Birdwatchin' out'a the sun

  • graeme19121984
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2009
      The subject has come up in another thread, and I'm with Greg on this.

      Questions:

      How much cooler will it feel and actually be in an uninsulated BW1
      compared to BW2, with air temperatures about 40degC, and water at
      23degC? Both boats painted white, and some reflective treatment to
      tinted windows, if available.

      Would alloy construction, particularly of the floor, cool the inside
      significantly?

      How much lower the actual total UV exposure in a BW than a regular
      small boat?

      Graeme
    • Greg Flemming
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2009
        Yes Graeme, I suppose the questions you pose are fair enough
        questions to ask. But having said that protection from the sun is
        the main issue with such a layout, there is also the fact that this
        design will undoubtedly make sailing in colder weather more pleasant,
        as well. Now on that subject I'll bet there isn't as much
        speculation and argument! So in a temperate climate, at least, there
        are advantages in all seasons, perhaps.

        I wouldn't think that insulation would make much difference in warm
        weather, due to the large open deck area down the middle in any case;
        maybe more of a difference in colder weather??

        Alloy is not really on the radar for most amateur builders but
        there's no doubt it's a superb material, in many respects.

        Your final point is the most important, for me, at least. UV
        protection is what counts most, for me, with these boats, and my main
        reason for building one. Not having too many people in the boat at
        one time and the judicious use of soft "canvas" covers would also be
        a contributing factor to the design's success in this area, perhaps.

        GregF