Small boat vs. small boat

  • ladycathyofwales
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1, 2009
      Looking at the smallest Bolger boats, I'm trying to determine the
      tradeoffs between Tortoise, Elegant Punt, and perhaps Teal. All 3
      seem to be simple one-man boats, with Teal a little harder to build
      but probably a better sailor. Are all 3 realistically car-toppable?

      Likewise, what are the tradeoffs between a Brick and the PDRacer that
      has gotten so much attention?

      Cathy
    • loosemoosefilmworks
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 1, 2009
        I'd add the Nymph to the mix as just possibly the best Bolger boat
        from two sheets of plywood department. Over the years I have built
        around a dozen and it is a no vice boat on every level.

        Bob
        http://boatbits.blogspot.com/
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 1, 2009
          I have built one Teal and two Tortoises. They are about equally easy
          to build, but the pointy ends of the Teal add to the weight, making it
          that much harder to lift on top of a automobile. The Tortoise is
          nearly an ideal choice, except that some people think it doesn't look
          like a boat should look. Tortoise carries two adults easily when
          rowing, (or one adult and two kids). It also is heck of a lot of fun
          to sail. I haven't tried sailing with a passenger, it would be tight.
          With my second Tortoise I paid special attention to keeping the
          weight light, and I am really happy with how easy it is to carry
          partially due to the light weight but also due to the compact shape.
          I suspect that Nymph and Elegant Punt both have similar advantages,
          except that their curvy shaped bilge panels mean less load carrying
          capacity compared with the Tortoise.
        • Jamie Orr
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 1, 2009
            I built an Elegant Punt for/with my eight year old son because it
            didn't need epoxy or glass, which meant he could safely help. It
            turned out to be a great little boat, it carried the whole family
            (four of us) while the kids were small (about ages 9 and 12) and it's
            still in use 12 years later, protected only by oil paint over the fir
            ply. It sails well enough with the standard instant boat rig, over-
            the-side daggerboard and all.

            Jamie

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ladycathyofwales"
            <catherine.james@...> wrote:

            > Looking at the smallest Bolger boats, I'm trying to determine the
            > tradeoffs between Tortoise, Elegant Punt, and perhaps Teal. All 3
            > seem to be simple one-man boats, with Teal a little harder to build
            > but probably a better sailor. Are all 3 realistically car-toppable?
            >
            > Likewise, what are the tradeoffs between a Brick and the PDRacer
            that
            > has gotten so much attention?
            >
            > Cathy

          • ladycathyofwales
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 1, 2009
              Bruce, having built both the Teal and Tortoise, what would you say are
              the advantages of the Teal, other than appearance? Does it sail
              better upwind?

              Cathy

              Bruce Hallman wrote:
              > I have built one Teal and two Tortoises. They are about equally easy
              > to build...
            • Harry James
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 1, 2009
                I have built a couple of Elegant punts and I can easily carry it on my
                back and would have no problem getting it up on a car. I am 64 with a
                back that is 5 years older.

                HJ

                ladycathyofwales wrote:
                > Looking at the smallest Bolger boats, I'm trying to determine the
                > tradeoffs between Tortoise, Elegant Punt, and perhaps Teal. All 3
                > seem to be simple one-man boats, with Teal a little harder to build
                > but probably a better sailor. Are all 3 realistically car-toppable?
                >
                > Likewise, what are the tradeoffs between a Brick and the PDRacer that
                > has gotten so much attention?
                >
                > Cathy

              • John Kohnen
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 2, 2009
                  I've found that, if two boats are about the same weight, the longer boat
                  will be easier to get on top of a car. But I use tubular racks and stick a
                  piece of pipe out the end of one of them, then lift one end of the boat up
                  on the pipe, then lift the other end of the boat up and put it on the
                  other rack... Harder to do with a stubby boat.

                  --
                  John <jkohnen@...>
                  After all, all he did was string together a lot of old, well-
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 2, 2009
                    I built an Elegant Punt several years ago to act as the tender to a Catalina 22. Nice boat. I always got compliments at the dinghy dock. I, too , would put two adults and two small kids in it (plus a couple of bags of stuff -- food, towels -- gas can) for rowing out to the mooring.

                    I built exactly to the plans/specs, with the bottom covered in fiberglass. I could lift it into the bed of a pickup, or maybe even carry it a few feet hanging off my shoulder, but I would have had trouble putting it on the roof of a car by myself (It's not long enough to lift one end at a time as high as a car roof). With two people, it would be easy.

