Re: Babbit?

  • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2008
      It is a lot lighter but tougher then lead. Wheel weights are lighter
      but a commenly melter dorn the steel clips removed and cast for keels.
      Babbit would be my last choice due to weight loss.

      Jon

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <paradox_4@...> wrote:

      > Has anyone tried casting Babbit instead of lead for a counterweight? I
      > was talking to one of my millwrights today he mentioned it might be a
      > good possible alternative? or of course any other suggestions always
      > welcome:)
      >

      > Steve

    • .Randy Powell
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2008
        I helped to cast some barrings a few years back, we were carefull to wear resporaters and glass safety glasses, heated it up on a camp stove SLOWLY, be careful be safe and it should go well
        Randy

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 5, 2008
          .Randy Powell wrote:

          > I helped to cast some barrings a few years back, we were carefull to
          > wear resporaters and glass safety glasses, heated it up on a camp
          > stove SLOWLY, be careful be safe and it should go well
          > Randy

          Most Babbit has varying amounts of silver in it so It's pretty
          expensive. I can't emagine why you would want to do that unless you
          have a pile of it, in that case I would sell it and but lead for the keel.

          Doug