Working with Shock Cord

  • adventures_in_astrophotography
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 27, 2009
      What are folks using to secure the ends of lengths of shock cord? In
      the past I've just tied stopper knots in them, but this is bulky and
      the knots can slip over time. I looked for some small hog rings at
      Home Depot yesterday and couldn't find anything that would work.

      Any suggestions?

      Jon
    • pesterle@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 27, 2009
        WM has ss hog rings in various sizes...

        Paul Esterle

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 27, 2009
          On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:19 AM, adventures_in_astrophotography
          <jon@...> wrote:
          > What are folks using to secure the ends of lengths of shock cord? In
          > the past I've just tied stopper knots in them, but this is bulky and
          > the knots can slip over time. I looked for some small hog rings at
          > Home Depot yesterday and couldn't find anything that would work.
          >
          > Any suggestions?
          >
          > Jon

          I would use rope whipping...

          http://sailing.mit.edu/LearntoSail/SailingBooklet/figure12.png
        • Joe Tribulato
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 29, 2009
            Whip it then dip it in epoxy or your favorite glue. That should hold.

            Joe T

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:

            > On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:19 AM, adventures_in_astrophotography
            > <jon@...> wrote:
            > > What are folks using to secure the ends of lengths of shock cord? In
            > > the past I've just tied stopper knots in them, but this is bulky and
            > > the knots can slip over time. I looked for some small hog rings at
            > > Home Depot yesterday and couldn't find anything that would work.
            > >
            > > Any suggestions?
            > >
            > > Jon

          • John Kohnen
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 29, 2009
              If you use a needle whipping you can dispense with the goo:

              http://www.ropefashions.com/fashions2/thumbnails.php?album=29

              Any other type of whipping will soon fail, without help...

              --
              John <jkohnen@...>
              The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the