Re: PT decking?

  • Ron Magen
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 1, 2008
      > Posted by: "dnjost" davidjost@... dnjost
      > Date: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:25 am ((PDT))
      > snip
      > The caveat about painting is probably true, . . .

      Dave,
      For what it's worth, here's my 'real time' experience. While not actually on
      a boat, it's an exposure to the same environmental conditions . . . in the
      Northern Mid-Atlantic area of the US East coast.

      Several years ago -due to a water problem- we enlarged our small patio to
      the full width of the house. This gave us the opportunity to keep the grill
      out year round. To facilitate this I made a decorative 'privacy screen' for
      the area. It also acted as a fence to the good sized vegetable 'side garden'
      {we have two 'Large & Hungry' Malamutes . . think 100-lb rabbits !!}. Two PT
      4x4 as end posts {topped 'Pineapple' finials}, two PT 2x4's for top & bottom
      rails, and a piece of white vinyl 'cross-hatch' screen. The wood got two
      coats of water-based primer, then two coats of White water-based house
      paint. Stainless Steel screws, of course. Simple yet elegant.

      Bottom line . . ?? Haven't touched it since I built it. No 'refreshing' of
      the paint, exposed to snow, ice, sun. rain, and spray from daily garden
      watering.

      As an additional note . . . I built Joanne a 'Rose Trellis Entrance for the
      front of the house. Same PT 2x4's, same finish, same result.

      For me - I think a good priming is the key. Also letting the primer 'cure'
      per instructions {which is actually true for all H20 'paints'} - at least a
      full 14-days at 50 percent, or lower, humidity.

      Regards,
      Ron Magen
      Backyard Boatshop
      {If anyone is interested, I'll post a couple of photo's}
    • dnjost
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 1, 2008
        Great insight and advice. I am going with 5/4 Doug Fir as i have found
        a local yard with lots in stock.

        I will experiment with a June Bug in the spring with the SYP and see
        how it does. the glue up I did will be primed and painted and left to
        the elements all winter clamped under stress to the deck. Will report
        back in March.

        thanks
        David
      • dnjost

          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 1, 2008
            FWIW, the first boat I built was made of strips ripped from 5/4" PT
            decking. After a tree fell over and smashed the deck behind our house, a
            boat seemed like a better destination for the old deck than the
            landfill. The 14' boat weighed a ton (well ... more than one wants a 14'
            boat to weigh, anyway). After a couple voyages to prove that it didn't
            sink, it landed in a pre-school playground (with holes in the bottom to
            let the rain out).

            So far as I know, it is still there 17 years later, providing voyages to
            Australia and other destinations in the "Continent Song". Edge-nailed
            the strips with galvanized finishing nails, glued with liquid nails,
            painted with latex, minimal thought to priming or whatever. The wood was
            well-seasoned -- probably at least 8 years in the north Louisiana sun
            and rain. May have been repainted, but not in the first few years.

            Patrick

            dnjost wrote:
            > The test so far is positive. I have a real good glue bond between to
            > overlapped 8' 1.5 x 1.5" strips. side to side motion cannot break the
            > bond. I will develop a torsion test to see if somehow I can get the
            > glue to break with maximum torque applied vertically to the glue line.
            > I can see the Mythbusters folks having some fun with this.
            >
            > The caveat about painting is probably true, but I bet if I epoxy the
            > surfaces throroughly I can then paint over it. However, after all that
            > work I would probably be better off just locating some southern yellow
            > pine that is untreated. It is not available at my local central
            > Massachusetts lumber yards. For what it's worth my Pointy Skiff with
            > external chines made out of common spf boards with good ply is going on
            > it's 25th year with only a couple of rot spots showing up in the past
            > few years.
            >
            > David Jost

          • Chris Crandall
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 1, 2008
              > 3c. > Posted by: "dnjost" davidjost@... dnjost
              > Date: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:09 am ((PDT))
              >
              > Thanks to all for your thoughts. I have located 16' clear 5/4 SYP
              > boards no more than 30 miles from home. They also stock AB Marine Ply.
              > at $60 per sheet for 1/2". No need to risk playing with the pressure
              > treated stuff or using ACX for the bottom, rot should not be such an
              > issue now.

