Re: Cartopper gunwale (gunn'l) ideas please

  • titanicslim
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 5, 2008
      There's another aspect to this here operation and that's required
      space/available space. I'm always building one that's just a little
      too big for my facilities and therefore am addicted to portable buzz
      saws. Don't they eat up some batteries, though?

      Dave

      http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images/prod/6/Skil-Power-Tools-95100-rw-94877-160482.jpg
      > > http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE2-984037reg.jpg
      > >

      > > I think I first learned about this trick from Dyanmite Payson,
      > > bringing the tool to the wood is easier than bringing the wood to the
      > > tool.
      > >
      > > ------------------------------------
      > >
      > > Bolger rules!!!
      > > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging
      dead horses
      > > - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks, Fred'
      posts
      > > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA,
      01930, Fax: (978)
      > > 282-1349
      Yahoo! Groups
      > > Links

    • .Randy Powell
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 5, 2008
        Solid wood and spacers look very nice and offer lots of advantages. The spacers look great if they have a concave profile on the ends. To do this start with a block of wood 1/2" taller than your finished spacer size and about 1 1/2'' thick and 4 or 5 " long. Cut a slot in the bottom so the spacer just  passes through, then bore a3/8" hole from the top down about 1/2'' in from the end. Cut your spacer strips to a size easy to handle about 24" long. Clamp the block to your drill press lining up the hole with the 3/8" Forcener bit in the chuck. Slid the strip in and drill down near the end to create the concave end, push the strip through about 11/2' to 3" and drill again, and out pops a nice unit with 2 concave ends, repeat many times. Make up some clamps from 11/2" to 3" black plastic plumping pipe cut into 1" pieces with a slot cut through them length wise so you can squeeze them over the hull and gunwales. Different sized cuts in clamps allow for
        different clamping pressure, have fun
        Randy

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 6, 2008
          One other (maybe obvious) trick is to take the time to lay out the
          spacers around any other things that are or will be on the gunwales.
          Ribs, oarlocks, thwarts, etc. can foul things up. It is also a good
          idea to work both sides the same way - both aft, forward, or forward, aft.

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, ".Randy Powell" <rpspiritwaters@...> wrote:

          > Solid wood and spacers look very nice and offer lots of advantages.
          The spacers look great if they have a concave profile on the ends. To
          do this start with a block of wood 1/2" taller than your finished
          spacer size and about 1 1/2'' thick and 4 or 5 " long. Cut a slot in
          the bottom so the spacer just �passes through, then bore a3/8" hole
          from the top down about 1/2'' in from the end. Cut your spacer strips
          to a size easy to handle about 24" long. Clamp the block to your drill
          press lining up the hole with the 3/8" Forcener bit in the chuck. Slid
          the strip in and drill down near the end to create the concave end,
          push the strip through�about 11/2' to 3" and drill again, and out pops
          a nice unit with 2 concave ends, repeat many times. Make up some
          clamps from�11/2" to 3" black plastic plumping pipe cut into 1" pieces
          with a slot cut through them length wise so you can squeeze them over
          the hull and gunwales. Different sized cuts in clamps allow for
          > different clamping pressure, have fun
          > Randy�

        • andrew_kieren
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 6, 2008
            Great! thanks there are some really good ideas here.

            Now what about the ideal dimensions of a gunwale for a cartopper?

            Bill's post suggests to me 1/2" by 1 1/2" strips inside and out. Does
            that become 1/2" plus 1/2" spacer inside and 1/2" outside? That would
            be a total of 1 3/4" including the 1/4" ply side.

            Regards,

            Andrew
          • Brian Anderson
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 6, 2008
              I used 3/8" (9mm) strips and spacers, which I think worked out really
              well, so I would imagine, proportionally, 1/2" would work well with
              the car topper.

              Cheers, Brian