Re: [bolger] Babbit?

  • .Randy Powell
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2008
      I helped to cast some barrings a few years back, we were carefull to wear resporaters and glass safety glasses, heated it up on a camp stove SLOWLY, be careful be safe and it should go well
      Randy

      ________________________________
      Has anyone tried casting Babbit instead of lead for a counterweight? I
      was talking to one of my millwrights today he mentioned it might be a
      good possible alternative? or of course any other suggestions always
      welcome:)

      Steve

    • Douglas Pollard
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2008
        .Randy Powell wrote:

        > I helped to cast some barrings a few years back, we were carefull to
        > wear resporaters and glass safety glasses, heated it up on a camp
        > stove SLOWLY, be careful be safe and it should go well
        > Randy

        Most Babbit has varying amounts of silver in it so It's pretty
        expensive. I can't emagine why you would want to do that unless you
        have a pile of it, in that case I would sell it and but lead for the keel.

        Doug