RE: [bolger] Cartopper gunwale (gunn'l) ideas please

  • Kathy Kreamer
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 5, 2008
      FWIW, etc.

      Plywood is not real good for rub rails because of exposed end grain. Run a
      boat-length 2x4 through the table saw to get 3/8" or 1/2" strips, 1-1/2"
      wide. And maybe do a seventh piece, to split into square-section battens to
      cap the raw edges of the plywood sides. For the rub rails, laminate 3
      layers, on the outside. Later, add a bit of rail on the inside where you
      want to put oarlocks. The rail tops can be perpendicular to the sides, but
      making at least a slight slope to the outside.

      Make a bunch of clamps from 6" plywood squares & shims. Clamp it all up at
      once, and use small brads to prevent the strips from slipping. After six
      hours, pull out the brads that show on the outside. Grind everything smooth
      and round the corners. On pointy boats, dub off the bow to cover with a
      false stem piece. It goes together pretty quick once you get going.

      -Bill

      _____

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 5, 2008
        > Run a boat-length 2x4 through the table saw

        Much easier to rip a long 2x using a ripping guide on a portable circular saw.

        http://www.hallman.org/roar/Ripping.jpg
        http://www.arro.ie/32443.jpg
        http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images/prod/6/Skil-Power-Tools-95100-rw-94877-160482.jpg
        http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE2-984037reg.jpg

        I think I first learned about this trick from Dyanmite Payson,
        bringing the tool to the wood is easier than bringing the wood to the
        tool.
      • Brian Anderson
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 5, 2008
          If you are actually going to cartop the boat, then planing/sanding the
          gunwales level across the boat would be a good idea as they would then
          have a broader surface in contact with the roof rack (or if you
          transport it right-side-up, would be less likely to chafe the straps)
          and would be less likely to get dinged up during transport.

          I really like the looks of gunwales with an outside strip, hull,
          inside spacers and then an inside strip. It doesn't take a lot more
          time, adds some strength, and adds a lot to the looks of the boat. The
          spaces also are useful to tie stuff down, rig cargo nets, and whatnot.

          I would also suggest solid wood as opposed to plywood.

          I just finished a little one-man decked double paddle canoe in spruce
          and used the spaced gunwales. Weather and moving house has prevented
          me from the first splash, but a couple of neighbors have seen her, and
          the first and last comments are always the gunwales...

          Cheers, Brian

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "andrew_kieren" <a.c.l.yen@...> wrote:

          > My Bolger cartopper project is comming along well with the centreboard
          > case about to go in, the mast step and partner glued and it is all
          > looking "nautical".
          >
          > I am about to look at the gunwales and wonder what the alternatives
          > are.
          > 1. External strip only or internal and external gunwale strips,
          > 2. tops planed level or tops planed perpendicular to the sides they are
          > fixed to or semicircular cross sections
          > 3. those fancy looking internal gunwales that have the spacers and gaps
          > so that you can tip the water out of the boat easily
          > 4. single pieces of straight grained wood or multiple layers of thin
          > ply built up with epoxy
          >
          > I would appreciate any wisdom and pros and cons from the group.
          >
          > Andrew
          >
          > P.S. I haven't got around to posting photos yet, but I will.

        • John and Kathy Trussell
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 5, 2008
            If you don't have a table saw or a big enough space to rip an 8 ft piece of
            wood, you can obtain good results with a rip fence attached to a skil saw.
            You can also make up a jig with 2 levels-one to hold the work and the other
            to guide the base of the skil saw. This will enable you to make several 7
            to 1 cuts accurately and quickly.

            I find that a table saw is not particularly useful in boat building,
            primarily because so many boat pieces are big, floppy, unwieldy, and often
            heavy. Running work like this over a table saw, particularly in confined
            spaces scares me. I am much more comfortable using hand tools on stationary
            work which is stable and supported by a pair of saw horses. In addition,
            good quality power hand tools (my 'skil saw' is a Porter Cable worm drive)
            cost a fraction of the cost of mediocre stationary tools, and I think that
            the hand tool alternative is the best for most folks. Now if you have a 2000
            square foot shop and a large budget for stationary tools, my objections lose
            much of their logic.

            JohnT

            _____

            From: bolger@yahoogroups. <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com> com

          • welshman@ptialaska.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 5, 2008
              I think this is more a personal preference thing Bruce. I am blessed with a large
              and very well equipped boatshop and if I am going to rip anything for finish work
              then it will be on the table saw.

              That being said many don't have a full sized stationary pro table saw table saw and
              a good skill saw can do a lot with guides and a mashita blade.

