Re: Dovekie for Sale

  • muscongus
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 25, 2008
      More things I forgot. (why can't you edit your own posts in these forums?)
      This Dovekie has a bow centerboard.
      There is a pair of Shaw and Tenney 10' oars.
      Jack

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "muscongus" <muscongus@...> wrote:

      > Hello Folks,
      > My wife and I are moving to Maine, and I've decided to sell the Dovekie.
      > We'll have a new house and barn to work on and little time, and will
      > probably try to find a small cruising keelboat (Stonehorse maybe) once
      > we're settled in.
      > The boat is in great shape.
      > Two good sails, one of the newer , larger sails (143sq'), and a spare,
      > the smaller (128sq').
      > All canvas covers are new, made of SunbrellaPlus, (hatch covers,
      > dodger, rearcockpit cover, back porch) Back porch has stainless sell
      > tube frame, two layer sides, (window and screen). There are two good
      > sets of older canvas covers as well, one dodger with window. Nearly
      > new Honda 2hp 4stroke long shaft outboard. Factory side outboard
      > mount. Large bulkhead mount compass. New portapottie, larger holding
      > tank. New Bruce anchor/6' of chain/nylon rode. New halyard, Forestay,
      > sheet. Deck white, bottom and topsides repainted green. Large
      > fiberglass Leeboards, fiberglass boom gallows, wooden mast and boom
      > (refinished). New Seaswing gimballed stove, propane, with quick mount
      > to forward edge of cockpit bench.
      > Three new trailer wheel/tires. Trailer very good condition. New carpet
      > on trailer bunk boards.
      > Email for photos.
      > muscongus@frontiernet,net
      > Asking $6000 for all.
      > Thanks,
      > Jack Manley
      > Northville,NY
      > 518-863-2100 (home)
      > 518-424-2890 (cell)

    • Susan Davis
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 27, 2008
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "muscongus" <muscongus@...> wrote:

        > More things I forgot. (why can't you edit your own posts in these
        > forums?)

        Because this is a mailing list, not a web forum. You can't edit past
        messages because they've already been emailed to everyone, and can't
        be un-sent.

        --
        Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
      • muscongus
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 27, 2008
          Susan,
          I guess I am in the minority then. I have the function which emails
          the new posts disabled. I treat all these Yahoo groups just like
          forums. I look at them as I choose, reading any new posts that
          interest me.
          Thanks for the explanation. ( I thought it was just bad, dated software)
          Jack

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Davis" <futabachan@...> wrote:

          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "muscongus" <muscongus@> wrote:
          > >
          > > More things I forgot. (why can't you edit your own posts in these
          > > forums?)
          >
          > Because this is a mailing list, not a web forum. You can't edit past
          > messages because they've already been emailed to everyone, and can't
          > be un-sent.
          >
          > --
          > Susan Davis <futabachan@...>

        • malcolmf
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 27, 2008
            My two cents worth.
            If I were moving to Maine (currently in NH & not likely to move) the
            last boat that I would want to sell would be a Dovekie. Or anything
            else that I could trail so easily and still be able to handle some open
            water. You have an excellent boat for use on the Maine Island Trail.
            Hang it onto the back end of the car and go exploring anywhere from
            Portland to Machias.
            If you get the Stonehorse, or something similar, you are tied to a
            mooring and sailing in just one location. Great boat, but it requires a
            major effort to see other of that wonderful coast than where you are
            moored.
            You are headed to one of the great stretches of sailing in the world, go
            for the distance. Nothing goes upwind like a trailer.
            Calm Seas & A Prosperous Voyage
            Malcolm

            muscongus wrote:

            > Hello Folks,
            > My wife and I are moving to Maine, and I've decided to sell the Dovekie.
            > We'll have a new house and barn to work on and little time, and will
            > probably try to find a small cruising keelboat (Stonehorse maybe) once
            > we're settled in.
            > The boat is in great shape.
            > Two good sails, one of the newer , larger sails (143sq'), and a spare,
            > the smaller (128sq').
            > All canvas covers are new, made of SunbrellaPlus, (hatch covers,
            > dodger, rearcockpit cover, back porch) Back porch has stainless sell
            > tube frame, two layer sides, (window and screen). There are two good
            > sets of older canvas covers as well, one dodger with window. Nearly
            > new Honda 2hp 4stroke long shaft outboard. Factory side outboard
            > mount. Large bulkhead mount compass. New portapottie, larger holding
            > tank. New Bruce anchor/6' of chain/nylon rode. New halyard, Forestay,
            > sheet. Deck white, bottom and topsides repainted green. Large
            > fiberglass Leeboards, fiberglass boom gallows, wooden mast and boom
            > (refinished). New Seaswing gimballed stove, propane, with quick mount
            > to forward edge of cockpit bench.
            > Three new trailer wheel/tires. Trailer very good condition. New carpet
            > on trailer bunk boards.
            > Email for photos.
            > muscongus@frontiernet,net
            > Asking $6000 for all.
            > Thanks,
            > Jack Manley
            > Northville,NY
            > 518-863-2100 (home)
            > 518-424-2890 (cell)

          • 9buck crowley
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 27, 2008
              Hi,
              I've got to agree with Malcom here. I use my "Micro" to cruise on the Maine coast and as much as I like it their have been many times I wished I had built a "Birdwatcher" instead so I could explore the thousands of tidal creeks and estuaries on the coast. Even out amongst the islands the Dovekies shallow draft will allow you to take routes that keel boats can't chance. I'd try it for a summer before I sold it.
              Buck
              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 28, 2008
                On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 7:50 PM, 9buck crowley <buckcrowley@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                > I've got to agree with Malcom here. I use my "Micro" to cruise on the Maine
                > coast and as much as I like it their have been many times I wished I had
                > built a "Birdwatcher" instead so I could explore the thousands of tidal
                > creeks and estuaries on the coast. Even out amongst the islands the Dovekies
                > shallow draft will allow you to take routes that keel boats can't chance.
                > I'd try it for a summer before I sold it.
                > Buck

                The effective draft of a Micro is about 18" which is considered to be
                shoal draft by most. The distinction (I think) is that the
                Birdwatcher is shallower than shoal draft, and is actually beachable.
                The trouble with 'beachable' with a boat to heavy to drag around are
                the tides and the motorboat wakes.
              • muscongus
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 13, 2008
                  Hello,
                  I've gotten a lot of interest in the Dovekie, as well as several
                  thoughtful emails about not discounting the value of shallow draft in
                  Maine. I do know that the boat will not see any use for several years,
                  so I'm sure I want to sell it.
                  I've reduced the price to $5500 with the Honda 2hp, and $5000 without
                  the Honda. That's my bottom line. It's very well equipped and in
                  excellent shape.
                  Photos available by email, as well as a list of additional equipment
                  and extra canvas etc.
                  Thanks,
                  Jack

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "muscongus" <muscongus@...> wrote:

                  > Hello Folks,
                  > My wife and I are moving to Maine, and I've decided to sell the Dovekie.
                  > We'll have a new house and barn to work on and little time, and will
                  > probably try to find a small cruising keelboat (Stonehorse maybe) once
                  > we're settled in.
                  > The boat is in great shape.
                  > Two good sails, one of the newer , larger sails (143sq'), and a spare,
                  > the smaller (128sq').
                  > All canvas covers are new, made of SunbrellaPlus, (hatch covers,
                  > dodger, rearcockpit cover, back porch) Back porch has stainless sell
                  > tube frame, two layer sides, (window and screen). There are two good
                  > sets of older canvas covers as well, one dodger with window. Nearly
                  > new Honda 2hp 4stroke long shaft outboard. Factory side outboard
                  > mount. Large bulkhead mount compass. New portapottie, larger holding
                  > tank. New Bruce anchor/6' of chain/nylon rode. New halyard, Forestay,
                  > sheet. Deck white, bottom and topsides repainted green. Large
                  > fiberglass Leeboards, fiberglass boom gallows, wooden mast and boom
                  > (refinished). New Seaswing gimballed stove, propane, with quick mount
                  > to forward edge of cockpit bench.
                  > Three new trailer wheel/tires. Trailer very good condition. New carpet
                  > on trailer bunk boards.
                  > Email for photos.
                  > muscongus@frontiernet,net
                  > Asking $6000 for all.
                  > Thanks,
                  > Jack Manley
                  > Northville,NY
                  > 518-863-2100 (home)
                  > 518-424-2890 (cell)

                • Dan Walker
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 17 9:39 AM

                    Good Morning

                    I would be interested in selling my Bolger Dovekie.  It is hull number 139, complete and in excellent condition.  It is located on the North Carolina coast.

                    If interested please contact me at walkervd@... for details.

                    Thanks

                    Dan Walker