              David: The difference between "AB Marine Ply" and ACX is NOT rot
              resistance (or at least, not much). The difference is in the quality of
              the glue, and the relative number of voids within the plys (and how
              these voids are treated). OK, and B is cleaner and nicer than C.

              Your worries about rot are not over for the plywood, and I wouldn't
              treat either plywood different--they are both reasonably rot resistant,
              and your concerns are going to be at the joints and joins, where fresh
              water will be the issue.

              You are likely find AB marine ply superior wood in many ways, and worth
              the extra $$$'s. But you still must be vigilant about rot.

              See Jim Michalak's next-most recent website posting on rot:

              http://www.jimsboats.com/15sep08.htm

              You can see my personal grief in photos there.
            • Steven Rose
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 1, 2008
                Many books I have read mention that MDO (Dura-ply in Canada) is also an
                excellent product for boat building. Apparently it's made for outdoor signs,
                I have looked at it but have never had the chance to try it out. Just a
                thought :-)

                Steve

                _____

                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 1, 2008
                  Chris

                  Are you sure about the glue thing? I was told a few
                  years ago that marine ply and exterior used the same
                  glue. Do you know what the difference is?

                  I was at my neighborhood Lowe's the other day and the
                  most likely-looking stuff they had featured a sign
                  saying "only for use in sheltered applications" (or
                  something to that effect). Has the whole industry
                  changed with out me being notified?

                  Dave

                  I have given two cousins to war and I stand ready to sacrifice my wife's brother. -Artemus Ward
                • dnjost
                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 1, 2008
                    I put the lay up to the test today. I stepped on the glued 1X1 PT
                    strips and low and behold I am now the proud owner of two tomato stakes.

                    The pieces parted nicely at the glue line with minimal damage to the
                    surrounding wood.

                    In my honest opinion PT Southern Yellow Pine is not a suitable
                    boatbuilding product.
                  • Fred Schumacher
                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 1, 2008
                      If you live in the north, the pressure treated wood you get could be Red
                      Pine (pinus resinosa, also called Norway Pine). This is lighter than SYP and
                      nearly as strong as Douglas Fir. It takes pressure treating beautifully and
                      doesn't need holes poked into it, like White Pine. Red Pine is an extremely
                      tough wood. My logger friend says you can skid a log and wrap it around a
                      tree and it won't break.

                      Fred Schumacher

                      On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 5:33 PM, dnjost <davidjost@...> wrote:

                      > While building my 18' Workskiff, I came across some very nice pressure
                      > treated Southern Yellow Pine that seems just the right stuff for the
                      > chines. I am gluing up a test piece to see how happy it takes to
                      > epoxy. Will file a report this week with an update.
                      >
                      > Has anyone tried this?
                      >
                      > David Jost
                      > "working between the raindrops of Kyle"

                    • Giuliano Girometta
                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 1, 2008
                        Recently I salvaged several boards from the demolition of a 85 year old building.
                        The wood look like some kind of pine but I was not sure because i never seen anthing like that. So I consulted with someone expert in woods.
                        The wood is "Southern Yellow Pine" and that is the real one.
                        The guy explained to me that today's SYP is different because now they alter the genetic of the seeds in order to obtain fast growing threes.
                        The old grow is much strongher and rot resistant that the new one and he also told me to be ready to re-sharp the saw blades, jointer and planer knifes very often if I am going to use such wood.
                        In fact, the SYP is classified as a good replacement for white oak.
                        I am planning to use such wood for the frames of my Atkin Unsanctioned.
                        I also discovered in a local museum that SYP was the major shipbuilding lumber here in Texas in the 1800 and even during WW1 some cargo ships were constructed with SYP and pieces of vessels constructed in the late 1800 survived somewhere till about 15 years ago before entering the display cabinet at the museum.
                        About epoxy and treated SYP, according to the report and tests performed by the US Forest Service the bonding is good as with untreated wood, but the treated wood must be dry and not impregnated as most  commonly found at the retail stores. After the wood is dry, the weight also return to the original value. (Some lumberyards carry dry PT).

