18' work skiff - update

  • dnjost
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 21, 2008
      18' work skiff is progressing nicely. I used AB marine and 5/4 fir
      for framing and planking. I have found that working in a small garage
      with exposed studs on the walls quite helpful for bracing and keeping
      the assembly from moving while installing components.

      The only real gaffe so far is the strange 1/4 error in the transom
      starboard side when horning off from the stem. All other bulkheads
      are square. The only thing I can imagine is that I somehow lined up
      the transom and it slipped while gluing. The error is not noticeable
      and all else is square with no twists evident. As the bottom is next,
      this step of getting the twists out is critical. Photos this weekend.
      I am racing to do the gluing before the temperature plummets in the
      Northeast.

      David Jost
    • kevin donohue
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 21, 2008
        Sounds like it is going to be a deluxe skiff with ab ply.
        The error maay not be yours, errors are frequent in plans and never seem to get corrected.
        Pictures would be nice.
        I remember that you were going to skip the center console, for more room.
        I think you will not loose any room as it sits on top of the seat.
        Good building and keep us posted.
        Sloppy

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 22, 2008
          photos posted at http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeokhsb/boatbuilding.html

          click on the links to follow to the correct boat.
        • Ron Magen
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 24, 2008
            4a. Re: 18' work skiff - update
            Posted by: "dnjost" davidjost@... dnjost
            Date: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:45 pm ((PDT))

            snip
            <click on the links to follow to the correct boat. >

            Dave,
            I hear a shoehorn and a tub of K-Y Jelly {water soluable} works wonders !!
            Ah, the dream of 'real estate'. At least you seem to have a FLAT, CEMENT
            floor . . . I'm jelious.

            Looked at the Diablo . . . 'Viking Funeral', or for the 'multi-use' types, -
            a trip through a wood chipper - for winter sidewalks, 'hole filler epoxy
            mix', etc. However, she doesn't 'owe you anything'. Really not bad looking
            for 20-years of 'Use & Abuse' !!

            Regards & Good Luck,
            Ron Magen
            Backyard Boatshop

            Messages in this topic (3)

            Bolger rules!!!
            - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead
            horses
            (978) 282-1349

          • dnjost
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 4, 2008
              Just a quick update on the progress.

              The second layer of 1/2" ply has been glued and nailed on. If anyone
              is tempting this boat, I would recommend using a flush bit router on
              the first layer prior to applying the second. then the second layer
              could be routed smooth with the sides. Oh well...

              Went to move the boat and discovered that it is going to take a case
              of beer and a few friends to get it out of the garage before the snow
              flies. It weighs around 600-700lbs right now.

              Also switched from WEST to Systems three due to price and ease of
              mixing. I can mix a few batches up in small doses in the time it
              takes to pump the cans.

              David Jost
            • KEVIN A. DONOHUE
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 5, 2008
                how is the sys3 faster?
                pour and go by weight?
                where are your pictures?
                thanks!
                kevin

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 5, 2008
                  The system 3 is faster (handy when glueing up large surfaces such as a
                  double bottom) due to the fact that it is like pouring a glass of milk
                  from the milk jug as opposed to pumping mustard on to your hotdog.
                  The 2:1 mix is easy to measure in disposable graduated cups that I
                  purchased along with the resin. In addition, the opaque jugs show me
                  how much I have left.

                  Photos are at http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeokhsb/worksiff.html

                  small garage does not make it very photogenic.

                  David Jost