Re: Long Micro sailing video

  • adkgoodboat
    Message 1 of 42 , Jan 3, 2009
      Glad someone thinks the centerboard-alongside-keel idea isn't nutty.
      A further evolution of the thought would be a second side-piece to
      the keel, spaced away from the present plywood side, providing a slot
      for this board and its pendant, for somewhat less drag.
      Not sure how to judge exactly where to put the pin, or how much
      draft to give the thing, but it could be interestingly shaped, curved
      on both leading and trailing edges, and widest at the bottom. Not
      wuth it, I spect, but at this time of year it seems a tempting
      project.
      Where I have sailed Pelican, so far: It's a sore point with
      me,that I have sailed ie not enough and not far enough: at Mystic
      Seaport, during the Bolger celebration summer before last, she
      floated looking like a sailboat but didn't sail (no keel then, but
      spars and sails up); then since she's had her keel, new companionway,
      flotation, etc., a few day-sails on Long Lake and Tupper Lake in the
      Adirondacks, Lake Champlain several single-overnight trips, with 13
      yr-old Maggie, and last October a full-moon solo sailing overnight on
      Schroon Lake.
      Had so hoped to get her to Henderson Harbor for a romp on eastern
      Lake Ontario, and up to Kingston perhaps.
      I have no sailing pictures except from on board. Some of what I do
      have is on www.adirondackgoodboat.com. I have given her a white boot-
      top since those pix, further to lower her topsides (in appearance).
      What I'd love to show you is the Whalewather pictures, but that
      untested marvel is stuck under a jury-rigged canopy-shelter now,
      probably until April. She's done, virtually, and has her mast in the
      tabernacle and other spars in their chocks on deck, but her rig has
      not yet been up. Was hoping for global warming but it didn't come
      around.---Mason

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <kingw@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > performance improves vastly when the jib/gennie is deployed. A
      > bowsprit and slim jib would probably help, but the loads on the mast
      > would have to be appreciated, since there is no backsay or standing
      > rigging.
      >
      > In medium winds the M and LM perform well to windward- even better
      > when the water is flat. A deeper keel/leeboard/etc. might help by
      > biting into deeper waters. Leeboards might be slightly more
      effective
      > b/c the leeward chine is as low or lower than the keel when
      heeled.
      > The weighted, keel-mounted centerboard would also help, I imagine.
      >
      > In strong winds M and LM are probably blown to windward due to their
      > windage/high freeboard. The sides of my LM present approximately 75
      > sq. feet of flat surface area to the wind. The sail on my Gypsy is
      > only 59 sq. feet! I have sailed in steady winds of up to 25 knots
      and
      > not had an issue with windward performance, but that doesn't mean it
      > couldn't be better, although short of a chain-saw I don't know of
      any
      > easy methods of decreasing the windage on the M or LM.
      >
      > So Mason. Where do you sail your Micro, where have you gone, and
      what
      > adventures have you had? Picture? Stories? We're all ears.
      >
      > Bill, LM Pugnacious
      >

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "adkgoodboat" <masonsmith@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Graeme,
      > > Your note about adding a leeboard to a Long Micro brings this
      > > response/question from me. First an observation: The Micro I have
      seems
      > > to sail on the wind pretty well in some conditions. Middling
      winds, I
      > > would say. It makes a lot of leeway in very light airs and in
      strong
      > > breezes, or so I'd say after rather little sailing, half a dozen
      good
      > > outings. Enough leeway sometimes that I have wondered about a
      simple
      > > addition. Wonder how it strikes you:
      > > What about a sinking leeboard so shaped and sized as to fit
      alongside
      > > the fixed keel, shaped to fit in its shadow, pivoted on a bolt
      that
      > > goes through keel, with a pendant that leads from the board to a
      cheek
      > > block on same, near the bottom, then aft to a turning block at
      one of
      > > the holes in the after well, and up through that to hand and
      cleat.
      > > This board could have a low enough aspect (and a fairing in front
      of
      > > it?) to add not too much drag, its mounting would be way strong,
      and it
      > > might make the Micro point quite well. 'Twouldn't be much trouble
      > > try it, though I'd feel a little funny trying to make the Micro

    • Bob Slimak
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 17, 2009
        Bolgers plans are STILL relatively cheap. After reading an article on
        the Jarcat catamaran I checked into plans to build. Too expensive by
        far for the plans a couple of years ago. I checked again last week to
        see how your Australian dollar was doing against out US dollar, and
        found that it would still cost $375.00 US to buy the plans for a 16'
        boat! That puts Bolgers prices into perspective.
        Bob