Re: Long Micro sailing video

  • adkgoodboat
    Message 1 of 42 , Jan 2, 2009
      Graeme,
      Your note about adding a leeboard to a Long Micro brings this
      response/question from me. First an observation: The Micro I have seems
      to sail on the wind pretty well in some conditions. Middling winds, I
      would say. It makes a lot of leeway in very light airs and in strong
      breezes, or so I'd say after rather little sailing, half a dozen good
      outings. Enough leeway sometimes that I have wondered about a simple
      addition. Wonder how it strikes you:
      What about a sinking leeboard so shaped and sized as to fit alongside
      the fixed keel, shaped to fit in its shadow, pivoted on a bolt that
      goes through keel, with a pendant that leads from the board to a cheek
      block on same, near the bottom, then aft to a turning block at one of
      the holes in the after well, and up through that to hand and cleat.
      This board could have a low enough aspect (and a fairing in front of
      it?) to add not too much drag, its mounting would be way strong, and it
      might make the Micro point quite well. 'Twouldn't be much trouble to
      try it, though I'd feel a little funny trying to make the Micro
      anything it isn't.
    • Bob Slimak
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 17, 2009
        Bolgers plans are STILL relatively cheap. After reading an article on
        the Jarcat catamaran I checked into plans to build. Too expensive by
        far for the plans a couple of years ago. I checked again last week to
        see how your Australian dollar was doing against out US dollar, and
        found that it would still cost $375.00 US to buy the plans for a 16'
        boat! That puts Bolgers prices into perspective.
        Bob