Re: Was: Long Micro sailing video...now Micro/LM extra foil area

  • dnjost
    Message 1 of 42 , Jan 4, 2009
      I love this thread. We know that Micro sails as well as any catboat
      in relatively flat seas, yet suffers performance when the surf kicks
      up or in light airs. A swing keel may be helpful in a couple of ways.
      Rather than pour a solid ballast keel, a keel chamber that contains
      the slot could be poured out of lead shot set in epoxy, then the swing
      keel could be similar to the Birdwatcher with a solid 1/2" metal plate
      set in between a plywood sandwich. Simple hoist through a pipe up to
      the cockpit for the pennant would keep the entire unit water tight.
      Worth a try by someone with a boat and no keel. Perhaps the draft
      could be even less.

      I bet that an arrangement of a gin pole for a jib may be just as helpful.

      I sail frequently on a Precision 21, and owned a Rhodes 22 set up as
      such. The only real PIA is changing the cb pennant. The Precision
      sails very well whereas the Rhodes as a bit of a dog; a result of rig
      more than shape.
    • Bob Slimak
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 17, 2009
        Bolgers plans are STILL relatively cheap. After reading an article on
        the Jarcat catamaran I checked into plans to build. Too expensive by
        far for the plans a couple of years ago. I checked again last week to
        see how your Australian dollar was doing against out US dollar, and
        found that it would still cost $375.00 US to buy the plans for a 16'
        boat! That puts Bolgers prices into perspective.
        Bob