                    I've never built the other two, but I have the plans and have studied them. I don't think any of these would be more or less difficult to build than the others. They're all pretty simple and about the same procedure -- cut out the sides -- join them with the stem/transom; put in the chines and gunwales; measure and install the bottom; finish the interior and the sailing bits; paint.

                    DavidC

                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 2, 2009
                      On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 7:18 PM, ladycathyofwales
                      <catherine.james@...> wrote:

                      > Bruce, having built both the Teal and Tortoise, what would you say are
                      > the advantages of the Teal, other than appearance? Does it sail
                      > better upwind?
                      >
                      > Cathy

                      Sailing 'better' is such a subjective concept. The Teal is probably
                      faster, but faster isn't better unless the purpose is racing, or
                      transportation getting somewhere quick. In my case, the purpose is
                      sailing lazy circles around the cove on a summer day. For that
                      purpose, the Tortoise was the better boat. It 'feels' plenty fast
                      when you sail it, and it is easy to haul to the lake and launch. I
                      chopped up my first too heavy Tortoise. I gave away the Teal and still
                      love my second (lighter weight) Tortoise.
                    • Jim Michaels
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 2, 2009
                        Anybody thought about a Junebug?   I've seen some beautiful Junebugs and they are very versitile (can be rowed, paddled or sailed).   I plan to build one next year, starting Jan 1, 2010 (I made a pledge to the family that I would take a year off of boat building).

                        Jim in St. Louis

                        ---- Jamie Orr <jas_orr@yahoo. com> wrote:

                        > I built an Elegant Punt for/with my eight year old son because it

                        > didn't need epoxy or glass, which meant he could safely help. It

                        > turned out to be a great little boat, it carried the whole family

                        > (four of us) while the kids were small (about ages 9 and 12) and it's

                        > still in use 12 years later, protected only by oil paint over the fir

                        > ply. It sails well enough with the standard instant boat rig, over-

                        > the-side daggerboard and all.

                        > Jamie

                        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups. com, "ladycathyofwales"

                        > <catherine.james@ ...> wrote:

                        > > Looking at the smallest Bolger boats, I'm trying to determine the

                        > > tradeoffs between Tortoise, Elegant Punt, and perhaps Teal. All 3

                        > > seem to be simple one-man boats, with Teal a little harder to build

                        > > but probably a better sailor. Are all 3 realistically car-toppable?

                        > > Likewise, what are the tradeoffs between a Brick and the PDRacer

                        > that

                        > > has gotten so much attention?

                        > > Cathy

                      • Myles J. Swift
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 2, 2009
                          Jim Michaels asks "Anybody thought about a Junebug? I've seen some beautiful Junebugs and they are very versitile (can be rowed, paddled or sailed)."

                          I love my June Bug. If the wind is up I can stay with the Lasers. Rowing in the early calm is nice. I set up both rowing positions and we do that for exercise when we are at our cabin. Sailing with two adults is do-able but not quick. Rowing is good with one, two or three aboard.

                          I'd not put JuneBug at the top of the listed of car toppers. 20 year ago I would have been able to do that easily, not so much now. A June Bug trailer can be very minimal. Mine is a sprung axle kit welded to an old bed frame. Somebody else made it years ago but it work great and is June Bug is very quick to launch and retrieve.

                          We've lifted June Bug over the rocks at a local messabout. It is easy for 3, work for 2, and I wouldn't try it alone.

                          MylesJ

                        • ladycathyofwales
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 2, 2009
                            Even without racing, faster can be better. If you are sailing
                            upstream against a current, or in tidal waters against the tide, even
                            1 kt extra matters. Likewise, ability to sail closer to the wind can
                            save you quite a bit of time when it's time to return to the dock.

                            That said, after reviewing various comments on the Net about the
                            Teal, I've concluded that it's too unstable to trust in anything
                            close to open water (e.g., gunkholing in Massachusetts bays). Looks
                            like a fun boat for inland lakes.

                            Cathy

                            > Cathy wrote:
                            >> Bruce, having built both the Teal and Tortoise, what would
                            >> you say are the advantages of the Teal, other than appearance?
                            >> Does it sail better upwind?

                            Bruce replied:
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 2, 2009
                              > That said, after reviewing various comments on the Net about the
                              > Teal, I've concluded that it's too unstable to trust in anything
                              > close to open water (e.g., gunkholing in Massachusetts bays). Looks
                              > like a fun boat for inland lakes.
                              >
                              > Cathy

                              I took my Teal out in San Francisco Bay, (Raccoon Strait), and have
                              beach launched and sailed it coastal in the Pacific Ocean too. Paying
                              close attention to current and weather forecast of course! Perhaps I
                              should have been more worried, but I didn't feel I was taking
                              excessive risk.
                            • Jim Michaels
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 2, 2009
                                Cathy:

                                Likewise, what are the tradeoffs between a Brick and the PDRacer that

                                > has gotten so much attention?

