Re: [bolger] seizing rope onto double paddle for Payson Pirogue

  • Christopher Wetherill
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 5, 2008
      Found a link for french hitching:
      http://www.geocities.com/roo_two/clovehitch.html

      Michael Galvin wrote:
      > I just finished building a Payson Pirogue, a double-paddle canoe (deckless
      > kayak), described in "Boats with an Open Mind." I built a pair of double
      > paddles according to Bolger's plan. He calls for wrapping rope on the ends
      > of the handle, near the paddles. He describes this as "drip seizing" rope
      > onto the handle. He sketches a nice, neat wrap.
      >
      > Can anyone suggest how this is done? What sort of knot is used to make it
      > look neat? It reminds of building structures in Boy Scout "pioneering" in
      > which we "wrapped and frapped" cordage around logs to join them together. I
      > think we started the wrap with a clove hitch, and ended it with a clove
      > hitch.
      >
      > Anyone got a better idea? Can you point me to a diagram of how this is
      > done?
      >

      > Michael Galvin
      >
      > mgalvin.com/boatbuilding
      >
      > Muskegon, MI

    • Bob Johnson
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 5, 2008
        On Friday, September 5, 2008, at 02:03 PM, Chris wrote:

        > You might also look for a
        > copy of a book by Harvey Garrett Smith titled Marlinspike Seamanship.
        > It was also published under the title The Arts of the Sailor.

        Just to clarify, but those are not the same book. There is a good deal
        of overlap in the material presented, but _The Marlinspike Sailor_ came
        first, published by the Rudder in 1949. _The Arts of the Sailor_ came
        next, published by Van Nostrand in 1953.

        TMS is larger format and very skill and/or project oriented. TAotS is
        more narrative, sort of a text book of traditional ways. Both are
        worth having and are available in reprint editions.

        Bob
      • Michael Galvin
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 5, 2008
          Aaron

          I would love to see a picture of your Pirogue and skirt. I've taken lots of
          photos of the construction of my Pirogue and will organize them into a page
          on my website, soon. The paint is curing on my boat as I type. I expect to
          launch her Sunday.

          Michael Galvin

          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 5, 2008
            Bruce

            Thanks for the suggestion of "whipping" the pole as if it where the end of a
            line. I should have thought of that. It's a great idea. Simplicity itself.

            Mike Galvin

            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 5, 2008
              Jon

              Thanks for your ideas. The paddle I constructed does not come apart, so
              rings aren't an option.

              Mike Galvin

              > I just finished building a Payson Pirogue, a double-paddle canoe
              (deckless
              > kayak), described in "Boats with an Open Mind." I built a pair of
              double
              > paddles according to Bolger's plan. He calls for wrapping rope on
              the ends
              > of the handle, near the paddles. He describes this as "drip
              seizing" rope
              > onto the handle. He sketches a nice, neat wrap.
              >
              > Can anyone suggest how this is done? What sort of knot is used to
              make it
              > look neat? It reminds of building structures in Boy
              Scout "pioneering" in
              > which we "wrapped and frapped" cordage around logs to join them
              together. I
              > think we started the wrap with a clove hitch, and ended it with a
              clove
              > hitch.
              >
              > Anyone got a better idea? Can you point me to a diagram of how
              this is
              > done?

              I used rope to make leathers and buttons on set of oars a while back,
              all without knots. I glued the starting ends of the leathers to the
              oar, wrapped away, then glued the other end. For the buttons, which
              are probably closer to the drip rings on a double paddle, I used a
              hot knife to cut both ends of a piece of rope and quickly stuck the
              two ends together while they were still hot. Then I slipped the ring
              down the oar handle and epoxied it in place. I then brushed all the
              rope with epoxy, down in the "valleys" between the wrappings and
              such. This process is described in Payson's book "Build the New
              Instant Boats" in the chapter on Gypsy.

              The oars are backup for a motorboat, and I've only used them once to
              sneek up to a fishing spot, so I can't comment on longevity. Rubber
              drip rings for double paddles are available online, assuming your
              paddle comes apart to get them on the shaft.

