RE: [bolger] Re: seizing rope onto double paddle for Payson Pirogue

  • Michael Galvin
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 10, 2008
      Aaron

      I did launch my Payson Pirogue last weekend, and I was very happy with her.
      I've taken lots of pictures of her construction and launch, and even took a
      short video of me paddling her for the first time. I haven't had time yet
      to assemble things into nice web page, but hope to within the next week. My
      web site is "mgalvin.com/boatbuilding." I've posted stuff there about
      building a Nymph and a Junebug, some pictures of Phil Bolger's old
      Resolution, a visit to Dynamite Payson's shop, and building oars for my
      Junebug. Nothing there about my Payson Pirogue, yet.

      I ended up using Turk's head knots on the paddles as drip rings. The Turk's
      heads were not hard to tie, do seem to work well, and look salty, to boot.

      After using the Pirogue, as Bolger suggested, without a seat and footrests,
      I'd like to try a seat to see if it adds comfort and efficiency. I wanted
      to try building a wooden seat according to plans in Mark Pettingill's book
      on building "Sweat Dream", a canoe he designed much like the Pirogue. I am
      running out of good weather here in Michigan, so I instead decided to order
      a commercially made seat from a company called "Surf to Summit," what they
      call a "Tech Molded Kayak Seat with Pack," for $88.

      Mike Galvin

      Muskegon, MI

      mgalvin.com/boatbuilding