Re: [bolger] Re: Plywood 101

    Message 1 of 63 , Dec 4, 2008
      On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Don Ellenbrook <dschurricanes@...> wrote:
      > Hi Bruce...This winter I'm building a boat...Next winter its models..I was
      > very anxious to build.. after reading & mistakes I have made I will do
      > models ...during the winter...Don

      My suggestion is to build the Teal without fiberglass, without paint
      and without the fine finish work. Then take it out boating.

      A plain wood Teal, joints waterproofed with caulk, is fully FUNctional
      and can be built in just a few hours.

      The time consuming work, epoxy/glass/sanding, etc. is all unnecessary
      for having fun in that boat. (It is only needed for looks, and for
      longevity.) It is OK to make and use a Teal as a disposable fun boat.
    • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
      Message 63 of 63 , Jan 7, 2009
        The only types of plywood that you know for sure have a good core so
        they will not be a problem down the road are the marine plys and good
        MDO. Anything else you will find WILL have voides of one kind or
        another shortning the life of the boat.

        Jon