Re: [bolger] rectangular spritsail with a forestay and jib??

  • malcolmf
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 19, 2008
      bill shamblin wrote:

      > Builders,
      >
      > Before, i built a "double brick" sort of cabin boat ( MUD TURTLE )
      > 16'x4' and powered her with a 10'x12' rectangular loosefooted
      > spritsail ( on a 2"x6" x16' mast )which was good on all points of
      > sail except hard to windward. The mast was unstayed. I very much
      > like the loose footed spritsail as the easyness of operation doesnt
      > require much of me.
      >
      > Now im thinking of something bigger in the 8'x 24' range with 2 such
      > spritsails and am wondering about adding a forestay ( and sidestays )
      > for a jib and better windward performance on the forward mast ?? the
      > problem im posing is how to have sidestays that attach slightly
      > behind the mast that wont get in the way of the sprit?? sidestays
      > that go up the mast only 1/2 way?
      >
      > Does anyone know about using a loosefooted spritsail with a forestay
      > jib rig?
      >
      > Bill in NC

      I sometimes use a jib with a spritsail on my dory. I do not have a fore
      stay; just haul it up taut & there you go. The only time I use it is
      for long closewinded legs as I generally find it a pain in the neck.
      The spritsail alone will sail very close to the wind, but provides no
      power - you just sit there admiring the bubbles standing in the water
      alongside. The jib makes all the difference by powering the main. I
      suspect that it is a matter of making a slot effect rather than just
      increasing sail area.
      If you have a sturdy mast I question the need for stays or shrouds if
      you didn't need them before. For given sail area, a sprit sail uses a
      short mast. A tall mast & triangular sail of equal area would be a
      different proposition.
      Calm Seas & A Prosperous Voyage
      Malcolm