard in the next boat, a retired couple had built it in
              their backyard and sailed it to the Med over a couple of years...

              Cheers, Brian

              > Gregg,
              >
              > given that Wharram builders add mods at least as much as Bolger
              > builders ;) that cat is pure Wharram. I'd say a Pahi 42 with a Tiki
              > 38 or 46 ketch rig. If your partner saw bow dagger boards that would
              > nail it a Pahi as do the rudder mounts. The aft bridgedeck boarding
              > ramps are not usually full width. The Pahi 42 has a single motor
              > mounted centrally just before the aft ramp but the Pahi 63 has
              > similar dual motor mounts of that mid swing down type as often do
              > earlier design examples. There's a lot of "mix and match" goes on.
              > http://wharram.com/pahi42.html
              >
              > Talk about "stealing" pacific islanders ideas and not much metal
              > http://wharram.com/childofthesea.htm Glen Tieman roamed the North
              > Pacific for many years on a Wharram Tikiroa (Pahi 26) and has built
              > and set out once more on a Child of the Sea heading for the South
              > Pacific http://wharram.eu//live//index.php?topic=20080416175514782
              >
              > Graeme
              >

              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ghartc" <gregg.carlson@> wrote:
              > >
              > > My sailing partner returned from Thailand recently with a series of
              > > pictures of an odd and interesting catamaran. Essentially, a
              > series of
              > > beams lash into dovetails in the amas, and it appears the house
              > sits in
              > > the middle. Most all the rigging is soft, and there appear to be
              > some
              > > great ideas on how to spread the point loads, probably without much
              > > metal.
              > >
              > > It looked like outboards swing down in wells, and a swinging deck
              > > appears ready to launch and retrieve a dinghy. Masts are in
              > > tebernacles. I wasn't there, but he'd understood the
              > builder "stole"
              > > many of the ideas from pacific islanders. That's about all I know
              > about
              > > it. Appears a lot more exotic than a Wharram.
              > >
              > > I posted the pics on the main Bolger groups pics under "Thai
              > Catamaran".
              > > Hopefully, this link will take you there:

              > > Regards, Gregg Carlson

            • ghartc
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 4, 2009
                Kevin,

                Thanks - maybe I didn't dig deep enough at Wharram's website, and I
                had no idea they had some professionally-built designs. Wharram
                really looks like a little parallel universe; I'd expect Bolger looks
                the same way to outsiders. I understand there are a few boatbuilders
                there - we might go visit next year. We'll have to put that yard on
                our list.

                Gregg

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Burns <captparnell@...> wrote:

                > Gregg,
                > ���� Looks like a Wharram to me. Pahi 52 model.� Chap named Guenther
                Nutt owns the 'Seascape' Company and is building Wharram TIKIs and
                PAHI 52s (and possibly PAHI 60s) in Phuket, Thailand.� Probably looks
                better because of the center pod, maybe the professional build.
                > Kevin Burns

              • Kevin Burns
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 4, 2009
                  Gregg,
                     I agree that in some ways Wharram is in a parallel universe.  Many don't like Wharram for his supposed hedonistic lifestyle, but if you read enough Wharram writings he mentions PCB more than once.  Some call both simplistic.  I prefer to think of it as getting back to fundamentals and am a fan of both men.  Wharrams are sailing all over the world, many have done circumnavigations (the smallest is a Tiki 21),  and he has developed a cult not unlike Bolgeristas.  There is also an outfit in the Phillipines building his designs and a new one in Florida building Wharram Tikis.
                  Kevin Burns

                  Thanks - maybe I didn't dig deep enough at Wharram's website, and I
                  had no idea they had some professionally- built designs. Wharram
                  really looks like a little parallel universe; I'd expect Bolger looks
                  the same way to outsiders. I understand there are a few boatbuilders
                  there - we might go visit next year. We'll have to put that yard on
                  our list.

