Recent Projects (was Bolger Commissions. Any progress?)

  • adventures_in_astrophotography
    Message 1 of 56 , Jan 6, 2009
      Hi Bill,

      > I hope you haven't given up your dream of sailing away. Any thoughts
      > on your next boat?

      After seeing the recent video, Long Micro looks pretty good!

      Lately, small boating has really taken hold of us. We used seven
      different small plywood boats in the last two seasons for various
      outings. These experiences led to ideas for improvements in future
      small boats. I've compiled a long list of weeks/months-long adventures
      we could spend many years pursuing in small boats. But that requires
      keeping a home base somewhere, which we had not been planning all these
      years and requires a different financial plan. It's going to take some
      time to figure out what we really want to do.

      I just finished, save for the spars, a 20' version of Windsprint (most
      of which is on my website), and I'm a couple weekends away from
      completing a rowing-only 25% stretch of Gypsy. I'll get photos of that
      one up as soon as I update my website. These two boats provided
      experience with separate techniques for stretching existing designs.

      The Windsprint is intended to provide us with experience at
      singlehanding, since the Light Schooner is such a handful. It has holds
      for camping gear and we hope to make overnight trips in it.

      The Gypsy stretch is going to be a fishing/camping getaway vehicle for
      me and my dog. It's decked over with dry storage for gear. I'm
      planning to row it on Blue Mesa (Curecanti N.R.A) this summer, and
      possibly the Lower Columbia Water Trail this fall. A sliding seat is
      in the works for this one.

      I just started a simple flat water float tripper of my own design.
      It's sort of a cross between a Colorado River driftboat and Michalak's
      Ozarkian, if you can imagine that. We're hoping to float Little Yampa
      Canyon this year, and do Labyrinth Canyon and the Missouri River Breaks
      as time permits.

      The original plan was to get started on "the big one" after that, but
      who knows what's really next now.

      Jon Kolb
    • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
      Message 56 of 56 , Jan 19, 2009
        I respect a man that askes for a hand up more then a hand out. The
        person with a hand up can give a hand up to others making the world a
        better place. A person that just wants a hand out cares little about
        others. Homeless for many is a choice I have knowen more then a few.

        Jon

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

        > Hi Doug
        > Your concerns sound sincere & valid.
        > Yet I live in a town in rural America where we just dedicated a new
        Animal shelter but we don't have a shelter for the homeless & the
        temp is going down to 19 tonite. And there are literally 100's of
        cities like this across the country. I am always amazed that
        Americans will jump & run to help people around the world but ignore
        the homeless, the hungry, the battered, the abused, and the mentally
        handicapped in our own back yards.
        > Just my opinion.
        >

        > Speaking of fishing boats. I talked to a fellow that has come from
        >
        > Haiti and is now back there. They have no timber left there.
        >
        > Hurricanes, internal strife and a host of other things have ruined
        the

        > timber and boat building industry. Most of the trees were cooked
        into

        > charcoal and used for fuel. Many fishermen no longer have boats.
        These

        > are guys that can help feed the country. Seems like boatnicks
        like

        > some of us here could push some help down there way somehow.. Maybe
        even

        > build one to ship down there. Not a bad thought you know.
        >
        > My Haitian friend carried some Locust seeds down there to
        plant.

        > They may well grow so fast they will run everyone into the sea and
        >
        > will windup the most hated man on earth.
        >
        > If they grow there they could supply lumber for boats or any other
        >
        > need. They can be harvested in less than ten years. As firewood
        it is

        > exceptional and when young it provides fodder for cattle and
        goats.

        > The seeds can be eaten if it's honey locust and maybe not the best
        thing

        > but beer can be made from the paste inside the pods.
        >
        > Just one Bolger fishing boat or light sharpie with a sail may
        well

        > feed a half dozen families or more. An organized effort might be a
        >
        > great thing for such people. The professional builders in these
        boat

        > groups with their know how may likely be able to supply ideas on
        how to

        > build work boats efficiently. There are organizations that ship
        >
        > medical supplies and other needed equipment all over the world and
        I am