Re: Plywood 101/paper boats

  • Forrest Scott Wood
    Message 1 of 63 , Dec 8, 2008
      Hey Y'all;

      These guys cover mainly miniature but "full size" is welcome:
      later,
      Forrest

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Anderson" <bawrytr@...> wrote:

      > Or to get really wild and crazy, a titebond II or III paper mache
      > canoe, waterproofed with shellac, or some crazy high-tech two part
      > varnish or whatever, sort of an updated paper canoe like the one
      > Nathanial Holmes Bishop paddled from Upstate New York to Florida in
      > the 1880s:
      >
      > http://kcupery.home.isp-direct.com/SH.html
      >
      > The crazy thing was, that they actually used the method in the late
      > 1800s to make rowing shells for competition, and they worked out
      > lighter and stiffer than the wooden ones, and won pretty often.
      >
      > http://kcupery.home.isp-direct.com/index.html
      >
      > Cheers, Brian
      >

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <davidjost@> wrote:
      > >
      > > wow. a cardboard boat. Next, someone will want to build a canoe
      from
      > > split wood saplings and birch bark held together with hide
      lacings.
      > > using no exotic materials whatsoever.
      > >
      > > David Jost
      > > Happy Holidays.

    • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
      Message 63 of 63 , Jan 7, 2009
        The only types of plywood that you know for sure have a good core so
        they will not be a problem down the road are the marine plys and good
        MDO. Anything else you will find WILL have voides of one kind or
        another shortning the life of the boat.

        Jon