                  Gregg

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups. com, Kevin Burns <captparnell@ ...> wrote:

                  > Gregg,
                  > ���� Looks like a Wharram to me. Pahi 52 model.� Chap named Guenther
                  Nutt owns the 'Seascape' Company and is building Wharram TIKIs and
                  PAHI 52s (and possibly PAHI 60s) in Phuket, Thailand.� Probably looks
                  better because of the center pod, maybe the professional build.
                  > Kevin Burns

                • Greg Flemming
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 4, 2009
                    Interesting thing about Wharram is, like Bolger, he looks into the
                    history of boat design and picks the best ideas from the past and
                    applies them to the present. So that idea of "stealing" design
                    features from the Polynesians is almost right, in a way.

                    I agree with Kevin that the boat is a Pahi 52, possibly, although
                    when I first looked I thought maybe it was a Pahi 42 but with the
                    gaff schooner rig from the bigger boats such as the Pahi 52, Tiki 46
                    or Pahi 63. The first of their designs to have that rig was the Tiki
                    31 quite few years ago now, and they applied it to the bigger
                    designs after realising how well it went to windward in relation to
                    similar single masted rigs.

                    But Kevin is no doubt correct about it being a 52. I think the Pahis
                    are great looking boats. He has a similar boat but a lot more basic,
                    called the Tama Moana and Wharram has just delivered one (or two?) to
                    Tikopia so that the locals will be able to recover some of their
                    ancient ability to connect with the outside world. Tikopia is in the
                    Santa Cruz Islands just north of the Solomons and are Polynesian
                    islands geographically within Melanesia

                    That's all on wharram.com now I think??

                    GregF

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Burns <captparnell@...> wrote:

                    > Gregg,
                    >      Looks like a Wharram to me. Pahi 52 model.  Chap named
                    Guenther Nutt owns the 'Seascape' Company and is building Wharram
                    TIKIs and PAHI 52s (and possibly PAHI 60s) in Phuket, Thailand.
                    Probably looks better because of the center pod, maybe the
                    professional build.
                    > Kevin Burns

                  • Bill
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 4, 2009
                      Tangentially related (except that it involves some interview time with
                      Wharram) is this film, posted online. Nice bit of video. The interview
                      with Wharram appears around 2:44 in part I. Part II is worth watching
                      too.
                      http://bluewaterfilm.org/

                      Bill in Ohio.
                      Long Micro Pugnacious
                    • Greg Flemming
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
                        There's another parallel an'all! PCB mentioned in the furledsails
                        podcast that he'd run out of steam until Suzanne came along and gave
                        him a new lease on life, as it were. Much the same thing did seem to
                        happen with Wharram when Henneke Boon came along with her design
                        impetus.

                        Wharram's lifestyle was hardly conducive to getting him accepted by
                        the "yachting" set in the UK or anywhere else, for that matter.

                        That's a great quality video that Bill has posted the link to, still
                        haven't looked at part 2 but very impressive.

                        GregF

                      • Pierce Nichols
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
                          Not being accepted by the 'yachting set' strikes me as a personal
                          recommendation... or at least a case of having the right enemies.

                          -p

                        • Jim
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
                            Kevin,
                            Can you provide any more information about the "outfit in the
                            Philippines?"
                            Thanks
                            Jim

                          • Kevin Burns
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
                              Hi Jim,
                                   It's Andy Smith Boatworks.  Here is a link to their website.
                               http://www.andy-smith-boatworks.com/psd/home/index.html  The last two they built were the two ethnic style cats that Wharram and Heneke Boon are sailing around the Pacific as we speak, retracing the ancient Polynesian's routes.

                            • graeme19121984
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 6, 2009
                                >There is also an outfit in the Phillipines building his designs and a
                                new one in Florida building Wharram Tikis.

                                Franchised builders also in Mumbai, in South Africa, in Germany, and
                                there's somewhat of a rebel to the sea people hardline cedar bucket PC
                                in Texas.