Re: [bolger] Re: PT decking?

  • .Randy Powell
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 4, 2008
      You do have a very good point. Most of the boats I work on are Muskoka based, these owners spare no expense at storage and repair, that said proper coatings, careful storage and attention to keeping your dry with in reason will extend your boats life. 1963 you say, that would make it 46 I dare say it seems to of survived OK with only traditional coatings.
      Randy
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 4, 2008
        It has had many poor repairs and some poor storage in the past. It was
        inside in the dry for almost ten years and some planks with poor grain
        where split pritty bad. The paint was marine with a high copper bottom
        paint but the bright work was all but gone. Sister ribs where poorly
        done and rot not tepaired or stoped. Think how long it would have
        lasted if taken care of properly rather then half way. There are
        lightnings 50, 60 and nearly 70 years old in good shape.

        wrote:

        > You do have a very good point. Most of the boats I work on are
        Muskoka based, these owners spare no expense at storage and repair,
        that said proper coatings, careful storage and attention to keeping
        your dry with in reason will extend your boats life. 1963 you say, that
        would make it 46 I dare say it seems to of survived OK with only
        traditional coatings.
        > Randy
      • .Randy Powell
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 6, 2008
          Jon,
          Do you have any pictures for us all to enjoy???
          Randy

          wrote:

          > You do have a very good point. Most of the boats I work on are
          Muskoka based, these owners spare no expense at storage and repair,
          that said proper coatings, careful storage and attention to keeping
          your dry with in reason will extend your boats life. 1963 you say, that
          would make it 46 I dare say it seems to of survived OK with only
          traditional coatings.
          > Randy

        • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 6, 2008
            Need to do some more work now that the days are getting shorter and I
            have more time. Need to do some updateing too.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/jons_boat_building/sets/72157602709911781
            /