                        Giuliano

                        On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 5:33 PM, dnjost <davidjost@verizon. net> wrote:

                        > While building my 18' Workskiff, I came across some very nice pressure
                        > treated Southern Yellow Pine that seems just the right stuff for the
                        > chines. I am gluing up a test piece to see how happy it takes to
                        > epoxy. Will file a report this week with an update.
                        >
                        > Has anyone tried this?
                        >
                        > David Jost
                        > "working between the raindrops of Kyle"

                      • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 1, 2008
                          Let me try to get this across again. In just the last few years they
                          changed the chemistry by federal law for PT lumber. Old and new
                          chemistry reacted with glue bonding of any type and the new with most
                          fasteners. Both chemistrys cycle salts to the surface with moisture
                          content changes.

                          MDO is great for boat building if it is a good grade of MDO good thing
                          to check on. Exterior ply has notmaly thicker iner plys and thinner
                          surface plyes. Marine has typicaly even thickness plys no voids on iner
                          plys more plys for thickness and more of the same glue. MDO of a good
                          grade will have even thickness iner plys a thin outer ply and the
                          overlay good cores and even more of the same glue as marine. HDO is
                          like MDO but the overlay is harder smoth and bonds poorly.
                        • Chris Crandall
                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 2, 2008
                            Guiliano:

                            What you are calling SYP is longleaf pine. SYP is a collection of many
                            different kinds of pine trees (jack pine, slash pine, etc.). Longleaf
                            pine can be categorized as SYP, and old-growth longleaf pine is a real
                            treasure of a wood. Save it and use it wisely. It will take epoxy.

                            Modern SYP is less good, and modern longleaf pine tends to be less good,
                            too, in part because it is induced, as you say, to grow more quickly.
                            This is part genetic, and part the way it is treated by foresters. The
                            same is true these days with Douglas firin the opposite part of the
                            country. The old growth stuff is amazing, the new stuff is pretty OK.

                            > Posted by: "Giuliano Girometta" ggboat1@... ggboat1 Date: Wed
                            > Oct 1, 2008 7:49 pm ((PDT))
                            >
                            > Recently I salvaged several boards from the demolition of a 85 year
                            > old building. The wood look like some kind of pine but I was not sure
                            > because i never seen anthing like that. So I consulted with someone
                            > expert in woods. The wood is "Southern Yellow Pine" and that is the
                            > real one. The guy explained to me that today's SYP is different
                            > because now they alter the genetic of the seeds in order to obtain
                            > fast growing threes. The old grow is much strongher and rot resistant
                            > that the new one and he also told me to be ready to re-sharp the saw
                            > blades, jointer and planer knifes very often if I am going to use
                            > such wood. In fact, the SYP is classified as a good replacement for
                            > white oak. I am planning to use such wood for the frames of my Atkin
                            > Unsanctioned. I also discovered in a local museum that SYP was the
                            > major shipbuilding lumber here in Texas in the 1800 and even during
                            > WW1 some cargo ships were constructed with SYP and pieces of vessels
                            > constructed in the late 1800 survived somewhere till about 15 years
                            > ago before entering the display cabinet at the museum. About epoxy
                            > and treated SYP, according to the report and tests performed by the
                            > US Forest Service the bonding is good as with untreated wood, but the
                            > treated wood must be dry and not impregnated as most commonly found
                            > at the retail stores. After the wood is dry, the weight also return
                            > to the original value. (Some lumberyards carry dry PT).
                            >
                            > Giuliano
                          • Giuliano Girometta
                            Message 13 of 29 , Oct 2, 2008
                              Thank you for the correction. This is what I was meaning but I forgot to type correctly and I omit the world "longleaf".
                              That wood is like gold for me, is nice straight grained and was left for 85 years in a perfect enviroment (the attic of a Sunday School building at my church and the roof was always keept in good leak proof conditions since the construction). I wish there was more time to salvage more lumber but someone donated the money for the disposal containers and for the buldozzer so all went very quick and I got only one day to salvage the most I can, while all the remaining went in splinters max 24" long the very next day. (Really very sad to loose so much good wood) Unfortunatly the environmentalist found some traces of asbestos in the joint compound on the sheetrock and therefore the manual demolition was going to be extremely expensive if done by a contractor.
                              I removed as much material I can with the help of two friends but at a certain point we were forced to leave the building in a hurry when we feel the ceiling dropping down about five inches under our feet.

