Re: MAIB index of Bolger articles

  • graeme19121984
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
      Great index, Bruce.

      Re your: "V24 N17 missing" entry (it's an article by Bob Hicks
      about bow-steering Canard).

      This is again the same article as in V26 N7, ie, a reprint from MAIB
      August 1, 1983.

      The layout is slightly different, with a slightly different sub-
      heading containing the reprint info, but same 3 photos and almost the
      same text (NB: Bob Hicks, not PCB).

      Also, some more re-editing by Mr Hicks that on reflection adds
      something from their personal interaction to an understanding of
      Bolger the man. In V24 N17 the definition of "Canard" toward the end
      is not in quotation marks, and the words "set afloat" therein are
      spelt in lower case. IMHO, the upper case spelling in the later V26
      N7 reprint adds to the punch of the Bolger wry humour and sharp wit.
      (I didn't get it about Canard - which I read first of in BWAOM.
      Bolger must have an encyclopaedia in his head, or, more like, a
      library of 'em!)

      Indeed, "Phil Bolger strikes again." :)

      Graeme
    • graeme19121984
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
        Re: V24 N3, N4, & N10 Otter II Pts 1, & 2, & another (3 on III!)

        These issues predate my subscription, but I have a snippet that tells
        me there were sketches of an Otter III also in these articles, and one
        Otter II builder, the redoubtable Dave Carnell, wrote an article in
        MAIB V24 N10 giving his nod of approval to the Otter III mods.
        Apparently, the Otter III sketches solved some things found wrong with
        Otter II in use. Snippet says see Charles' archived message 55736. I
        guess Otter III deserves a mention in the Bolger in MAIB index.

        Graeme

        > Any help filling in gaps in this index would be
        > appreciated...thanks in advance.
      • graeme19121984
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
          Bruce,
          some of your "missing" may be below.

          BOATS from the online MAIB site index per Roger's Bolger2 "sorting"
          file:
          V N p
          Mouser (aka Garfield) 16' Catboat 1 12 3
          Madeline 19'6" x 7' 10" Paddleboat 1 12 12
          Gypsy 15' x 4' Row, Power, Power, Sail 1 14 6
          Gypsy 15' x 4' Row, Power, Power, Sail 1 14 6
          Gypsy 15' x 4' Row, Power, Power, Sail 1 14 6
          (catboat) 1 15 10
          Pirogue 16' x 3'3" 2 13 8
          #540, #575 Chebbaco 20 19'8 Cat-Yawl 2 13 6
          Lightfoot 24'x5' Schooner 2 18 10
          Micro 16' Cat Yawl 3 2 17
          Oldshoe 12' x 5'4" Cat Yawl 3 6 16
          (catboat) 3 10 12
          The Deuce 17' x 4'10" x English Cutter 3 16 8
          Budget Bateau 25'6 x 4' 10" 5 16 10
          #606 18' Working Skiff 18' x 5'3" 11 17 18
          #614 Flying Cloud 8'x4' Sailing Pram 11 17 28
          Houseboat Concept 38'x11'1" 11 18 28
          Scow Schooner Concept 90'x28' 11 19 28
          #419 Fantail Launch 23'x6' 11 20 22
          #613 Paddling Skiff 7'6"x2' 11 21 28
          #423 30' Camper/Daysailer 32'x7' 11 22 28

          ARTICLES from my MAIB subscription files:

          #420 BoD* Blueberry - Cruising Auxiliary 24 16 28
          (A Dovkie raid story by Bill Neil " " 14)
          #654 BoD A Cruise in Bantam 24 17 20
          (A Canard reprint by Bob Hicks " " 24)
          #367 BoD Nimbus Steel Liveaboard Deisel Cruiser 24 18 30
          (Topaz on cover " " )
          (Payson Instant Boats(28) - kits and plans series " " 25)
          #576 BoD Le Cabotin/Anemone, Part 1 of 4, 24 24 28
          (Bolger/Carnell Featherwind/Nutmeg - building " " 18)
          (Hicks re no 576 issues index (Thibodeau's was at ~374) " " 2)
          BoD Messing About In Fishing Boats Chapter 2 25 5 6
          BoD Messing About In Fishing Boats Chapter 8 25 15 29

          *Bolger On Design article

          Graeme