Re: Small boat vs. small boat

  • Myles J. Swift
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 2, 2009
      Jim Michaels asks "Anybody thought about a Junebug? I've seen some beautiful Junebugs and they are very versitile (can be rowed, paddled or sailed)."

      I love my June Bug. If the wind is up I can stay with the Lasers. Rowing in the early calm is nice. I set up both rowing positions and we do that for exercise when we are at our cabin. Sailing with two adults is do-able but not quick. Rowing is good with one, two or three aboard.

      I'd not put JuneBug at the top of the listed of car toppers. 20 year ago I would have been able to do that easily, not so much now. A June Bug trailer can be very minimal. Mine is a sprung axle kit welded to an old bed frame. Somebody else made it years ago but it work great and is June Bug is very quick to launch and retrieve.

      We've lifted June Bug over the rocks at a local messabout. It is easy for 3, work for 2, and I wouldn't try it alone.

      MylesJ

    • ladycathyofwales
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 2, 2009
        Even without racing, faster can be better. If you are sailing
        upstream against a current, or in tidal waters against the tide, even
        1 kt extra matters. Likewise, ability to sail closer to the wind can
        save you quite a bit of time when it's time to return to the dock.

        That said, after reviewing various comments on the Net about the
        Teal, I've concluded that it's too unstable to trust in anything
        close to open water (e.g., gunkholing in Massachusetts bays). Looks
        like a fun boat for inland lakes.

        Cathy

        > Cathy wrote:
        >> Bruce, having built both the Teal and Tortoise, what would
        >> you say are the advantages of the Teal, other than appearance?
        >> Does it sail better upwind?

        Bruce replied:
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 2, 2009
          > That said, after reviewing various comments on the Net about the
          > Teal, I've concluded that it's too unstable to trust in anything
          > close to open water (e.g., gunkholing in Massachusetts bays). Looks
          > like a fun boat for inland lakes.
          >
          > Cathy

          I took my Teal out in San Francisco Bay, (Raccoon Strait), and have
          beach launched and sailed it coastal in the Pacific Ocean too. Paying
          close attention to current and weather forecast of course! Perhaps I
          should have been more worried, but I didn't feel I was taking
          excessive risk.
        • Jim Michaels
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 2, 2009
            Cathy:

            Likewise, what are the tradeoffs between a Brick and the PDRacer that

            > has gotten so much attention?

            My sons (age 10 & ll)  and I built a PD Racer last summer and had a blast!

            It is log and chine construction, we used no epoxy - only Titebond II and PL Premium construction cement.  We painted it with latex enamel paint and made a polytarp sail (the Bolger 59 Leg 'O Muttom rig).  It sails great, weighs 90lbs. (car-toppable on our Volvo) and seats me and my 2 kids comfortably.  It is very stable.  The cost was under $200.00  The PD Racer is a variation of the Bolger Brick - Shorty Routh, founder of the PD Racer group, built a Brick, then fiddled with the hull rocker.   The PD Racer is an easy to build, inexpensive and fun entry level sailboat.   I am really glad I built it as my first sailboat because it was so easy, yet I learned a lot about boat building.

            Anyway, the PD Racer Website details the birth of the PD Racer in 2003.  Nearly  300 of these boats have actually been built, and there are many variations.   I think most of the builders, though somewhat dubious initally, have been thrilled by the fun of sailing the finished product.   I believe the reason we are hitting 300 owes to the ease of the build, the strength of support within the PD Racer Community, and the fun of the finished boat.

            Personally, I am ready to "move up" from that build -  Basically, I want to build a sharpie now that I've built a scow.   That is why I am setting my sights on the Junebug.

            I know the PD Racer is not in name a Bolger Design, but It is a variation on the Brick - and with the Bolger 59 Leg 'O Muttom rig, it has a lot of Bolger in it (I love that rig).

            Good Luck!

            Jim in St. Louis

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 3, 2009
              There's Bolger's Big Tortoise (Payson calls it a Brick too). Little
              extra weight than Tortoise, same pile of materials, for a longer
              waterline.

              [ Hey gang, what is the design number for this one? It is not on the
              group database, and Dynamite doesn't include it in his study plans
              packet (yet it is in there on the price sheet). I've heard tell that
              it is actually a plan of Dynamite's own doing to compete with the
              Brick as once offered by Bernie Wolfard, but Dynamite wouldn't mess
              with PCB's name... eg. it is clearly marked as a "Phillip C Bolger"
              plan, but I can't make out the number at the Instant Boats site:
              http://www.instantboats.com/brick.htm ]

              Another small easily cartopped boat (the brief was for a pair of
              toppers), and well recommended by PCB, is the Peero. If thought too
              unstable, add stability like Gregg did:

              http://www.carlsondesign.com/projects.html#Pirogue
              bet that sailed ok against wind and tide

              Plans and building guide are still here:

              http://www.friend.ly.net/users/dadadata/boat/bolger.html#peero

              and I believe the price is unchanged.

              Graeme
            • graeme19121984
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 3, 2009

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jhkohnen@...> wrote:

                > I've found that, if two boats are about the same weight, the longer
                boat
                > will be easier to get on top of a car.
              • Charles Rouse
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 4, 2009
                  - In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984" <graeme19121984@...>
                  wrote:

                  Hi, I have the plans for that boat, and the boat in the garage. I
                  need to paint it and put on the rig. I hope to sail it this spring.
                  The number on the plan is #597. There's no name, but the plan
                  indicates it's for "Montgomery Boat Yard." It's more of a Stretch
                  Tortoise than a Brick. I adapted the rig myself, using the Brick as
                  an example.Mr. Payson has some information about this one in his
                  latest book.

                  Charles Rouse

                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 6, 2009
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Rouse" <ro43use@...> wrote:
                    > Hi, I have the plans for that boat, and the boat in the garage...

                    Thankyou Charles,

                    I've entered the info in the database.

                    Fair winds this spring
                    Graeme