Re: oarlock placement?

  • bill shamblin
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2008
      i set a coleman canoe up to row by sitting on the floor on a low
      wooden crate and cushion totaling about 6" from floor. then i
      screwed two 4" 2x4" blocks the the gunnels and screwed a 5' long 2x4
      down crosswise on top of them. i drilled 1/2" holes in the ends of
      the 2x4 for the oarlocks which made a first class rowing ststion for
      homemade oars of bannister rail and screw-on plywood blades. it
      didnt matter if the rig was slightly off center fore and aft.
      sorry no picture.

      bill in nc

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "bcd5194" <reenbrad@...> wrote:

      > Hello to all,
      > Looking for advice on oarlocks for my "Waterman 16" canoe (I know,
      not
      > a Bolger boat, hope you guys aren't offended). When
      > building, didn't think about rowing, I mainly sail, but tired of
      > lugging that battery
      > and motor around, so tried setting up for rowing. Problem is, the
      > center seat is about 5 inches too high for rowing; I could lower
      the
      > seat (lots of work!), or I could raise the oarlocks (easy, but
      ugly!).
      > I've posted pics in photo section titled "rowing?". Hopefully you
      can
      > see in the pics where the old sidemount oarlocks were and where
      they
      > need to be. Just need a "3rd eye" view. Maybe one of you knows a
      > better way altogether.
      > Cheers and thanks for any and all responses,
      > Bradley

    • mark hamill
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2008
        http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~fassitt/canoe_mirror/m
        anning/manning.html

        This is an excellent article from Wooden Boat by Sam Manning that will
        allow you to sail the canoe as well.

        The American Red Cross Canoeing
        New York, Doubleday. 1973

        This book has a homemade plan for a sailing and rowing rig. There are
        instructions fro determining oarlock and oar sizes. The sailrig is a
        lateen. I used this rig for years but will make a Manning rig for my
        next canoe.

        Both designs would probably work well on some canoelike Bolber designs.

        Mark
      • mark hamill
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2008
          For the Manning Article try Googling Sticks and String Canoe. It is not
          the complete article from Wooden Boat so you may want to look it up
          there.
          Manning, Sam F., author and illustrator: "Sticks and String," 22:33