Re: Long Micro sailing video

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 42 , Jan 3, 2009
      Mason (?) and Graeme,
      That's a neat idea! I had half-thought about some type of centerboard
      in the keel of my LM, but quickly dismissed the idea, in part b/c I
      couldn't think through a decent way of raising the board without
      intruding into the cabin. The line, led aft under the hull is a great
      solution.

      Gramem, for the past two days I've been mulling over your comments on
      leeboards. The Zeigler's Zoon (or Luna?) was a keel-less LM with
      leeboards, and Roger Keyes originally used leeboards, but later added
      the keel to his M. There's the precedent for fitting leeboards to the
      M and LM, but not as auxilliary leeboards. Would make for an
      interesting experiment. I am not planning any modifications for this
      season, but I enjoy mulling over these options.

      My thoughts on why the M and LM are good windward performers [note: I
      don't want anyone to conclude that M and LM are NOT good performers to
      windward. They are good, just not great] fall into three causes,
      depending on wind strength (as Mason noted below). In light winds my
      LM crawls and makes excessive leeway, I suspect, b/c there is no jib
      to improve the airflow around the mainsail. I'm no expert on sail
      theory, but my experience on plastic sloops is that their windward
      performance improves vastly when the jib/gennie is deployed. A
      bowsprit and slim jib would probably help, but the loads on the mast
      would have to be appreciated, since there is no backsay or standing
      rigging.

      In medium winds the M and LM perform well to windward- even better
      when the water is flat. A deeper keel/leeboard/etc. might help by
      biting into deeper waters. Leeboards might be slightly more effective
      b/c the leeward chine is as low or lower than the keel when heeled.
      The weighted, keel-mounted centerboard would also help, I imagine.

      In strong winds M and LM are probably blown to windward due to their
      windage/high freeboard. The sides of my LM present approximately 75
      sq. feet of flat surface area to the wind. The sail on my Gypsy is
      only 59 sq. feet! I have sailed in steady winds of up to 25 knots and
      not had an issue with windward performance, but that doesn't mean it
      couldn't be better, although short of a chain-saw I don't know of any
      easy methods of decreasing the windage on the M or LM.

      So Mason. Where do you sail your Micro, where have you gone, and what
      adventures have you had? Picture? Stories? We're all ears.

      Bill, LM Pugnacious

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "adkgoodboat" <masonsmith@...> wrote:

      > Graeme,
      > Your note about adding a leeboard to a Long Micro brings this
      > response/question from me. First an observation: The Micro I have seems
      > to sail on the wind pretty well in some conditions. Middling winds, I
      > would say. It makes a lot of leeway in very light airs and in strong
      > breezes, or so I'd say after rather little sailing, half a dozen good
      > outings. Enough leeway sometimes that I have wondered about a simple
      > addition. Wonder how it strikes you:
      > What about a sinking leeboard so shaped and sized as to fit alongside
      > the fixed keel, shaped to fit in its shadow, pivoted on a bolt that
      > goes through keel, with a pendant that leads from the board to a cheek
      > block on same, near the bottom, then aft to a turning block at one of
      > the holes in the after well, and up through that to hand and cleat.
      > This board could have a low enough aspect (and a fairing in front of
      > it?) to add not too much drag, its mounting would be way strong, and it
      > might make the Micro point quite well. 'Twouldn't be much trouble to
      > try it, though I'd feel a little funny trying to make the Micro
      > anything it isn't.

    • Bob Slimak
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 17, 2009
        Bolgers plans are STILL relatively cheap. After reading an article on
        the Jarcat catamaran I checked into plans to build. Too expensive by
        far for the plans a couple of years ago. I checked again last week to
        see how your Australian dollar was doing against out US dollar, and
        found that it would still cost $375.00 US to buy the plans for a 16'
        boat! That puts Bolgers prices into perspective.
        Bob