Babbit?

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2008
      Has anyone tried casting Babbit instead of lead for a counterweight? I
      was talking to one of my millwrights today he mentioned it might be a
      good possible alternative? or of course any other suggestions always
      welcome:)

      Steve
    • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2008
        It is a lot lighter but tougher then lead. Wheel weights are lighter
        but a commenly melter dorn the steel clips removed and cast for keels.
        Babbit would be my last choice due to weight loss.

        Jon

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <paradox_4@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone tried casting Babbit instead of lead for a counterweight? I
        > was talking to one of my millwrights today he mentioned it might be a
        > good possible alternative? or of course any other suggestions always
        > welcome:)
        >

        > Steve

      • .Randy Powell
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2008
          I helped to cast some barrings a few years back, we were carefull to wear resporaters and glass safety glasses, heated it up on a camp stove SLOWLY, be careful be safe and it should go well
          Randy

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 5, 2008
            .Randy Powell wrote:

            > I helped to cast some barrings a few years back, we were carefull to
            > wear resporaters and glass safety glasses, heated it up on a camp
            > stove SLOWLY, be careful be safe and it should go well
            > Randy

            Most Babbit has varying amounts of silver in it so It's pretty
            expensive. I can't emagine why you would want to do that unless you
            have a pile of it, in that case I would sell it and but lead for the keel.

            Doug