[bolger] Re: Bobcat and plywood thickness

  • Foster Price
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 25, 1999
      Hello All

      Pippo Wrote:
      My 6 mm plywood is
      actually 5.5 mm thick, 3 plies with a thick core and very thin external
      veneers. It's 100% 1st quality marine okoume plywood. The 8 mm is 5
      plies, and the real thickness should be half way between 1/4" and 5/16"
      (7-7.5 mm). What is the real thickness, and how many plies does it
      have, of marine fir 1/4" plywood?

      Watch out for plywood that has an extreme difference between the thickness of the plys as it will not be "balanced".

      By "balance" I mean the plys characteristics in bending along both axis ie longways on the sheet and across. This is really important when building boats that have even the slightest compound curve in the panels. Many bow panels fall into this category and "Bobcat", with her full sections would almost certainly be slightly compound (even though not designed that way).

      We once planked a large catamaran with very slight compound curves (a Wharram Tiki 38) and it was easy with the ply we used. Others we have talked with had real dificulties using the same plans etc. but different plywood.

      Lots of factors seem to contribute to "balance" , maybe someone else can comment.

      Regards - Foster

      Want the power to purchase wisely? Productopia has the answers.
      http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/553

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger