Re: Windsprint (scaling up from the Teal)

  • titanicslim
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Steven DAntonio" <sdantonio93@...>
      wrote: > 2. Any thoughts regarding using a leeboard instead of a
      daggerboard (this way I won't crack the daggerboard box when I hit
      something).
      My own thoughts on the subject are all positive. Anybody who has
      spent several weeks in a small C/B equipped cuddy knows that an
      outside board can surely be made to perform as well as one inside,
      dammit! Install two of them and sleep through your watch like baby
      bear in hollow tree with Mama.

      Dave
    • daschultz2000
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Steven DAntonio" <sdantonio93@...> wrote:

        > 1. Payson mentioned regarding the teal, if the rear bulkhead is moved
        > back and turned into a tombstone transom, this would add a lot of
        > stability to the craft.
        >
        > 2. Any thoughts regarding using a leeboard instead of a daggerboard
        > (this way I won't crack the daggerboard box when I hit something).
        >
        > 3. 3/8 ply instead of 1/4.

        I would try to comm w' Payson re these changes. The transom is his
        idea, and he is a very experienced builder/designer himself.
      • Hal Lynch
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
          On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 6:18 PM, Steven DAntonio <sdantonio93@...>wrote:

          > Well, after having fun with the Teal (which originally was going to be
          > a windsprint, but it got scaled down). I have a few questions.
          >
          > I know the ultimate authority on this is Phil Bolger himself, but I
          > would also like to get a few other opinions first regarding the
          > following changes.
          >
          > 2. Any thoughts regarding using a leeboard instead of a daggerboard
          > (this way I won't crack the daggerboard box when I hit something).

          I use a "Michalak style" leeboard on my teal and it works just fine.

          > 3. 3/8 ply instead of 1/4.

          I built my Teal using 3/8 ply and it turned out VERY HEAVY. If I had it to
          do over I would use 1/4.

          hal

        • Patrick Crockett
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2008
            Steven:

            The scantlings are fine on the Windsprint. I've never even wondered if
            the 1/4" plywood was adequate on Otter
            (http://www.patrickcrockett.com/boats/index.html) -- it has always
            seemed quite strong enough to me. I used to worry about the yard
            snapping when the wind came up, but after 10 years of no mishap, I quit
            worrying about that.

            I did break a rudder in half and broke the rudder stock in half. The
            latter was due to a void in the plywood. I used marine ply for the hull
            but cut corners with the blades. Not a good plan as it turned out -- the
            stock broke as we were careening toward a group of kayaks at the MASCF,
            and the rudder folded up a few years later as we were trying to maneuver
            out of the way of a ferry.

            You can definitely trust Bolger to design a strong, safe boat. (I would
            not have had rudder problems if I had built to the design.)

            There was a Windsprint with a leeboard at the MASCF one year. Wind
            didn't blow hard enough that year to really test it, but I think it was
            probably fine. Looked easy but not quite as attractive. The daggerboard
            is definitely a pain in shallow water -- you have to pay attention to
            how far you are from the edge of the channel. On the other hand, having
            the well on the side of the boat opens up the interior and makes for
            uncomplicated structural engineering.

            I would recommend 2-part purchase on the sheet. Bolger drew a single
            part sheet and it was unpleasant to hang on to in any wind at all.

            Patrick

            Hal Lynch wrote:
            > On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 6:18 PM, Steven DAntonio <sdantonio93@...>wrote:
            >
            >> Well, after having fun with the Teal (which originally was going to be
            >> a windsprint, but it got scaled down). I have a few questions.
            >>
            >> I know the ultimate authority on this is Phil Bolger himself, but I
            >> would also like to get a few other opinions first regarding the
            >> following changes.
            >>
            >> 2. Any thoughts regarding using a leeboard instead of a daggerboard
            >> (this way I won't crack the daggerboard box when I hit something).
            > I use a "Michalak style" leeboard on my teal and it works just fine.
            >> . 3/8 ply instead of 1/4.
            > I built my Teal using 3/8 ply and it turned out VERY HEAVY. If I had it to
            > do over I would use 1/4.
            >

            > hal

          • pvanderwaart
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 4, 2008
              I probably should keep my opinions to myself because I'm not that much
              of a builder, but....

              Bolger himself has noted that some of his boats are strong enough, but
              maybe not as strong as desirable, depending on what the user wants.
              For example, he wrote than the side of the Thomaston Galley would
              weave in and out a bit under sail, and he has written that the Folding
              Schooner would be better built of heavier stuff if the user could
              handle the extra weight in the folding operation (perhaps with some
              sort lift arrangement).

              My Cynthia J. was 3/8 and the hull was plenty strong, but one of the
              seats broke when I stood on it after a couple of years. This is a flat
              piece of ply with 1x2 framing.

              The lesson I take is that the specified sizes are good enough, but you
              don't want to skimp on the quality.