Elegant Punt Doubled!

  • givifreak007
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2008
      Has anyone toyed with the idea of building an Elegant Punt 50% to 100% larger than the
      plans? This would make the boat approximately the size and shape of a San Francisco
      Pelican -- only without all of the building headaches.

      I would guess you could use a Cat yawl rig with sprit sails like on the Micro or Old Shoe?

      Any thoughts?

      Thanks,

      Kevin
    • pvanderwaart
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2008
        > Has anyone toyed with the idea of building an Elegant Punt
        > 50% to 100% larger than the plans?

        I've even thought of using the EP as a model for a scow schooner 28
        feet long, not that I would ever build such a thing.

        I have a couple of comments. The rule of thumb for enlarging boats ins
        10% is about the max you should go before a complete redesign. Even a
        50% increase is going to need a completely different structure. You
        may find that the complexity works back to something like the Pelican.
        If you haven't already, try to get a look at some of Bolger's other
        prams, e.g. the Supermouse and the Japanese beach cruiser.

        A better idea, IMHO, would be to pick one of Jim Mickalak's designs,
        such as the piccup pram. (He has several-pram bowed designs.) They are
        as simple as anything that actually works, and have been built before.

        http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/piccup_pram/index.htm