              Jon Kolb

            • Michael Galvin
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 5, 2008
                Chris

                That Turk's Head looks cool, and do-able by an old scout who never advanced
                beyond Life. I didn't understand the French hitch suggestion. I see how I
                could place a Turk's head at the ends of the pole, inboard of the paddle,
                but where would the French hitch go.

                Mike Galvin

                I would use a turks head on each end and a french hitch in between.
                Turks head is here:
                http://www.troop54.com/knots/TurksHeadKnot/TurksHeadKnot.htm French
                hitching is simply consecutive half hitches. You might also look for a
                copy of a book by Harvey Garrett Smith titled Marlinspike Seamanship.
                It was also published under the title The Arts of the Sailor.

                V/R
                Chris

                Michael Galvin wrote:
                > I just finished building a Payson Pirogue, a double-paddle canoe (deckless
                > kayak), described in "Boats with an Open Mind." I built a pair of double
                > paddles according to Bolger's plan. He calls for wrapping rope on the ends
                > of the handle, near the paddles. He describes this as "drip seizing" rope
                > onto the handle. He sketches a nice, neat wrap.
                >
                > Can anyone suggest how this is done? What sort of knot is used to make it
                > look neat? It reminds of building structures in Boy Scout "pioneering" in
                > which we "wrapped and frapped" cordage around logs to join them together.
                > think we started the wrap with a clove hitch, and ended it with a clove
                > hitch.
                >
                > Anyone got a better idea? Can you point me to a diagram of how this is
                > done?
                >

                > Michael Galvin
                >
                > mgalvin.com/boatbuilding
                >
                > Muskegon, MI

                > ------------------------------------

                horses
                (978) 282-1349
                <mailto:bolger-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
                <mailto:bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe%40yahoogroups.com> Yahoo! Groups
                Links

              • nordski62
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 6, 2008
                  Michael,

                  I just posted a couple of photos to an album titled "Bolger Canoe". I'm headed out boating
                  this morning and will take a few pictures of the spray skirt. The skirt was easy to make and
                  really works well. Happy launching on Sunday! Do you have your boat set up with a kayak type
                  seat? Aaron

                  > I would love to see a picture of your Pirogue and skirt. I've taken lots of
                  > photos of the construction of my Pirogue and will organize them into a page
                  > on my website, soon. The paint is curing on my boat as I type. I expect to
                  > launch her Sunday.
                  >
                  > Michael Galvin
                • Christopher Wetherill
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 6, 2008
                    Michael,

                    I sent a subsequent post with a view of the french hitching, but it
                    didn't get on for some reason. Here it is again:
                    http://www.geocities.com/roo_two/clovehitch.html It is basically a
                    multi-[ass clove hitch. The idea is that you would make the whole thing
                    out of one piece of string..

                    V/R
                    Chris

                    Michael Galvin wrote:
                    > Chris
                    >
                    > That Turk's Head looks cool, and do-able by an old scout who never advanced
                    > beyond Life. I didn't understand the French hitch suggestion. I see how I
                    > could place a Turk's head at the ends of the pole, inboard of the paddle,
                    > but where would the French hitch go.
                    >
                    > Mike Galvin

                  • Christopher Wetherill
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 6, 2008
                      Thanks for the clarification. I had one or the other and had read the
                      one I didn't have and had reached the idea that they were the same.
                      Unfortunately, my parents sold the house and moved onto their boat while
                      I was at sea and it got lost in the shuffle.

                      V/R
                      Chris

                      Bob Johnson wrote:
                      > On Friday, September 5, 2008, at 02:03 PM, Chris wrote:
                      >

                      >> You might also look for a
                      >> copy of a book by Harvey Garrett Smith titled Marlinspike Seamanship.
                      >> It was also published under the title The Arts of the Sailor.
                      >>

                      > Just to clarify, but those are not the same book. There is a good deal
                      > of overlap in the material presented, but _The Marlinspike Sailor_ came
                      > first, published by the Rudder in 1949. _The Arts of the Sailor_ came
                      > next, published by Van Nostrand in 1953.
                      >
                      > TMS is larger format and very skill and/or project oriented. TAotS is
                      > more narrative, sort of a text book of traditional ways. Both are
                      > worth having and are available in reprint editions.
                      >
                      > Bob

                    • Christopher Wetherill
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 6, 2008
                        Michael,

                        Third try to post this link.