                              Giuliano

                              What you are calling SYP is longleaf pine. SYP is a collection of many
                              different kinds of pine trees (jack pine, slash pine, etc.). Longleaf
                              pine can be categorized as SYP, and old-growth longleaf pine is a real
                              treasure of a wood. Save it and use it wisely. It will take epoxy.

                              Modern SYP is less good, and modern longleaf pine tends to be less good,
                              too, in part because it is induced, as you say, to grow more quickly.
                              This is part genetic, and part the way it is treated by foresters. The
                              same is true these days with Douglas firin the opposite part of the
                              country. The old growth stuff is amazing, the new stuff is pretty OK.

                              > Posted by: "Giuliano Girometta" ggboat1@yahoo. com ggboat1 Date: Wed
                              > Oct 1, 2008 7:49 pm ((PDT))
                              >
                              > Recently I salvaged several boards from the demolition of a 85 year
                              > old building. The wood look like some kind of pine but I was not sure
                              > because i never seen anthing like that. So I consulted with someone
                              > expert in woods. The wood is "Southern Yellow Pine" and that is the
                              > real one. The guy explained to me that today's SYP is different
                              > because now they alter the genetic of the seeds in order to obtain
                              > fast growing threes. The old grow is much strongher and rot resistant
                              > that the new one and he also told me to be ready to re-sharp the saw
                              > blades, jointer and planer knifes very often if I am going to use
                              > such wood. In fact, the SYP is classified as a good replacement for
                              > white oak. I am planning to use such wood for the frames of my Atkin
                              > Unsanctioned. I also discovered in a local museum that SYP was the
                              > major shipbuilding lumber here in Texas in the 1800 and even during
                              > WW1 some cargo ships were constructed with SYP and pieces of vessels
                              > constructed in the late 1800 survived somewhere till about 15 years
                              > ago before entering the display cabinet at the museum. About epoxy
                              > and treated SYP, according to the report and tests performed by the
                              > US Forest Service the bonding is good as with untreated wood, but the
                              > treated wood must be dry and not impregnated as most commonly found
                              > at the retail stores. After the wood is dry, the weight also return
                              > to the original value. (Some lumberyards carry dry PT).
                              >
                              > Giuliano

                            • .Randy Powell
                              Message 14 of 29 , Oct 4, 2008
                                I don't want to sound like a wood snob but there are a number of great choices for boat building without using substandard "home" products. I have removed Mahogany and Douglas Fir that is 60 and 70 years old and reinstalled it in boats. Not to say that theses are the only good selections, but if you are spending all of this time and effort on a build why try to cut corners and save a bit of money only to have your boat rot out much quicker.
                                Any of the Mahogany's, D Fir, Long Leaf Yellow Pine for all you Southern builders, white Oak, and Black Locusts just to name a few. Wooden Boats has a recent article on the water Resistance of the Mahogany's.
                                No job is worth doing by half
                                Randy

                                Message 15 of 29 , Oct 4, 2008
                                  Well said I am restoring a 1962 Lightning that is built with Mahogany
                                  and Ceder and it is the Mahogany where the rot is. Just as important
                                  is care after build in the life of a boat for the way the boat is
                                  built and of what. Wetboats need to be taken cate of differentlythen
                                  dry boats and system for building and sealing are also different.
                                  What works for one will shorten the life of the other.

