Re: Bolger Commissions. Any progress?

  • Bob Slimak
    Message 1 of 56 , Jan 5, 2009
      Beware an ambitious woman with her own agenda:) I suppose if it took
      10 years to finally come up with the plans and you had, by then,
      become to old to build, she would blame you for growing old. You are
      more patient than I. I could never wait for for 7 years! Hope you can
      quickly come up with something more practical so you can get on with
      your cruising. I have found that with the world such a mess,cruising
      our own coast and rivers seems a much better choice anyway.
      Bob

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "adventures_in_astrophotography"
      <jon@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > rather than ocean crossing world cruising and require a design more
      > suited to that style of cruising.
      >
      > With heavy heart after investing our money and seven and a half years
      > of our lives in the project, in October we wrote a one-page letter to
      > PB&F informing them of our decision to terminate the commission and
      > giving them most of the reasons described above. We asked if they
      > would help us identify an existing design that was much smaller,
      > simpler, less expensive, and less time-consuming to build. We
      > expected that they would either be very disappointed or elated to get
      > the project out of the way, but were hopeful that we could purchase
      > one of their existing designs.
      >
      > What we got in response was obviously written by Susanne, and
      > consisted of five pages of 10-point dismay, anger, condecension, and
      > insult. It contained demonstrably wrong assertions about what we had
      > agreed to in the past. The most disturbing was that they (she?)
      > thought that we would "take the project seriously enough" to both
      > quit our jobs and build full time completely indoors as soon as we
      > got the plans. She even laid out a timetable for us to give notice.
      > She wrote that PB&F would have nothing to do with the project if it
      > was to be built part-time and outdoors, especially in Colorado.
      >
      > There was also a paragraph listing several recent commissions for
      > large boats that never got built, or partially built, or the client
      > had changed their plans. At least one (thankfully unnamed) client
      > was ridiculed for deciding to do something different with his life.
      >
      > We were devastated. We had clearly communicated to them in writing
      > that I would be working alone and outdoors way back in 2003. We even
      > bought land in 2003 and erected a small workshop in 2004 specifically
      > for this purpose - I had just sent them photos of the place back in
      > February. They had never mentioned these preconditions previously.
      > There were many other points of serious miscommunication or
      > disagreement in her letter. We supposed we would be added to the
      > paragraph of unfulfilled commissions in any similar letters to future
      > clients.
      >
      > After some careful thought, we replied with another letter pointing
      > out where we disagreed, and noted our displeasure with some of the
      > comments. We once again asked that they help us identify a simpler
      > design. We told them we didn't want our association to end badly,
      > and preferably not end at all.
      >
      > That was in early November of last year. We have not heard back, and
      > sadly, I doubt we will ever hear from them again, unless it is to be
      > excoriated in some future MAIB column.
      >
      > #668 is a great design, clever at every turn and no doubt a perfect
      > home afloat for someone. We hope the design gets finished and
      > somebody builds it, but unfortunately it can't be us. At this point
      > we are still trying to determine what we're going to build.

    • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
      Message 56 of 56 , Jan 19, 2009
        I respect a man that askes for a hand up more then a hand out. The
        person with a hand up can give a hand up to others making the world a
        better place. A person that just wants a hand out cares little about
        others. Homeless for many is a choice I have knowen more then a few.

        Jon

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

        > Hi Doug
        > Your concerns sound sincere & valid.
        > Yet I live in a town in rural America where we just dedicated a new
        Animal shelter but we don't have a shelter for the homeless & the
        temp is going down to 19 tonite. And there are literally 100's of
        cities like this across the country. I am always amazed that
        Americans will jump & run to help people around the world but ignore
        the homeless, the hungry, the battered, the abused, and the mentally
        handicapped in our own back yards.
        > Just my opinion.
        >

        > Speaking of fishing boats. I talked to a fellow that has come from
        >
        > Haiti and is now back there. They have no timber left there.
        >
        > Hurricanes, internal strife and a host of other things have ruined
        the

        > timber and boat building industry. Most of the trees were cooked
        into

        > charcoal and used for fuel. Many fishermen no longer have boats.
        These

        > are guys that can help feed the country. Seems like boatnicks
        like

        > some of us here could push some help down there way somehow.. Maybe
        even

        > build one to ship down there. Not a bad thought you know.
        >
        > My Haitian friend carried some Locust seeds down there to
        plant.

        > They may well grow so fast they will run everyone into the sea and
        >
        > will windup the most hated man on earth.
        >
        > If they grow there they could supply lumber for boats or any other
        >
        > need. They can be harvested in less than ten years. As firewood
        it is

        > exceptional and when young it provides fodder for cattle and
        goats.

        > The seeds can be eaten if it's honey locust and maybe not the best
        thing

        > but beer can be made from the paste inside the pods.
        >
        > Just one Bolger fishing boat or light sharpie with a sail may
        well

        > feed a half dozen families or more. An organized effort might be a
        >
        > great thing for such people. The professional builders in these
        boat

        > groups with their know how may likely be able to supply ideas on
        how to

        > build work boats efficiently. There are organizations that ship
        >
        > medical supplies and other needed equipment all over the world and
        I am