Australian Micro

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 8, 2009
      Just came across an online ad for a tidy looking micro for sale in
      Australia. Interesting picture with the ad. It's a micro, but has the
      mainmast (which is metal) in a tabernacle. Oar locks visible in
      cockpit.
      http://www.adpost.com/au/boats/74/

      That is all.
      Bill
    • Harry James
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 8, 2009
        I have to ask, $28000 ($19,790US)??? Is this any thing but a dream of
        the owner or can a Australian list member respond.

        HJ

        Bill wrote:
        > Just came across an online ad for a tidy looking micro for sale in
        > Australia. Interesting picture with the ad. It's a micro, but has the
        > mainmast (which is metal) in a tabernacle. Oar locks visible in
        > cockpit.
        > http://www.adpost.com/au/boats/74/
        >
        > That is all.
        > Bill

      • Greg Flemming
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 8, 2009
          Bill

          That boat has been for sale for yonks and at the same price. A truly
          excellent Micro sold here is Sydney not SO long ago and the
          owner/builder was asking $12,000 and I assume that the boat went for less.

          Around five years ago I spent a lot on a Micro, $8,000 and at the time
          I knew that I could have knocked the price down but wasn't prepared to
          do that because I appreciated the fact that it was well built and
          would last.

          These are very odd looking boats to many people - especially
          Australians, who really can't stand to be outside the crowd, in
          general. (I am a fourth generation Australian, so I think I can say
          that) So selling an unusual boat in this conservative and relatively
          small market is difficult at any time.

          But asking that sort of price is hopeful, at best!! It was built by
          Duck Flat Wooden Boats in Adelaide, South Australia, and the folding
          mast in a tabernacle was their modification.

          Another Micro with that tabernacle design from Duck Flat had his mast
          snap, as I understand, and he has since replaced the rig with a
          modified ring done by a local Sydney sail maker - that's John Mann's boat.

          GregF

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <kingw@...> wrote:

          > Just came across an online ad for a tidy looking micro for sale in
          > Australia. Interesting picture with the ad. It's a micro, but has the
          > mainmast (which is metal) in a tabernacle. Oar locks visible in
          > cockpit.
          > http://www.adpost.com/au/boats/74/
          >
          > That is all.
          > Bill

        • Greg Flemming
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 9, 2009
            That should have been Harry, I guess!

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 9, 2009
              On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 7:54 PM, Bill <kingw@...> wrote:
              > Just came across an online ad for a tidy looking micro for sale in
              > Australia. Interesting picture with the ad. It's a micro, but has the
              > mainmast (which is metal) in a tabernacle. Oar locks visible in
              > cockpit.
              > http://www.adpost.com/au/boats/74/

              I imagine you could row standing up in the rear deck hatch?

              Also, a clever detail for holding up the tipped down mast while
              resting on the enlarged aft lip of the cabin hatch.
            • Harry James
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 9, 2009
                Thats OK you got it right anyway, middle name is William and I was
                called Bill until I joined the USMC where I found out I was James, Harry
                W. Sir!!

                HJ

                Greg Flemming wrote:
                > That should have been Harry, I guess!
                >
                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Flemming" <greg@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Bill
                >>
                >> That boat has been for sale for yonks and at the same price. A
                >>
                > truly
                >
                >> excellent Micro sold here is Sydney not SO long ago and the
                >> owner/builder was asking $12,000 and I assume that the boat went
                >>
                > for less.
                >
                >> Around five years ago I spent a lot on a Micro, $8,000 and at the
                >>
                > time
                >
                >> I knew that I could have knocked the price down but wasn't prepared

                >> do that because I appreciated the fact that it was well built and
                >> would last.
                >>
                >> These are very odd looking boats to many people - especially
                >> Australians, who really can't stand to be outside the crowd, in
                >> general. (I am a fourth generation Australian, so I think I can say
                >> that) So selling an unusual boat in this conservative and relatively
                >> small market is difficult at any time.
                >>
                >> But asking that sort of price is hopeful, at best!! It was built by
                >> Duck Flat Wooden Boats in Adelaide, South Australia, and the folding
                >> mast in a tabernacle was their modification.
                >>
                >> Another Micro with that tabernacle design from Duck Flat had his
                >>
                > mast
                >
                >> snap, as I understand, and he has since replaced the rig with a
                >> modified ring done by a local Sydney sail maker - that's John
                >>
                > Mann's boat.
                >
                >> GregF
                >>
                >> --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <kingw@> wrote:
                >>
                >>> Just came across an online ad for a tidy looking micro for sale in
                >>> Australia. Interesting picture with the ad. It's a micro, but
                >>>
                > has the
                >
                >>> mainmast (which is metal) in a tabernacle. Oar locks visible in
                >>> cockpit.
                >>> http://www.adpost.com/au/boats/74/
                >>>
                >>> That is all.
                >>> Bill

              • Bryant Owen
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 9, 2009
                  And that's why I'm Owen, Bryant J. Must be that Welsh thing. Of
                  course there was my uncle Owen Owen.

                  Bryant

                  > Thats OK you got it right anyway, middle name is William and I was
                  > called Bill until I joined the USMC where I found out I was James,
                  Harry
                  > W. Sir!!
                  >
                  > HJ
                  >

                  > Greg Flemming wrote:
                  > > That should have been Harry, I guess!
                  > >
                  > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Flemming" <greg@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > >> Bill
                  > >>
                  > >> That boat has been for sale for yonks and at the same price. A
                  > >>
                  > > truly
                  > >
                  > >> excellent Micro sold here is Sydney not SO long ago and the
                  > >> owner/builder was asking $12,000 and I assume that the boat went
                  > >>
                  > > for less.
                  > >
                  > >> Around five years ago I spent a lot on a Micro, $8,000 and at
                  the

                  > > time
                  > >
                  > >> I knew that I could have knocked the price down but wasn't
                  prepared

                  > >> do that because I appreciated the fact that it was well built and
                  > >> would last.
                  > >>
                  > >> These are very odd looking boats to many people - especially
                  > >> Australians, who really can't stand to be outside the crowd, in
                  > >> general. (I am a fourth generation Australian, so I think I can
                  say
                  > >> that) So selling an unusual boat in this conservative and
                  relatively
                  > >> small market is difficult at any time.
                  > >>
                  > >> But asking that sort of price is hopeful, at best!! It was
                  built by
                  > >> Duck Flat Wooden Boats in Adelaide, South Australia, and the
                  folding
                  > >> mast in a tabernacle was their modification.
                  > >>
                  > >> Another Micro with that tabernacle design from Duck Flat had his
                  > >>
                  > > mast
                  > >
                  > >> snap, as I understand, and he has since replaced the rig with a
                  > >> modified ring done by a local Sydney sail maker - that's John
                  > >>
                  > > Mann's boat.
                  > >
                  > >> GregF

                  > > has the

                • Greg Flemming
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 9, 2009
                    Actually I contacted Duck Flat to get the plans they have for the
                    Micro mast tabernacle and they charged something like $27 for that.
                    When it came I didn't like it much, it did look flimsy to me but I
                    guess if you had a metal mast it would be better. Anyway, may as
                    well adapt the tabernacle from Long Micro or go the whole hog and
                    convert to Micro II

                    GregF