Re: [bolger] Cartopper gunwale (gunn'l) ideas please

  • .Randy Powell
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 5, 2008
      Solid wood and spacers look very nice and offer lots of advantages. The spacers look great if they have a concave profile on the ends. To do this start with a block of wood 1/2" taller than your finished spacer size and about 1 1/2'' thick and 4 or 5 " long. Cut a slot in the bottom so the spacer just  passes through, then bore a3/8" hole from the top down about 1/2'' in from the end. Cut your spacer strips to a size easy to handle about 24" long. Clamp the block to your drill press lining up the hole with the 3/8" Forcener bit in the chuck. Slid the strip in and drill down near the end to create the concave end, push the strip through about 11/2' to 3" and drill again, and out pops a nice unit with 2 concave ends, repeat many times. Make up some clamps from 11/2" to 3" black plastic plumping pipe cut into 1" pieces with a slot cut through them length wise so you can squeeze them over the hull and gunwales. Different sized cuts in clamps allow for
      different clamping pressure, have fun
      Randy

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 6, 2008
        One other (maybe obvious) trick is to take the time to lay out the
        spacers around any other things that are or will be on the gunwales.
        Ribs, oarlocks, thwarts, etc. can foul things up. It is also a good
        idea to work both sides the same way - both aft, forward, or forward, aft.

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, ".Randy Powell" <rpspiritwaters@...> wrote:

        > Solid wood and spacers look very nice and offer lots of advantages.
        The spacers look great if they have a concave profile on the ends. To
        do this start with a block of wood 1/2" taller than your finished
        spacer size and about 1 1/2'' thick and 4 or 5 " long. Cut a slot in
        the bottom so the spacer just �passes through, then bore a3/8" hole
        from the top down about 1/2'' in from the end. Cut your spacer strips
        to a size easy to handle about 24" long. Clamp the block to your drill
        press lining up the hole with the 3/8" Forcener bit in the chuck. Slid
        the strip in and drill down near the end to create the concave end,
        push the strip through�about 11/2' to 3" and drill again, and out pops
        a nice unit with 2 concave ends, repeat many times. Make up some
        clamps from�11/2" to 3" black plastic plumping pipe cut into 1" pieces
        with a slot cut through them length wise so you can squeeze them over
        the hull and gunwales. Different sized cuts in clamps allow for
        > different clamping pressure, have fun
        > Randy�

      • andrew_kieren
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 6, 2008
          Great! thanks there are some really good ideas here.

          Now what about the ideal dimensions of a gunwale for a cartopper?

          Bill's post suggests to me 1/2" by 1 1/2" strips inside and out. Does
          that become 1/2" plus 1/2" spacer inside and 1/2" outside? That would
          be a total of 1 3/4" including the 1/4" ply side.

          Regards,

          Andrew
        • Brian Anderson
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 6, 2008
            I used 3/8" (9mm) strips and spacers, which I think worked out really
            well, so I would imagine, proportionally, 1/2" would work well with
            the car topper.

            Cheers, Brian