Re: Long Micro sailing video

  • Greg Flemming
    Message 1 of 42 , Dec 31, 2008
      Bill,

      Should have added one more thing to that last post ; at the present
      time it's almost too hot here for sailing, - or garden shed building,
      for that matter!

      In fact once the weather gets a little cooler, sailing is more
      pleasant, so Autumn's not a bad time at all here, on the water. In
      fact there really is no sailing season as such as winter isn't cold
      enough in this neck of the woods to put all that many people off
      sailing totally.

      Anyway, that's one of the reasons that I've been building a Michalak
      Scram Pram (with smaller rig) because the "Birdwatcher" design gives
      a lot more protection from the sun than a cabin/cockpit boat. many
      people predict that a "birdwatcher" would be too hot but I haven't
      heard anything from anyone with actual sailing experience of them
      here yet.

      There's at least one Birdwatcher in Northern NSW somewhere and that
      may be about it, so far??

      There's a woodenboatforum over here which is quite a good little
      forum and I tried to stir up a bit of comment on the
      Bolger "Birdwatcher" design with a thread there recently which didn't
      go very far!

      http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=85118

      By the way, yesterday I posted a link to your Youtube video on that
      forum too. Hope that's OK with you, Bill!

      http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=86576

      Mind you, I'd had a couple of new year bubblies by then so the
      spelling went out the window! Then again, it could have been all
      that sun in the backyard struggling with the garden shed!

      GregF

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Flemming" <greg@...> wrote:

> [...]
      all
      > when you compare the stability of your LM to a Catalina 30.
      >
      > Keep the videos coming and the sailing reports!
      >
      > Thanks again Bill
      >
      > GregF
      >
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <kingw@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Greg,
      > > It's summer! Don't they give you more time off for Micro
      sailing?
      > > I muddle through the winter months by convincing myself that
      > > micro-nauts in the southern hemisphere are busy sailing.
      > > Reality is ruining my dreamy vision of the life you're living.
      > >
      > > I hope you find time in March, have an adventure, and tell us
      about
      > > it. If you don't get to sail, lie and tell us a great yarn
      anyway.

      > > The stability of the LM impressed me too, as I had expected. I'll
      > > watch other, 20-25 foot sail boats at the dock as their crew moves
      > > about, and they dip and heel and their masts swing about the sky
      > like
      > > seismograph needles. Nothing doing on the LM. She's as stable
      at
      > the
      > > dock as my friend's Catalina 30.
      > >
      > > Under sail she's equally as stable, even when heeled over too
      far.
      > > had thought, for some reason, her stability would diminish when
      > heeled
      > > past 45 degrees- it just seemed as if the flat bottom would lose
      > it's
      > > righting power. I had read she sails best with around 15-20
      degrees
      > > of heel (true). But I've had my LM over pretty far (methinks 60-
      70
      > > degrees on one, white-knuckle day. I wasn't sailing at that angle,
      > > rather I was enjoying a "slight" knockdown and standing on the
      > cockpit
      > > coaming looking down, into the lake). Even at 60-70 degrees she
      has
      > > plenty of righting power, and up she comes.
      > >
      > > The design looks after fools rather well, as I have found,
      provided
      > > one does not allow the boom to dip into a wave and harden the
      > mainsheet.
      > >
      > > Bill
      > >
      > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Flemming" <greg@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Thanks Bill
      > > >
      > > > Both for posting the video on Youtube and for the comments on
      the
      > way
      > > > your LM sails. I think the videos show just how steady the
      boat
      > is
      > > > in the water and that is one of the first things that impressed
      > me
      > > > about Micro.
      > > >
      > > > You have the added advantage of the mast in a tabernacle, too!
      > > >
      > > > Great pictures and thanks again
      > > >
      > > > I think my new year resolution will be to actually get our
      Micro
      > in
      > > > the water again!... and also get a video! Should have a week
      off
      > > > around March or so to do that.
      > > >
      > > > GregF

    • Bob Slimak
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 17, 2009
        Bolgers plans are STILL relatively cheap. After reading an article on
        the Jarcat catamaran I checked into plans to build. Too expensive by
        far for the plans a couple of years ago. I checked again last week to
        see how your Australian dollar was doing against out US dollar, and
        found that it would still cost $375.00 US to buy the plans for a 16'
        boat! That puts Bolgers prices into perspective.
        Bob