Re: Windsprint (scaling up from the Teal)

  • pvanderwaart
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2008
      I probably should keep my opinions to myself because I'm not that much
      of a builder, but....

      Bolger himself has noted that some of his boats are strong enough, but
      maybe not as strong as desirable, depending on what the user wants.
      For example, he wrote than the side of the Thomaston Galley would
      weave in and out a bit under sail, and he has written that the Folding
      Schooner would be better built of heavier stuff if the user could
      handle the extra weight in the folding operation (perhaps with some
      sort lift arrangement).

      My Cynthia J. was 3/8 and the hull was plenty strong, but one of the
      seats broke when I stood on it after a couple of years. This is a flat
      piece of ply with 1x2 framing.

      The lesson I take is that the specified sizes are good enough, but you
      don't want to skimp on the quality.