Re: [bolger] Re: Plywood 101

  • John Kohnen
    Message 1 of 63 , Dec 2, 2008
      Marine plywood made with lauan could be made to pass the British 1088
      standard (BTW, apparently you can't trust that "BS 1088" plywood bought in
      the US really is, because the standard is only enforced in the UK, or so
      I've been told...). As a wood, lauan isn't bad stuff. It used to be called
      "Philippine Mahogany" and was considered to be pretty good for planking
      boats. But the el cheapo lauan underlayment found at the big box stores is
      junk, and no British plywood inspector would give it any sort of marine
      plywood rating. In fact it's probably below _any_ standard for structural
      use. But that didn't stop me from building my PDR out of it. <g> Never
      again...

      How come you're so well behaved here, Jon. ;o)

      On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 21:52:20 -0800, JonA wrote:

      > Not all Luan is 1088 unless stamped on face or
      > edge. Some may be interior glued and some places will tell you that.

      John <jkohnen@...>
      A belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men
      alone are quite capable of every wickedness. <Joseph Conrad>
    • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
      Message 63 of 63 , Jan 7, 2009
        The only types of plywood that you know for sure have a good core so
        they will not be a problem down the road are the marine plys and good
        MDO. Anything else you will find WILL have voides of one kind or
        another shortning the life of the boat.

        Jon