Re: [bolger] PT decking?

  • .Randy Powell
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 4, 2008
      I don't want to sound like a wood snob but there are a number of great choices for boat building without using substandard "home" products. I have removed Mahogany and Douglas Fir that is 60 and 70 years old and reinstalled it in boats. Not to say that theses are the only good selections, but if you are spending all of this time and effort on a build why try to cut corners and save a bit of money only to have your boat rot out much quicker.
      Any of the Mahogany's, D Fir, Long Leaf Yellow Pine for all you Southern builders, white Oak, and Black Locusts just to name a few. Wooden Boats has a recent article on the water Resistance of the Mahogany's.
      No job is worth doing by half
      Randy
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 4, 2008
        Well said I am restoring a 1962 Lightning that is built with Mahogany
        and Ceder and it is the Mahogany where the rot is. Just as important
        is care after build in the life of a boat for the way the boat is
        built and of what. Wetboats need to be taken cate of differentlythen
        dry boats and system for building and sealing are also different.
        What works for one will shorten the life of the other.

        Jon

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, ".Randy Powell" <rpspiritwaters@...>
        wrote:

        > I don't want to sound like a wood snob but there are a number of
        great choices for boat building without using substandard "home"
        products. I have removed Mahogany and Douglas Fir that is 60 and 70
        years old and reinstalled it in boats. Not to say that theses are the
        only good selections, but if you are spending all of this time and
        effort on a build why try to cut corners and save a bit of money only
        to have your boat rot out much quicker.
        > Any of the Mahogany's, D Fir, Long Leaf Yellow Pine for all you
        Southern builders, white Oak, and Black Locusts just to name a few.
        Wooden Boats has a recent article on the water Resistance of the
        Mahogany's.
        > No job is worth doing by half
        > Randy

          You do have a very good point. Most of the boats I work on are Muskoka based, these owners spare no expense at storage and repair, that said proper coatings, careful storage and attention to keeping your dry with in reason will extend your boats life. 1963 you say, that would make it 46 I dare say it seems to of survived OK with only traditional coatings.
          Randy

          wrote:

          > I don't want to sound like a wood snob but there are a number of
          great choices for boat building without using substandard "home"
          products. I have removed Mahogany and Douglas Fir that is 60 and 70
          years old and reinstalled it in boats. Not to say that theses are the
          only good selections, but if you are spending all of this time and
          effort on a build why try to cut corners and save a bit of money only
          to have your boat rot out much quicker.
          > Any of the Mahogany's, D Fir, Long Leaf Yellow Pine for all you
          Southern builders, white Oak, and Black Locusts just to name a few.
          Wooden Boats has a recent article on the water Resistance of the
          Mahogany's.
          > No job is worth doing by half
          > Randy

        • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 4, 2008
            It has had many poor repairs and some poor storage in the past. It was
            inside in the dry for almost ten years and some planks with poor grain
            where split pritty bad. The paint was marine with a high copper bottom
            paint but the bright work was all but gone. Sister ribs where poorly
            done and rot not tepaired or stoped. Think how long it would have
            lasted if taken care of properly rather then half way. There are
            lightnings 50, 60 and nearly 70 years old in good shape.

            wrote:

            > You do have a very good point. Most of the boats I work on are
            Muskoka based, these owners spare no expense at storage and repair,
            that said proper coatings, careful storage and attention to keeping
            your dry with in reason will extend your boats life. 1963 you say, that
            would make it 46 I dare say it seems to of survived OK with only
            traditional coatings.
            > Randy
          • .Randy Powell
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 6, 2008
              Jon,
              Do you have any pictures for us all to enjoy???
              Randy

              wrote:

              > You do have a very good point. Most of the boats I work on are
              Muskoka based, these owners spare no expense at storage and repair,
              that said proper coatings, careful storage and attention to keeping
              your dry with in reason will extend your boats life. 1963 you say, that
              would make it 46 I dare say it seems to of survived OK with only
              traditional coatings.
              > Randy

            • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 6, 2008
                Need to do some more work now that the days are getting shorter and I
                have more time. Need to do some updateing too.
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/jons_boat_building/sets/72157602709911781
                /