Re: [bolger] Re: Plywood 101

  • Don Ellenbrook
    Message 1 of 63 , Dec 4, 2008
      Hi Dave thanks for the info...Don

      --- On Thu, 12/4/08, David <arbordg@...> wrote:

      From: David <arbordg@...>
      Subject: [bolger] Re: Plywood 101
      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, December 4, 2008, 11:06 AM

      My family was in the plywood biz here in Oregon for many years. I'm a
      professional woodworker/boatbuil der. I've done a number of projects
      with marine grade douglas fir plywood. Certainly it will check if left
      outside and not glassed. Paint alone will not stop the process. Just
      keep in mind that it doesn't take much glass to halt the checking... 2
      oz. fiberglass cloth with epoxy resin will do the trick.

      These days, though, I'd use MDO. Similar, though frequently better,
      core and face - with a factory applied overlay of kraft paper and
      phenolic resin. No glassing required to stop checking. Very durable.
      Cheaper overall that the plywood + the glass & resin.

      Cheers,
      David G
      Harbor Woodworks

      "Simplicity is not the goal. It is the byproduct of a good idea and
      modest expectations" -- Paul Rand

      ************ ******

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups. com, Don Ellenbrook <dschurricanes@ ...> wrote:

      > This might sound crazy but I have read on some sites about the ACX
      plywood thing & they tell me to glass it all... now we have a 12
      footer that weights a ton..I like mussing with boats painting & fixing
      things... to me its all part of having a wood boat...Don

    • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
      Message 63 of 63 , Jan 7, 2009
        The only types of plywood that you know for sure have a good core so
        they will not be a problem down the road are the marine plys and good
        MDO. Anything else you will find WILL have voides of one kind or
        another shortning the life of the boat.

        Jon