                        I sent a subsequent post with a view of the french hitching, but it
                        didn't get on for some reason. Here it is again:
                        http://www.geocities.com/roo_two/clovehitch.html It is basically a
                        multi-pass clove hitch. The idea is that you would make the whole
                        thing out of one piece of string. Turks head on either end with french
                        hitching in the middle. Not as simple as whipping, but I think it is
                        more secure.

                        V/R
                        Chris

                        V/R
                        Chris --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Galvin"
                        <michaelgalvin@...> wrote:

                        > Chris
                        >
                        > That Turk's Head looks cool, and do-able by an old scout who never
                        > beyond Life. I didn't understand the French hitch suggestion. I
                        see how I
                        > could place a Turk's head at the ends of the pole, inboard of the
                        paddle,
                        > but where would the French hitch go.
                        >
                        > Mike Galvin

                      • Michael Galvin
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 6, 2008
                          Thanks for uploading the photos of your "Bolger Canoe." I love the colors
                          you chose. I chose almost the same color inside the boat as you. I see you
                          beefed up the gunwhales and extended them from stem to stern, and added what
                          I think are footrests, or maybe blocks into which the seat is screwed.

                          I did not build a kayak seat into my boat. A local kayak salesman said he
                          thought it was nuts to paddle a kayak without a backrest and footrests.
                          Somewhere, Bolger has written he thinks kayakers should not rest their backs
                          on anything, instead, keeping their upper body loose, letting the boat rock
                          from side to side underneath them. I can't remember his entire line of
                          thinking. I respect his opinion so much, I'll try my boat first his way,
                          without a seat, and maybe latter add a seat.

                          When I launch tomorrow, I'll try to take some video so everyone can see how
                          the boat paddles with an overweight amateur.

                          By the way, I intend to take my Payson Pirogue, and my old Junebug, to the
                          Lake Monroe Messabout near Bloomington, IN on Sept. 19-21. Hope to see some
                          other Midwesterners there.

                          Michael Galvin

                          Muskegon, MI

                          I just posted a couple of photos to an album titled "Bolger Canoe". I'm
                          headed out boating
                          this morning and will take a few pictures of the spray skirt. The skirt was
                          easy to make and
                          really works well. Happy launching on Sunday! Do you have your boat set up
                          with a kayak type
                          seat? Aaron

                          > I would love to see a picture of your Pirogue and skirt. I've taken lots
                          of
                          > photos of the construction of my Pirogue and will organize them into a
                          page
                          > on my website, soon. The paint is curing on my boat as I type. I expect to
                          > launch her Sunday.
                          >
                          > Michael Galvin

                        • Ford Walton
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 6, 2008
                            Michael,

                            The rings provide an edge for water to drip off, instead of running down the paddle shaft to your hands, so they don't need to be wide, but should be relatively high. I have used turkshead knots made of 1/8 or 3/16" nylon braid for drip rings, but a single strand of 1/4 " rope with the ends melted together would work as well. Turksheads used as bracelets are usually doubled or tripled; the line passed along the original knot two or thee times. This is not needed for drip rings. Google "how to tie turkshead" for better directions than I can give here for the knot, or look in almost any knot book.

                            Good luck,
                            Ford Walton

                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 6, 2008
                              I have no opinion on the back rest except as an old guy I need one after
                              a while. You do have to tie your bottom to the boat firmly however. On
                              my kayaks the seat and seat sides are a tight fit on my hips and make
                              the boat part of my lower body. You start slipping around in waves and
                              you will get in trouble quick. If you move around and can't brace your
                              feet you can't put force on the paddle either. That all being said, I
                              still think rowing is a better way to go, though that is a digression.

