Re: [bolger] Windsprint (scaling up from the Teal)

  • Patrick Crockett
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2008
      Steven:

      The scantlings are fine on the Windsprint. I've never even wondered if
      the 1/4" plywood was adequate on Otter
      (http://www.patrickcrockett.com/boats/index.html) -- it has always
      seemed quite strong enough to me. I used to worry about the yard
      snapping when the wind came up, but after 10 years of no mishap, I quit
      worrying about that.

      I did break a rudder in half and broke the rudder stock in half. The
      latter was due to a void in the plywood. I used marine ply for the hull
      but cut corners with the blades. Not a good plan as it turned out -- the
      stock broke as we were careening toward a group of kayaks at the MASCF,
      and the rudder folded up a few years later as we were trying to maneuver
      out of the way of a ferry.

      You can definitely trust Bolger to design a strong, safe boat. (I would
      not have had rudder problems if I had built to the design.)

      There was a Windsprint with a leeboard at the MASCF one year. Wind
      didn't blow hard enough that year to really test it, but I think it was
      probably fine. Looked easy but not quite as attractive. The daggerboard
      is definitely a pain in shallow water -- you have to pay attention to
      how far you are from the edge of the channel. On the other hand, having
      the well on the side of the boat opens up the interior and makes for
      uncomplicated structural engineering.

      I would recommend 2-part purchase on the sheet. Bolger drew a single
      part sheet and it was unpleasant to hang on to in any wind at all.

      Patrick

      Hal Lynch wrote:
      > On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 6:18 PM, Steven DAntonio <sdantonio93@...>wrote:
      >
      >> Well, after having fun with the Teal (which originally was going to be
      >> a windsprint, but it got scaled down). I have a few questions.
      >>
      >> I know the ultimate authority on this is Phil Bolger himself, but I
      >> would also like to get a few other opinions first regarding the
      >> following changes.
      >>
      >> 2. Any thoughts regarding using a leeboard instead of a daggerboard
      >> (this way I won't crack the daggerboard box when I hit something).
      > I use a "Michalak style" leeboard on my teal and it works just fine.
      >> . 3/8 ply instead of 1/4.
      > I built my Teal using 3/8 ply and it turned out VERY HEAVY. If I had it to
      > do over I would use 1/4.
      >

      > hal

    • pvanderwaart
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2008
        I probably should keep my opinions to myself because I'm not that much
        of a builder, but....

        Bolger himself has noted that some of his boats are strong enough, but
        maybe not as strong as desirable, depending on what the user wants.
        For example, he wrote than the side of the Thomaston Galley would
        weave in and out a bit under sail, and he has written that the Folding
        Schooner would be better built of heavier stuff if the user could
        handle the extra weight in the folding operation (perhaps with some
        sort lift arrangement).

        My Cynthia J. was 3/8 and the hull was plenty strong, but one of the
        seats broke when I stood on it after a couple of years. This is a flat
        piece of ply with 1x2 framing.

        The lesson I take is that the specified sizes are good enough, but you
        don't want to skimp on the quality.