                                My sons (age 10 & ll)  and I built a PD Racer last summer and had a blast!

                                It is log and chine construction, we used no epoxy - only Titebond II and PL Premium construction cement.  We painted it with latex enamel paint and made a polytarp sail (the Bolger 59 Leg 'O Muttom rig).  It sails great, weighs 90lbs. (car-toppable on our Volvo) and seats me and my 2 kids comfortably.  It is very stable.  The cost was under $200.00  The PD Racer is a variation of the Bolger Brick - Shorty Routh, founder of the PD Racer group, built a Brick, then fiddled with the hull rocker.   The PD Racer is an easy to build, inexpensive and fun entry level sailboat.   I am really glad I built it as my first sailboat because it was so easy, yet I learned a lot about boat building.

                                Anyway, the PD Racer Website details the birth of the PD Racer in 2003.  Nearly  300 of these boats have actually been built, and there are many variations.   I think most of the builders, though somewhat dubious initally, have been thrilled by the fun of sailing the finished product.   I believe the reason we are hitting 300 owes to the ease of the build, the strength of support within the PD Racer Community, and the fun of the finished boat.

                                Personally, I am ready to "move up" from that build -  Basically, I want to build a sharpie now that I've built a scow.   That is why I am setting my sights on the Junebug.

                                I know the PD Racer is not in name a Bolger Design, but It is a variation on the Brick - and with the Bolger 59 Leg 'O Muttom rig, it has a lot of Bolger in it (I love that rig).

                                Good Luck!

                                Jim in St. Louis

                                ladycathyofwales wrote:

                                > Looking at the smallest Bolger boats, I'm trying to determine the

                                > tradeoffs between Tortoise, Elegant Punt, and perhaps Teal. All 3

                                > seem to be simple one-man boats, with Teal a little harder to build

                                > but probably a better sailor. Are all 3 realistically car-toppable?

                                > Likewise, what are the tradeoffs between a Brick and the PDRacer that

                                > has gotten so much attention?

                                > Cathy

                              • graeme19121984
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 3, 2009
                                  There's Bolger's Big Tortoise (Payson calls it a Brick too). Little
                                  extra weight than Tortoise, same pile of materials, for a longer
                                  waterline.

                                  [ Hey gang, what is the design number for this one? It is not on the
                                  group database, and Dynamite doesn't include it in his study plans
                                  packet (yet it is in there on the price sheet). I've heard tell that
                                  it is actually a plan of Dynamite's own doing to compete with the
                                  Brick as once offered by Bernie Wolfard, but Dynamite wouldn't mess
                                  with PCB's name... eg. it is clearly marked as a "Phillip C Bolger"
                                  plan, but I can't make out the number at the Instant Boats site:
                                  http://www.instantboats.com/brick.htm ]

                                  Another small easily cartopped boat (the brief was for a pair of
                                  toppers), and well recommended by PCB, is the Peero. If thought too
                                  unstable, add stability like Gregg did:

                                  http://www.carlsondesign.com/projects.html#Pirogue
                                  bet that sailed ok against wind and tide

                                  Plans and building guide are still here:

                                  http://www.friend.ly.net/users/dadadata/boat/bolger.html#peero

                                  and I believe the price is unchanged.

                                  Graeme
                                • graeme19121984
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 3, 2009

                                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jhkohnen@...> wrote:

                                    > I've found that, if two boats are about the same weight, the longer
                                    boat
                                    > will be easier to get on top of a car.
                                  • Charles Rouse
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 4, 2009
                                      - In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984" <graeme19121984@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      Hi, I have the plans for that boat, and the boat in the garage. I
                                      need to paint it and put on the rig. I hope to sail it this spring.
                                      The number on the plan is #597. There's no name, but the plan
                                      indicates it's for "Montgomery Boat Yard." It's more of a Stretch
                                      Tortoise than a Brick. I adapted the rig myself, using the Brick as
                                      an example.Mr. Payson has some information about this one in his
                                      latest book.

                                      Charles Rouse

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Feb 6, 2009
                                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Rouse" <ro43use@...> wrote:
                                        > Hi, I have the plans for that boat, and the boat in the garage...

                                        Thankyou Charles,

                                        I've entered the info in the database.

                                        Fair winds this spring
                                        Graeme