1950 Deep Water Utility

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 16, 2009
      http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/3202628608/

      Here is an isometric of the first Bolger boat built. 15'6" long. I
      think it interesting, that even as a 23 year old kid, Phil Bolger was
      thinking out of the box. Notice the inboard well mounted 10
      horsepower outboard. This eliminated the need for steering and
      throttle linkage, which was troublesome in 1950.
    • Pierce Nichols
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 16, 2009
        He referred to that boat in one of the essays in BWAOM... in the
        context of saying nasty things about inboard wells.

        -p

        On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:
        > http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/3202628608/
        >
        > Here is an isometric of the first Bolger boat built. 15'6" long. I
        > think it interesting, that even as a 23 year old kid, Phil Bolger was
        > thinking out of the box. Notice the inboard well mounted 10
        > horsepower outboard. This eliminated the need for steering and
        > throttle linkage, which was troublesome in 1950.

      • mark hamill
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 17, 2009
          Do you remember what things he said about the wells--too complicated or prone to leaks??

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Pierce Nichols" <rocketgeek@...> wrote:

          > He referred to that boat in one of the essays in BWAOM... in the
          > context of saying nasty things about inboard wells.

        • Howard Stephenson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 17, 2009
            Nice rendition as usual, Bruce. Where did you find the plans?

            Mounting the "outboard" in the middle of the boat was quite common at
            one time (and might still be for all I know) in small light flat-
            bottomed fishing craft. I guess Bolger calls it a deep-water boat
            because it has a higher freeboard than those, and a vee bottom.

            These fishing boats were not high-speed planing craft. I suspect a
            well in the middle of a planing surface would lead to a great shower
            of water coming up through the hole even before planing speed was
            reached.

            In a chapter by David D. Beach (an appropriate name) in the FAO book
            "Fishing Boats of the World 2" (first published 1960) there are
            several drawings and photos of small flat-bottomed craft with a
            variety of outboard wells, including a few in the centre of the hull,
            and even one offset to one side at the stern.

            Howard

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 17, 2009
              On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 1:08 PM, Howard Stephenson
              <howardstephenson@...> wrote:
              > Nice rendition as usual, Bruce. Where did you find the plans?

              Thanks. There was a brief "Bolger on Design" write up in MAIB
              V13-N13, including just the plan, a partial profile and a grainy photo
              of the boat. Somewhat obscured, so my rendering involves educated
              guessing below the waterline, but I'd bet it is pretty close to
              accurate.
            • Pierce Nichols
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 17, 2009
                It's in the commentary on his 'Slicer' design, on pg 91. His
                objections are numerous -- they get fumes in the boat, they're hard to
                fair properly, they either block the motor from swinging up or they
                take up more space than an inboard, they interfere with reserve
                boyancy and watertight integrity, etc. It's worth reading yourself; if
                you don't own the book yourself, the passage can be found on Google
                Books.

                -p