Re: [bolger] Re: Plywood 101

    Message 1 of 63 , Dec 3, 2008
      On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 7:48 AM, Don Ellenbrook <dschurricanes@...> wrote:
      > Hi guys.... I'm building Teal out of 3/8's ACX I have the sides pulled in &
      > have started on the chines....I will let you know how things work out... Don

      Sounds good, keep us posted. For what it is worth, when I built my
      Teal out of 1/4" plywood, (without much attention to keeping the
      weight down), I ended up unsatisfied because the boat weighed too much
      and carrying it around it was *not* fun. I ended up giving it away
      and building a lighter boat. I will paraphrase the truism (I think
      from Phil Bolger): The ideal boat is light enough to carry on your
      shoulder, or large enough to live aboard.
    • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
      Message 63 of 63 , Jan 7, 2009
        The only types of plywood that you know for sure have a good core so
        they will not be a problem down the road are the marine plys and good
        MDO. Anything else you will find WILL have voides of one kind or
        another shortning the life of the boat.

        Jon