                              HJ

                              Michael Galvin wrote:
                              > --snip--
                              >
                              > I did not build a kayak seat into my boat. A local kayak salesman said he
                              > thought it was nuts to paddle a kayak without a backrest and footrests.
                              > Somewhere, Bolger has written he thinks kayakers should not rest their backs
                              > on anything, instead, keeping their upper body loose, letting the boat rock
                              > from side to side underneath them. I can't remember his entire line of
                              > thinking. I respect his opinion so much, I'll try my boat first his way,
                              > without a seat, and maybe latter add a seat.
                              >
                              > When I launch tomorrow, I'll try to take some video so everyone can see how
                              > the boat paddles with an overweight amateur.
                              >
                              > By the way, I intend to take my Payson Pirogue, and my old Junebug, to the
                              > Lake Monroe Messabout near Bloomington, IN on Sept. 19-21. Hope to see some
                              > other Midwesterners there.
                              >

                              > Michael Galvin
                              >
                              > Muskegon, MI

                            • a&a julian
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 7, 2008
                                Michael, your boat is a little beauty!
                                For a cheap seat which is very comfortable see
                                http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=798859&postcount=4
                                'Rings' cut from a foam camping mat, glued with a cheap contact cement.
                                Sit on the flat side, not the 'ringed' side.
                                Can't remember whose kayak website I pinched the idea from.
                                cheers
                                Alan J
                                South Australia

                                > I did not build a kayak seat into my boat. A local kayak salesman said he
                                > thought it was nuts to paddle a kayak without a backrest and footrests.
                                > Somewhere, Bolger has written he thinks kayakers should not rest their
                                > backs
                                > on anything, instead, keeping their upper body loose, letting the boat
                                > rock
                                > from side to side underneath them. I can't remember his entire line of
                                > thinking. I respect his opinion so much, I'll try my boat first his way,
                                > without a seat, and maybe latter add a seat.
                                >
                                > Michael Galvin

                              • nordski62
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 10, 2008
                                  Michael,

                                  I've been out of town and just now getting back and uploading a picture of the spray skirt
                                  and seat. I'd like to see your Canoe but can't seem to find your web site. Aaron

                                  > I would love to see a picture of your Pirogue and skirt. I've taken lots of
                                  > photos of the construction of my Pirogue and will organize them into a page
                                  > on my website, soon. The paint is curing on my boat as I type. I expect to
                                  > launch her Sunday.
                                  >
                                  > Michael Galvin
                                • Michael Galvin
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 10, 2008
                                    Aaron

                                    I did launch my Payson Pirogue last weekend, and I was very happy with her.
                                    I've taken lots of pictures of her construction and launch, and even took a
                                    short video of me paddling her for the first time. I haven't had time yet
                                    to assemble things into nice web page, but hope to within the next week. My
                                    web site is "mgalvin.com/boatbuilding." I've posted stuff there about
                                    building a Nymph and a Junebug, some pictures of Phil Bolger's old
                                    Resolution, a visit to Dynamite Payson's shop, and building oars for my
                                    Junebug. Nothing there about my Payson Pirogue, yet.

                                    I ended up using Turk's head knots on the paddles as drip rings. The Turk's
                                    heads were not hard to tie, do seem to work well, and look salty, to boot.

                                    After using the Pirogue, as Bolger suggested, without a seat and footrests,
                                    I'd like to try a seat to see if it adds comfort and efficiency. I wanted
                                    to try building a wooden seat according to plans in Mark Pettingill's book
                                    on building "Sweat Dream", a canoe he designed much like the Pirogue. I am
                                    running out of good weather here in Michigan, so I instead decided to order
                                    a commercially made seat from a company called "Surf to Summit," what they
                                    call a "Tech Molded Kayak Seat with Pack," for $88.

                                    Mike Galvin

                                    Muskegon, MI

                                    mgalvin.com/boatbuilding