                                  Jon

                                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, ".Randy Powell" <rpspiritwaters@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > I don't want to sound like a wood snob but there are a number of
                                  great choices for boat building without using substandard "home"
                                  products. I have removed Mahogany and Douglas Fir that is 60 and 70
                                  years old and reinstalled it in boats. Not to say that theses are the
                                  only good selections, but if you are spending all of this time and
                                  effort on a build why try to cut corners and save a bit of money only
                                  to have your boat rot out much quicker.
                                  > Any of the Mahogany's, D Fir, Long Leaf Yellow Pine for all you
                                  Southern builders, white Oak, and Black Locusts just to name a few.
                                  Wooden Boats has a recent article on the water Resistance of the
                                  Mahogany's.
                                  > No job is worth doing by half
                                  > Randy

                                    You do have a very good point. Most of the boats I work on are Muskoka based, these owners spare no expense at storage and repair, that said proper coatings, careful storage and attention to keeping your dry with in reason will extend your boats life. 1963 you say, that would make it 46 I dare say it seems to of survived OK with only traditional coatings.
                                    Randy

                                    wrote:

                                    > I don't want to sound like a wood snob but there are a number of
                                    great choices for boat building without using substandard "home"
                                    products. I have removed Mahogany and Douglas Fir that is 60 and 70
                                    years old and reinstalled it in boats. Not to say that theses are the
                                    only good selections, but if you are spending all of this time and
                                    effort on a build why try to cut corners and save a bit of money only
                                    to have your boat rot out much quicker.
                                    > Any of the Mahogany's, D Fir, Long Leaf Yellow Pine for all you
                                    Southern builders, white Oak, and Black Locusts just to name a few.
                                    Wooden Boats has a recent article on the water Resistance of the
                                    Mahogany's.
                                    > No job is worth doing by half
                                    > Randy

                                  • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Oct 4, 2008
                                      It has had many poor repairs and some poor storage in the past. It was
                                      inside in the dry for almost ten years and some planks with poor grain
                                      where split pritty bad. The paint was marine with a high copper bottom
                                      paint but the bright work was all but gone. Sister ribs where poorly
                                      done and rot not tepaired or stoped. Think how long it would have
                                      lasted if taken care of properly rather then half way. There are
                                      lightnings 50, 60 and nearly 70 years old in good shape.

                                      wrote:

                                      > You do have a very good point. Most of the boats I work on are
                                      Muskoka based, these owners spare no expense at storage and repair,
                                      that said proper coatings, careful storage and attention to keeping
                                      your dry with in reason will extend your boats life. 1963 you say, that
                                      would make it 46 I dare say it seems to of survived OK with only
                                      traditional coatings.
                                      > Randy
                                    • .Randy Powell
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Oct 6, 2008
                                        Jon,
                                        Do you have any pictures for us all to enjoy???
                                        Randy

                                        wrote:

                                        > You do have a very good point. Most of the boats I work on are
                                        Muskoka based, these owners spare no expense at storage and repair,
                                        that said proper coatings, careful storage and attention to keeping
                                        your dry with in reason will extend your boats life. 1963 you say, that
                                        would make it 46 I dare say it seems to of survived OK with only
                                        traditional coatings.
                                        > Randy

                                      • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Oct 6, 2008
                                          Need to do some more work now that the days are getting shorter and I
                                          have more time. Need to do some updateing too.
                                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/jons_boat_building/sets/72157602709911781
                                          /