              HJ

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 5, 2008
                I do own and use a table saw, but I tend to use more for precision
                angle cross cuts, in the mode advocated by Fred Bingham (with his
                "SLAT", sliding auxiliary table).

                http://books.google.com/books?id=W3ttLw5z9ywC&pg=PA81&lpg=PA81&dq=sliding+auxiliary+table&source=web&ots=QcelNzs1qT&sig=P4VriDDCSLQusYu82MT2ERq11xI&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=2&ct=result
              • titanicslim
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 5, 2008
                  There's another aspect to this here operation and that's required
                  space/available space. I'm always building one that's just a little
                  too big for my facilities and therefore am addicted to portable buzz
                  saws. Don't they eat up some batteries, though?

                  Dave

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, welshman@... wrote:

                  > I think this is more a personal preference thing Bruce. I am blessed
                  with a large
                  > and very well equipped boatshop and if I am going to rip anything
                  for finish work
                  > then it will be on the table saw.
                  >
                  > That being said many don't have a full sized stationary pro table
                  saw table saw and
                  > a good skill saw can do a lot with guides and a mashita blade.
                  >
                  > HJ
                  >

                  > Run a boat-length 2x4 through the table saw
                  > >
                  > > Much easier to rip a long 2x using a ripping guide on a portable
                  circular saw.

                  > > http://www.hallman.org/roar/Ripping.jpg
                  > > http://www.arro.ie/32443.jpg

                  http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images/prod/6/Skil-Power-Tools-95100-rw-94877-160482.jpg
                  > > http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE2-984037reg.jpg
                  > >

                  > > I think I first learned about this trick from Dyanmite Payson,
                  > > bringing the tool to the wood is easier than bringing the wood to the
                  > > tool.
                  > >
                  > > ------------------------------------
                  > >
                  > > Bolger rules!!!
                  > > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging
                  dead horses
                  > > - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks, Fred'
                  posts
                  > > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA,
                  01930, Fax: (978)
                  > > 282-1349
                  Yahoo! Groups
                  > > Links

                • .Randy Powell
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 5, 2008
                    Solid wood and spacers look very nice and offer lots of advantages. The spacers look great if they have a concave profile on the ends. To do this start with a block of wood 1/2" taller than your finished spacer size and about 1 1/2'' thick and 4 or 5 " long. Cut a slot in the bottom so the spacer just  passes through, then bore a3/8" hole from the top down about 1/2'' in from the end. Cut your spacer strips to a size easy to handle about 24" long. Clamp the block to your drill press lining up the hole with the 3/8" Forcener bit in the chuck. Slid the strip in and drill down near the end to create the concave end, push the strip through about 11/2' to 3" and drill again, and out pops a nice unit with 2 concave ends, repeat many times. Make up some clamps from 11/2" to 3" black plastic plumping pipe cut into 1" pieces with a slot cut through them length wise so you can squeeze them over the hull and gunwales. Different sized cuts in clamps allow for
                    different clamping pressure, have fun
                    Randy

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 6, 2008
                      One other (maybe obvious) trick is to take the time to lay out the
                      spacers around any other things that are or will be on the gunwales.
                      Ribs, oarlocks, thwarts, etc. can foul things up. It is also a good
                      idea to work both sides the same way - both aft, forward, or forward, aft.

                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, ".Randy Powell" <rpspiritwaters@...> wrote:

                      > Solid wood and spacers look very nice and offer lots of advantages.
                      The spacers look great if they have a concave profile on the ends. To
                      do this start with a block of wood 1/2" taller than your finished
                      spacer size and about 1 1/2'' thick and 4 or 5 " long. Cut a slot in
                      the bottom so the spacer just �passes through, then bore a3/8" hole
                      from the top down about 1/2'' in from the end. Cut your spacer strips
                      to a size easy to handle about 24" long. Clamp the block to your drill
                      press lining up the hole with the 3/8" Forcener bit in the chuck. Slid
                      the strip in and drill down near the end to create the concave end,
                      push the strip through�about 11/2' to 3" and drill again, and out pops
                      a nice unit with 2 concave ends, repeat many times. Make up some
                      clamps from�11/2" to 3" black plastic plumping pipe cut into 1" pieces
                      with a slot cut through them length wise so you can squeeze them over
                      the hull and gunwales. Different sized cuts in clamps allow for
                      > different clamping pressure, have fun
                      > Randy�

                    • andrew_kieren
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 6, 2008
                        Great! thanks there are some really good ideas here.

                        Now what about the ideal dimensions of a gunwale for a cartopper?

                        Bill's post suggests to me 1/2" by 1 1/2" strips inside and out. Does
                        that become 1/2" plus 1/2" spacer inside and 1/2" outside? That would
                        be a total of 1 3/4" including the 1/4" ply side.

                        Regards,

                        Andrew
                      • Brian Anderson
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 6, 2008
                          I used 3/8" (9mm) strips and spacers, which I think worked out really
                          well, so I would imagine, proportionally, 1/2" would work well with
                          the car topper.